Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-07-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
juicegoose

Default garage wall covering ideas?

Guys I'm in the process of remodeling my garage. I've taken off the sheetrock and put insulation in the walls. I don't really want to put sheetrock back up because it limits your ability to place things on the wall or get into the wall for electrical of air needs. I was wanting to put some sort of paneling or plywood on the wall and figured I would come ask the advise of guys that have done it. So sound off guys what would you put on your walls in your garage? Additionally i would like to be able to paint it to some extent so particleboard although cheap wouldn't work cause it's nasty course.
juicegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
BirdRacer

Default Re: garage wall covering ideas?

I used MDF
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
mojo_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdRacer View Post
I used MDF
How thick of MDF did you use? 1/4?
mojo_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
JC23

I used that siding product that is called T-111 or something like that. It comes in two versions, raw and painted. I used the primed version. It's tongue and groove on the edges so it fits well. Like you, I wanted to hang a bunch of stuff and it works great for that. If you hang something really heavy, you can go thru the siding and catch a stud.

If you use screws to throw it up, you can get back under it to make later changes. Just paint the heads and they'll pretty much dissapear.

And here's another tip for using any kind of wall covering boards. My ceiling is nine feet so I made two, six inch OSB pieces to use at both the top and bottom of the wall. It makes for a better finished ceiling and baseboard. And you can open up that wall without messing up the ceiling or baseboards.

Welcome abaourd and good luck!
JC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
Falcon67

I used 1/4 OSB on mine, unfinished. Cheap, solid and takes small nails just about anywhere to hold minor stuff. I you were going to put up thin shelving for holding fairly light items, I'd go thicker.

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #6
grcthird

You could hang a layer of drywall over a layer of plywood. More money but nice results and the ability to hang whatever where ever with out finding a stud, except for really heavy stuff.
grcthird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Keep in mind that if the garage is attached to your house, most building codes will require a wall covering with a certain fire rating, like sheet rock, and will not allow plywood or OSB on the walls that are common to the house. Because of this, some guys put plywood/OSB over the sheet rock.
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
OccupantRJ

I used 1/2" BC plywood in my shop, and I have absolutely no regrets. I ran it vertically, screwed some in place, and nailed some in place, then did a real quick once-over with an electric dual action sander to knock off the fuzz. I primed with Kilz 2, then top coated with 2 coats of acrylic latex paint. This pic is of my welding corner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg weld corner1.jpg (126.4 KB, 475 views)
File Type: jpg Cabinets 001.jpg (122.9 KB, 347 views)

It's always easier to find a reason NOT to do something.....
OccupantRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
CUSTOMMANCAVES.COM

I'm using corrugated metal panels. Easy to hang, easy to cut, easy to remove if modifications are necessary and it holds the insulation in place:

CUSTOMMANCAVES.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
BirdRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo_13 View Post
How thick of MDF did you use? 1/4?
I think it is 1/2". If not, it is 7/16".
Old 07-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #11
Gary S

I used 1/2" OSB. I like it better than anything I've had in previous garages.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #12
moopa

7/16" OSB, it was cheap, and I want to be able to peel off a sheet or two to get at wiring, etc. Doesn't look too bad....a little rough,maybe.Soaks up the paint real good!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2034.jpg (134.0 KB, 310 views)
Old 07-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #13
sledzz

I used 1/2 BC plywood and like it a lot. My last shop I put up drywall and hesitated the entire 6 years I had it to hang things because things would fall down or leave giant holes from wall anchors. I can nail anything anywhere and it leaves a little hole if I move it.
I split my shop into heated/not heated and used OSB on the cold side and left it bare. I suppose if I painted it it would look better... also pounding nails into it is tough but I can mount things anywhere on it also.
sledzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #14
mesquiteforge

My garage is a wreck right now-so no pics....however, I too used corrugated galvalume roofing for my walls. I have drywall from the ceiling down to the 5 foot level and everything 5 feet and down is covered in corrugated metal. I used self tapping screws to secure the sheets to the wall studs. I used clear silicone to seal the bottom and am topping off the top of the metal with 1x2's.
I weld and grind a lot, so I was concerned about sparks and hot metal hitting a combustible wall. The metal walls make it easy to clean. With the base siliconed-just hose and squeegee out the floor.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:00 AM   #15
Bull
Super Moderator

Another vote for 7/16 OSB, picked up for $4.50 per sheet at Lowe's from the "damaged" pile in front of the store. Nailed vertically to 3" wide furring strips spaced 12" on center. Primed with some old oil-based primer I found, then caulked and smoothed the joints, finished with one coat of Valspar high gloss white paint. Looks great on the cheap, and is strong.

EUDAIMONIA
"It Pays to Stay in the USA!"
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #16
kbs2244

IMHO
The bottom 4 feet should be at least 3/8 plywood.
Strong enough to resist bumps and such and a smooth side that takes paint well.
Nail it up.
Paint it semi gloss white.

The top 4 feet should be white peg board with holes.
I use drywall screws with a washer behind the head to hold it up.
That makes it easy to take off if it is ever needed.

I like to put the electric at that 4 foot seam.
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #17
mikesplumbing

How about 6" T&G pine box car siding?

or OSB with thw white plastic sheets they use in milking parlors or restaurants?

Mike
mikesplumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #18
Chevy-SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupantRJ View Post
I used 1/2" BC plywood in my shop, and I have absolutely no regrets. I ran it vertically, screwed some in place, and nailed some in place, then did a real quick once-over with an electric dual action sander to knock off the fuzz. I primed with Kilz 2, then top coated with 2 coats of acrylic latex paint. This pic is of my welding corner.

WOW! Those walls look awesome. I am having same dilemma as OP. I want to be able to easily re-configure garage space, and finished sheetrock just doesn't work. But your plywood walls sure will!

Thanks
Chevy-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #19
kybob

While I'm not no ways near this part of the build yet, I will eventually get there. I hope. Anyway, I am wanting a car wash bay in my pole barn in one corner or along one way. So what would the cheapest/best way to cover the bottom 4 feet of that wall & still have a nice waterproof finish/look to it. Like most of you all, from what I've seen on here, white seams to be the fav. wall color in a garage. Maybe Gray next. To far down the road for me to worry with right now. Thanks ahead for any info.
kybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #20
DPelletier

Pay attention to Jack's comment about fire ratings. If that's not an issue, then I'd use plywood, or a combination of plywood/slatwall over drywall. Not a big fan of OSB.

Currently my detached shop has one wall with 4' of 1/2 plywood on the bottom with the upper 8' being drywall and the whole thing is covered in slat wall. My attached garage is all drywall with the bottom 4' having painted plywood over top.
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote