Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
Boyd

Default Sealing Gaps Around/Above Garage Doors

I remember seeing a thread several months back about using nylon brush weatherstripping (see attached pic) to seal around the interior of a garage door but can't find it using the search function. Can anyone link me to that thread, or am I imagining things?

Also, the search didn't reveal much in what I want to do...seal up the miscellaneous gaps around the garage door in preparation for a through the wall a/c unit. If anyone has any ideas or examples to share, I would appreciate it very much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brush strip.jpg (8.2 KB, 1167 views)
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
jklingel

Default Re: Sealing Gaps Around/Above Garage Doors

Gaps: Great Stuff outta work. They have a few kinds, depending on gap size. GL. j
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
lilredex

Around here, the weatherstripping is mounted on the outside. Have had very good results with this: Vinyl board and vinyl web. Note that the track is mounted "wedge" shaped in relation to the wall, that way the door and web actually only contact each other when the door approaches the almost closed position. Saves wear and tear on the weatherstripping.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki
lilredex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Boyd

lilredx - I have that type of weatherstripping on the outside of my doors, but there are still small gaps around the edges and top. The nylon bristle strips will eliminate those gaps and effectively seal the garage doors against any air leakage.

I remember someone on here installing them or rigging up something similar, I just can't find it.

Here is a link to the place I am going to order from...I'm awaiting an estimate for a double garage door and a single garage door.

http://www.memtechbrush.com/brush-se...head-doors.htm
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #5
lilredex

When the wind she blows, and no snow gets behind the door, you know you have a good seal, and no additional weather stripping is needed. That angled track makes all the difference, as it throws the door down against the weatherstripping tightly during the last foot of travel and makes a firm connection on all sides and top.

Tracks that are mounted parallel to the wall allow the door to bump around in the wind, and leak when the door is closed. And, additional weather stripping is usually needed to attempt to seal them up.

That is really the point I was trying to make with those pictures.

If anyone is renewing their floor, think about sinking a 1 1/4 - 1 1/2" pipe across where the door meets the floor, about three quarters submerged. It gives the door a level section to seat on. Never see this in newer construction, 'cause it takes extra effort to install. Had one on an older garage and it really does help to keep the snow and other stuff at bay.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
babzog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredex View Post
That angled track makes all the difference, as it throws the door down against the weatherstripping tightly during the last foot of travel and makes a firm connection on all sides and top.

Tracks that are mounted parallel to the wall allow the door to bump around in the wind, and leak when the door is closed. And, additional weather stripping is usually needed to attempt to seal them up.
I gather then, when using the angled track, that the rollers are set at an increasing distance from the door?
babzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
lilredex

Quote:
Originally Posted by babzog View Post
I gather then, when using the angled track, that the rollers are set at an increasing distance from the door?
Correct........most new installations will be done that way. Mine is about four years old.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #8
Gary S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredex View Post
Around here, the weatherstripping is mounted on the outside.
Same here. I used the cheap vinyl garage door weatherstrip that Menards and Lowes carry. It keeps out all snow even with my north facing garage doors.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_66657-81-038...rstrip$y=0$x=0
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
lilredex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
Same here. I used the cheap vinyl garage door weatherstrip that Menards and Lowes carry. It keeps out all snow even with my north facing garage doors.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_66657-81-038...rstrip$y=0$x=0
Thanks for that link........Lowes in Canada appear not to carry that item, but it is on my list for next time across the border.........too good to pass up! Thanks.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #10
smooth72

I have the brush version on mine. I had the vinyl before and the brush works allot better because it adjust to shape of the garage tighter. I got mine from
http://www.genuinehotrod.com/default.asp

smooth72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:51 PM   #11
CrashTestDummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth72 View Post
I have the brush version on mine. I had the vinyl before and the brush works allot better because it adjust to shape of the garage tighter. I got mine from
http://www.genuinehotrod.com/default.asp

What's it called, and what 'catagory' is it under? The home page doesn't make anything obvious. How much did it cost? Thanks.

Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
CrashTestDummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #12
Charles (in GA)

http://www.sealeze.com/

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #13
smooth72

I finally found it on ebay. For some reason not showing in their catalog. I have found it for 3 times the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Genui...#ht_3128wt_893
Old 07-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #14
Bullitt21

For anybody that's using the rubber seals and dead set on using them, a good way to extend there life is to keep them protected from UV rays and cracking with 303 Aerospace(It is an SPF 40 product that I use on the the rubber and vinyl in my clients cars because it's not greasy and gives a matte look like the car rolled off the assemble line. Since your not using it on cars Armor All would suffice to keep the seals in good shape for the life of the garage door. I also noticed if I was blowing the concrete, debris found it's way into the garage, so a threshold was the key to create a tight seal.

http://www.showroommobiledetailing.com

http://picasaweb.google.com/houstondetailauthority
Bullitt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #15
jklingel

Good idea. 303 is great stuff; used in the boating industry, like on hypalon tubes for RHIBs, etc, too. I've used it for many years on mine.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #16
CrashTestDummy

Quote:
I finally found it on ebay. For some reason not showing in their catalog. I have found it for 3 times the price.

Thanks. The _day_ I posted the above query, my Hotrod Hardware catalog arrived, and I found the product listed in the catalog! Thanks again, though. I have wanted to find a solution to help keep the buggies out of my shop.

Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
CrashTestDummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #17
Car54

This stuff is really like $5 a foot? I need 56' linear feet of 2" metal x 3" brush. Anyone know any more places to look? I've already emailed Memtech.
Car54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:46 AM   #18
fiveoh

Quote:

Sorry to bring up an old thread. I'm trying to seal the gaps in my garage door and this thread came up in a search.

How does this stuff attach to the door? Does it have some kind of backing or glue or screw on or what?

My door already has a rubber seal at the bottom but I need something for the top/sides and corners at the bottom.

Last edited by fiveoh; 08-31-2010 at 11:54 AM.
fiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 03:37 PM   #19
smooth72

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveoh View Post
Sorry to bring up an old thread. I'm trying to seal the gaps in my garage door and this thread came up in a search.

How does this stuff attach to the door? Does it have some kind of backing or glue or screw on or what?

My door already has a rubber seal at the bottom but I need something for the top/sides and corners at the bottom.
It does not attach to the door, but the door frame with screws. Installs fast. Make sure it has contact with the door all the way around.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:46 PM   #20
fiveoh

That actually might be overkill for what I need. My door is pretty well sealed on the outside I just have a few spots that leak a lot of air(see attached pics), mainly at the bottom corners and a gap at the side. Any suggestions for how to fill these in?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0139.jpg (166.0 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0140.jpg (161.3 KB, 157 views)
fiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote