Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > Fabrication & Techniques

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-07-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
e-tek

Default Building my ROTISSERIE!!

Finally getting to the rotisserie I've dreamt about!! Bought the steel last week, along with casters. The casters had just come in to the Steel Recycler and where on the scrap pile. I grabbed a wrench from one of the guys and went out there in my shorts and flip flops to unbolt them - while the guy swinging the GIANT magnet was working right behind me! Being aluminum - and because everything is sold by weight - they came to about $4 each!!!! These are 5inch, ball bearing in cup, aluminum wheels. Perfect for this project!

Wheels cleaned and greased:

e-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:50 AM   #2
Stick Figure

Default Re: Building my ROTISSERIE!!

http://www.rollerhoop.com/ Check out that design before you start building. I know the designer, and have seen it in person. Seems to have some good features. Probably not near as easy to build though.
Stick Figure is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
Fauj

There are also some free plans on Autobody101 as well. I looked them over yesterday and they didn't look too bad. The file you download has the full drawing inside of it.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
Jim Stabe

I'm not sure how you will get the car onto the rotisserie but you might want to consider what I did. I have to work alone much of the time so I needed a way to pick the car up off the ground. I used HF worm drive winches and a wheel from a motorized rolling gate.
Rotisserie.jpg

Rotisserie3.jpg

Rotisserie2.jpg

bottom2.jpg

Building an MGB roadster that is widened 11" with C4 Corvette F&R suspension and blown LT1 V8 with 6 speed. Lots of pictures here:
Part 1
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,7581
Part 2
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,22422
Part 3
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,33108
Jim Stabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
e-tek

Wow - great resources guys - thanks. I was wondering about gettingthe car up to working height!

Your "Cobra" looks wicked from the bottom-side!!!!

Last edited by e-tek; 07-07-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
e-tek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
http://www.rollerhoop.com/ Check out that design before you start building. I know the designer, and have seen it in person. Seems to have some good features. Probably not near as easy to build though.
i bought a bunch of straight rectangular steel - and casters.....don't think I'll be switching to rollerhoop design!! But thanks?
Old 07-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
Stick Figure

I figured you wouldn't but after seeing a car do a 360 turn at the flip of the wrist, i have to share that design when the subject comes up.

Most important is make you sure you post some project pics up. This area really seems to lack beyond the others most of the time.
Stick Figure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #8
e-tek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
I figured you wouldn't but after seeing a car do a 360 turn at the flip of the wrist, i have to share that design when the subject comes up.

Most important is make you sure you post some project pics up. This area really seems to lack beyond the others most of the time.
Looking again at the Hoop set-up, I'm not usre I'd like the hoop being in the way, as well as having those attachment points. The thing about the "standard" rotisserie is that the attachment points are often the bumper points and the unit is out of the way of work being done.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #9
MP&C

Everything has advantages and disadvantages, in looking at the hoops, they save about 5 feet of overall length if you're working in cramped spaces, but add it to the side to make more cramped spaces. The hoops look to be in the way for priming, blocking, painting.....just about everything having to do with the top, bottom, and sides of the car. They would work well for painting the firewall and tail light panel.....then put the car over on a conventional rotisserie to take of everything else.

For your standard rotisserie, the addition of some gusseted standoffs on the body supports will allow easy access all around the body mounting point for media blasting, priming, painting........

.......fits nicely inside a trailer for transport to the media blaster.....

And the easily adjustable CG allows the car to effortlessly be rotated to any position......where it stays..

The $1500 I saved over a hoop system (with casters) will easily pay for the paint on this. Yeah, E-tek, I think you're doing the right thing....and nice score on the casters!

Last edited by MP&C; 07-08-2010 at 08:16 PM.
MP&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:02 PM   #10
caper150

how much do you have into it in steel, the last time I priced up everything for onr I had plan to it came out to $750 and for that price I said hell I'll just buy one and save myself the trouble of all that welding, for now I am using the incredible tip over jig

and yes that is a 4 door 65 Galaxie sitting on it.
caper150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:25 AM   #11
e-tek

Ah yes, the Incredible Tip-over Jig - still a wonderment of non-technological tool-making!!
I bought all the steel and casters for $220 at my local steel recycler. All the Grade 8 nuts and bolts where another $30. A spool of mig wire and a bottle of Mig-mix will be another $60. So I'll be about $310 without paint (I'll just brush it with POR 15 that I already have). My time of course, is free and I like making things, that's why I do what I do - but if you didn't - then buying a nice one for around $1000 would be a consideration for sure. An interesting side note is that the instructions called for 4-5 cut-off wheels for the saw.....I used about 1/2inch of one 14inch wheel to make ALL the cuts (pics to follow!).

Unfortunatley, the kids nanny was sick all week so I had to play Mr. Mom, instead of Mr. Rotisserie. This weekend we are going camping, so I won't get back to it until next week. There's always a wrench somewhere waiting to jump into the fray! Oh well, had some great summer-fun-days with the boys...
Old 07-20-2010, 09:51 PM   #12
e-tek

After getting most my other projects done - and another rainy day in store - I was able to get the welding done on the rotiserrie!

These are the rotating bits:

All that's left to do now are to drill holes for the bolts, pins and casters, then fabricating the attachment points....
Old 07-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #13
e-tek

Further progress today on the rotiserrie by E-tek and Sons:

One thing I've realized is how CRAPPY are the drill bits I've been purchasing. Sure, they've been OK for sheet metal for years, but I ruined 10 or more drilling holes for the casters! I'll need to spring for some high quality bits to drill all the 9/16 & 7/16 holes required for the thumb screws and pivot pins!! What do you guys suggest??
Old 07-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #14
Ford12508

Cobalt all the way if you use them correctly. How do you cool the drill bits while you are drilling the metal?
Ford12508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #15
e-tek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford12508 View Post
Cobalt all the way if you use them correctly. How do you cool the drill bits while you are drilling the metal?
Light oil....
Old 07-28-2010, 09:31 PM   #16
MP&C

Heck, I'd just plug weld them on using the caster mounting holes. Let them cool down in between each hole so you don't burn off the grease from the bearings, and don't clamp your ground across the bearings (take it to the rotis..)
Old 07-28-2010, 11:07 PM   #17
e-tek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
Heck, I'd just plug weld them on using the caster mounting holes. Let them cool down in between each hole so you don't burn off the grease from the bearings, and don't clamp your ground across the bearings (take it to the rotis..)
The casters are aluminum.....(as mentioned early on)
Old 07-29-2010, 06:51 AM   #18
MP&C

Oops, missed that. How about welding the bolts to the bottom of the square tubing to act a studs, position the casters and and nut 'em up...
Old 07-29-2010, 06:57 PM   #19
HOTFR8
Super Moderator

Location: Castlemaine, Victoria. The Hot Rod Centre of Australia.

E-Tek, Very nice and a lot of work has gone into that. Will you paint all that frame works ? I sent you a PM about your other Engine display project.

www.streetrod.com.au

The Beast Runs>http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...0871&showall=1
Sheddwellers>http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...0063&showall=1

"V8's are Great, But Six inlines Just Fine" - CUMMINS Advertising.
HOTFR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:27 PM   #20
79firebird

Looking good. what my buddy did with his home made one was he used the old style car jacks and it worked good for his old hurse
79firebird is offline   Reply With Quote