Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
ddawg16

Default DDawg16's Garage Build in One Post

I started my garage build back in October of 2008......I had many posts documenting it's progress....then I got asked today where my link was to my garage build (and jeep build...another story). Makes sense....so I've pooled all the picks and put them in chronalogical order....

First...a little background....

Old garage was a detached 2 car, 18'x20' in the rear of the property. Besides no storage in the attic, any time it rained, water would pour in through the back and side walls due to them being below grade. Additionally, we planned on doing a 2-story addition to our house so we know we needed storage space while the build was going on. Add in that my wife likes to paint (needs a place for it) and I like to do wood working (paint and sawdust mix too well), and we knew we needed a larger garage....

This is what we were putting up with....

The wood fence has been there for over 50 years and is home to lord knows how termites.

It took 6 months to get the plot plan approved. Part of our problem was that we wanted to build as close to the property line as possible. As long as it is "just a garage", we can build right on the property line and up to 15' high.

A little advice to anyone going through the planning part....when they ask you what the garage is for, do not mention storage or wood working...it's "just a garage", nothing more, nothing less.

Once the plot plan was approved, it was construction plan time....that took another 6 months....because I was building a 2-story garage, I had to have engineering. When it was all said and done....I was approved...placement was 6" from the side property line and 2' from the back. What it meant to me was that I didn't have to eat up any more of my yard for my new 20'x25' garage...I was able to use up the wasted space.

Because I have never done a big concrete project, I sub'd out the foundation and block wall to replace the old wood fence. I learned quite a bit on that exercise....like, what NOT to do....next time I'll just hire the same Jose and Jose that the contractor did.

Some of the best money spent was getting a survey done. It cost $800 but I know exactly where my property line is....it allowed me to actually move over about 6" more than I thought I could. It also showed the neighbor that his tree (which was 6" from the property line) needed to come down. I paid for the removal...but at least there were not upset neighbors...

By October of 2008 I had all my permits....while some people seem to think that California is outragous on costs....all my permits cost me a total of $550.

So on one sunny October day....in roll the demo guys....at the end of the day it was all over....

Going....

Going.....

Gone!

Next was the foundation....what should have been a 1 week job took 3 weeks...and the bastard contractor tried to get more money out of me when he underestimated the concrete...that slab took 20 yards.....

I gave the slab a week to dry....while keeping it wet....???? Seems like a contridiction....

See this pile of dirt? That is what was left over from the foundation work. Unless your contract for the foundation contractor stipulates what to do with it....your stuck with it....it took me 3 months to get rid of this dirt...each week I would fill up 2 of my trash cans and the trash cans of the neighbors on both sides....but i got rid of it.

With the concrete dry enough to work with...it was framing time...truth is, this is some of the most fun I have had. It's like a grown mans erector set...the first floor took me about a week to get up.

This setup was how I was cutting most of my wood....I had my radial arm saw and a table for my compound miter saw setup together....it let me cut some really long pieces using either saw.

This was after about 1 week.

Because of the span and second floor, I had to have a large beam across the middle....7"x16" PSL 20' long...weighed about 650 lbs....raised it myself. It was actually pretty easy.....I used 2 come-alongs attached to boards sticking up above the top plate. It took me about 3 hours for setup and about 30 minutes to crank it into position.

Once that beam was in I could start putting up the floor joists.

The second story is starting to take shape..

This is the ridge beam for the roof. You can see the hole where the spiral stairs will come up.

This photo is in the late January 2009 time frame. We were having a lot of rain....and I was spending way too much time out of town....only half the roof was done so we were using a lot of tarps to 'try' and keep things dry.

By March the roof was done and all the sides closed up. Windows were in and most of the electrical was done.

This is the spiral stair case. We chose this over traditional stairs because we wanted to keep the maximum amount of floor space and we figured that our 3 little ones would be less likely to run up and down these vs straight stairs.

Because the 'attic' is going to be used a lot, I wanted the lighting to be good and not smell. Bare wood absorbs smells, holds dirt and has that old wood smell over time....so I painted the ceiling....this is what it looks like before.....

My oldest son wanted to help....and yes, I know he is not wearing a mask....I caught a ton of flack from the GJ members...

And the finished result.

"Don't try to lead me to temptation, I know the shortcut."

In Progress...2-Story Addition link
2-Story Garage Complete My Garage Build Link
Home for.....
84 CJ7 - With a 'few' modifications.. My Jeep Build Link
And my wife's art Studio...
and 3 kids with more energy than we have...
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
ddawg16

Default Re: DDawg16's Garage Build in One Post

Continued.....

One of the best things I did was installing a sky light....it came in real handy...I just need a short ladder to climb through it and onto the roof....

Now a majority of the work is on the inside. The front wall of the attic got insulation...all walls got drywall.

Front wall in the attic...paint complete....the drywall really helps with keeping down the noise....and just looks a whole lot better.

This is the rear of the garage where the spiral stair case is.

About a year ago someone posted about ugly garage door hardware....this is my solution to the typical angle with holes in it.

And this is a rare photo....the only time the lower level will ever be empty....You can get some idea of the lighting....I used 16 6" recessed cans....right now I have 23W CFL's in them...set up for 3 zones...plenty of light....

View towards the front.

And the final outside view....to keep it from looking like a stucco block, we did stucco on the bottom and vinyl sidding for the second floor.

And no garage is complete without cabinets.....I made mine out of gray melamine. My MIL remoudled her kitchen a few years ago and I got all the doors and drawers. A trip to HD with a sample of the melamine and they mixed me up a gallon of high gloss exteriour that matched the melamine.

I really like this area....all lower cabinets are 8" off the floor..the radial arm saw rip fense is in line with the compound miter saw....so I can use either one and the total works space width is wide enough for 16' boards.

This is my paint storage cabinet....as soon as I have time, I'm going to install doors made of the same material used for wipe off boards....so it will basically be one big wipe board.

All of my airlines are in the walls....I used copper...NOT PVC....the hose real is at the front of the garage....my wife uses it more than I do. But I also have drops in the back of the garage including one right above the radial arm saw.

The bottom is mine....a true man cave and no man cave is complete without a bar....

Well...actually, it has dual purpose....my oldest son comes out and does his homework here in the evening...keeps his little brother and sister away....and I get to be in the garage....works well.

There is still a lot of work to do....mostly storage shelves upstairs and a play area for the kids.

My jeep barely fits....

And you can see why we need the storage upstairs....my wife already has it filled up....and the kids have taken over the front with all their toys....like 10K pieces of Lego...

I do owe a lot of you thanks for some good ideas and guidance....

Next project....2 Story addition to the house...

Home for.....
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-27-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
deathbound

Looks great, wish I had a detached garage to do that to. At least you have room for 1 vehicle, I'm working on making room to get 1 in my garage....if the kids would stop accumulating toys(like me accumulating parts & tools). Excellent work!!!!
Old 06-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #4
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

I thought I was the only guy in L.A. sneaking construction debris into the neighbors' trash cans.

That looks really great. I never saw the previous build threads. That's a huge improvement over the stock California freestanding garage (which I'm saddled with). I'm also impressed you were able to do it without moving the new construction five feet in off the property line.

Excellent write-up.
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:05 AM   #5
sammm

Thanks for sharing...great work!
sammm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:51 AM   #6
ChristopherLutz

Ddawg - very cool garage.

Before moving to Texas, one of the places we lived was Lakewood, near Long Beach. We had a house with the garage in the back....basically, what you started with. I never quite understood why the original construction left 6-15 inches around the garage and property line.

That set up rendered the space completely unusable, except to "critters".

A good pal of mine had a very similar house in Long Beach. His neighbord hood had a zero lot line, where the side wall of his garage made up the "rear portion" of his neighbor's fence. One side of his yard had the same set up for his other neighbor.

I actually liked this better - not only was it a good use of space, but, neighbors talked to one another, worked with each other on projects, painting, decorative trellis (sp?) etc.

Well, enough nostalgia - your new set up is awesome. The thought you put into combining the stucco and siding really paid dividends, it's very attractive to look at.

Thanks for the write up and ideas.
ChristopherLutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:02 AM   #7
JC23

Nice job! I really dig the bracketry for the garage door track, Dawg. Consider that idea stolen and relocated to the Northcoast!

Your son stop coughing up paint loogies yet? haha
JC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:32 AM   #8
Wingnut65

Thanks ddawg for posting this in one thread. I've seen your posts in may threads showing portions of the progress. The garage looks great. I also like the clean look of the brackets.

What are the uppler light switches for? I understand the 3 zones = 3 switches, but there are 2 more a foot higher...?

- Shop Sign: WE DO PRECISION GUESSWORK
- Follow along as I work on my
Wingnut65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #9
ddawg16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut65 View Post
What are the uppler light switches for? I understand the 3 zones = 3 switches, but there are 2 more a foot higher...?
One is for the outside light by the door....the other is for the attic lights. That one is a 3-way...it's sister is about half way up the spiral stair case.

We are so glad we made it a 3-way....quite often we will be going out at the end of the night and you don't realize the attic lights are on until you turn off the ground floor lights...saves a trip.

Home for.....
Old 06-28-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
theroyz71

Very nice. I may have missed it but what is the ceiling height of the 2nd floor?

Any progress on the 2nd story addition to the house? I would love to see that.
theroyz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
ddawg16

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyz71 View Post
Very nice. I may have missed it but what is the ceiling height of the 2nd floor?

Any progress on the 2nd story addition to the house? I would love to see that.
Garage is 15' total in height.

Ground floor - 7' 11" to the ceiling...2x8 floor joists....
Attic....I have about 6' 1" to the bottom of the ridge beam....translation I can walk (I'm 5' 12") the length of the attic in the center without ducking....
On the far side (used for storage), the wall is 3'6", other side (wife's area), 4'6".

Net result....I have 540 sq ft of very usable space up there....

Home for.....
Old 06-28-2010, 12:19 PM   #12
theroyz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I'm 5' 12"

Are you trying to confuse me?
Old 06-28-2010, 06:34 PM   #13
HOTFR8
Super Moderator

Location: Castlemaine, Victoria. The Hot Rod Centre of Australia.

Very impressive. I wish I had an upstairs area.

www.streetrod.com.au

The Beast Runs>http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...0871&showall=1
Sheddwellers>http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...0063&showall=1
The International> http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32307&showall=1

"V8's are Great, But Six inlines Just Fine" - CUMMINS Advertising.
HOTFR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #14
Banana #2505

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I'm 5' 12"
wouldnt that make you 6'0''
Banana #2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #15
jay50
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyz71 View Post
Are you trying to confuse me?
He meant 5" 1" (napoleon)
jay50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:05 PM   #16
ddawg16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay50 View Post
He meant 5" 1" (napoleon)
no...

72"
1.8288E10 angstrom
182.88 cm
1 fathom
0.009090909 furlong
18 hands
0.0018288 km
1.933084413e-016 light year
0.0011363636 miles
5.926637898 parsec
103680 twip (had to look that one up)
2 yards
6 feet

Home for.....
Old 06-29-2010, 05:22 AM   #17
Lookin4'67Galaxieconv

John, nice build! Just wondering, did you consider doing an epoxy floor? I had my garage built in 2007 and did my floor over a weekend. Looking back, I'm very glad I did. Cost less than $200 doing it myself.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=34014

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=222480

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer2 View Post
Without tools and stuff to fix, my life would be boring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Celtic View Post
Tools are cool.. being able to use them is cooler.. being able to use them in front of someone who has no idea and ends up in awe is priceless..

Guess it boils down to them and us.. I like being us..:thumbup:
Lookin4'67Galaxieconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:05 AM   #18
Boyd Who

I love the look of your garage. I wish I could have gone 2 stories on mine, but the cost was more than I could afford.
Boyd Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:47 AM   #19
theroyz71

I love the look too although I would prefer a little more headroom upstairs. Do love the roof lines though.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #20
intimadatorsquizz

very nicely done. it turned out great. how did you get all that stuff up a spiral staircase?