Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
ForceFed70

Default Attic Truss - 4/12 pitch with 32' span. Worth it?

By my calculations I would only end up with about 5' of headroom at the peak. Don't really want to go to a higher pitch as I'm trying to match the house. Although the roof lines would be 90* from each other so might not be very noticeable?

With having to put in a staircase (takes up room on main floor), and the extra cost and hassle of insulating, etc I'm wondering if it's worth it to use attic trusses? What do you think?
ForceFed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:42 PM   #2
PurdueSD

Default Re: Attic Truss - 4/12 pitch with 32' span. Worth it?

Definitely worth it! My house is a 4/12 and my shop is a 6.5/12. My shop sits in front of my house. Ive got a 12 foot wide room upstairs with 6.5 feet of head room. (30 foot wide shop)

It's hands down one of the best parts of my shop! The room the stairs take up is nothing compared to the stuff that is crammed upstairs would take up downstairs!

Last edited by PurdueSD; 07-24-2010 at 09:44 PM.
PurdueSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-24-2010, 09:45 PM   #3

You could go 4.5/12 or 5/12 and no one would ever know. JMO
1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
ddawg16

I would go 5:12....most people would not notice....

As for stairs....I put in a spiral staircase...saved a ton of floor space....basically, it only takes up a 5'x5' space.

"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

In Progress...2-Story Addition link
2-Story Garage Complete My Garage Build Link
Home for.....
84 CJ7 - With a 'few' modifications.. My Jeep Build Link
And my wife's art Studio...
and 3 kids with more energy than we have...
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:54 AM   #5
Daniel Dudley

Talk to a truss manufacturer. Trusses can have a wall like extension on the bottom, which is often used to get more insulation under the edge of the roof. You could get your height and keep your pitch.
Daniel Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
JC23

I pondered that same thing when I built my 28X32. Cost was a factor as it would have taken twice the money to use attic trusses. Storage was another factor as the area in question would be used for light and seasonal storage, not another room. As my trusses would be 28 feet wide, I measured out just how much room I'd have for storage amongst the big W pattern of the trusses. It turned out to be eight feet as my pitch was 8/12. So I thought if eight feet by 32 feet wasn't enuf for light storage, I had too much shit to put up there. 'Sides, those regular W trusses aren't really made for adding too much weight to. I reinforced the trusses across that eight foot span and also tied them together joice to joice. Putting OSB up for a ceiling helped strengthen everything, too. So far, no probs but it's not like I'm storing old Hemis up there.

Again, your mileage may vary. I posted this not to hijack but to give one more solution for readers. It seems like you may have more factors such as the pitch to deal with.
JC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
Black Moon

Confirm with the truss manuf. but you will only have 4'-6" clear height. If you want it for light storage the cost extra is about $10 a truss compared to conventional. Attic trusses are much more. I just ordered a set for my friends shop and asked those same questions. His were 32' end to end and they made him a 10' wide storage area in the center. They said as long as we weren't storing engines up there they would work fine. Put a good screwed floor down for strength.
Black Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
Teach

ABSOLUTELY worth it. Our house is 5/12...we did the garage ("carriage house") 6/12 and no one else would notice.

Like someone else said, even though the stairs will take up space (we did 1/3 of the stairs up along the side wall, then a 3'x3' platform, a 90 degree twist, and then the remaining 2/3 up along the back wall), it is nothing compared to all of the space you will gain upstairs. Use a good, thick screwed tongue and groove flooring up there. You'll be glad you went for it.
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:16 PM   #9
Kev442

Snow load regulations forced me above 4/12 to 6/12 on my 32' span. That's a lot of handy space up there.
Kev442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #10
ForceFed70

Thanks Guys. Definately sounds worth it if I go up to a 5/12 pitch.
ForceFed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:42 PM   #11
hansen1

It is well worth the extra expense. In the overall project, it is a minor increase and the advantages are great.

I have a 36' span and wanted extra load bearing to hold engines, etc so I had to increase my pitch to about 5.65 and go with 19.2" spacing between trusses to get the snow load, etc. all factored in. The house is 5:12 and you would never notice the difference.

My trusses are 2x10 for the bottom chord and the top chord. I then put 2x4's flat on top of the trusses and then 3/4" tongue and groove on top of the 2x4's. While I lost an extra 1.5", the floor is unbelievably solid. I glue and screwed everything. I am 6'2" and I have plenty of room to walk around.
hansen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:26 PM   #12
srmofo

my trusses are 24' with a 5/12. I went with a "spread web" design for the additional storage space because my house only has 1 closet. I ended up with a 12' wide by 36' long area. The height in the center is 5' and the height on the sides is 3.5'ish. I dont think there was any difference in price, but that was for a 24'x36' building. The truss design will come with a design sheet that has all the live load specs. Mine have a 2x6 bottom chord and everything else is 2x4. Look for spread web design and Im sure you'll find them much cheaper than trusses designed for an additional room.

Its nice being able to get seasonal crap and seldom used stuff out of the way. I also think everything feels much sturdier/solid once the attic floor was installed
srmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:13 AM   #13
PurdueSD

Here's a pic during construction, you should see it now!

Old 07-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #14
GarageEnvy

I'd be interested in knowing what your truss designer has to say about this one. I just did a 4/12 span of 34' and the original plan was to go scissor but it wouldn't work. Truss designer said even with flat ceiling it was pushing it. There is a lot of webbing in my trusses and it is built for the load of drywall but no snow load.
GarageEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #15
arbee

I used attic trusses for my 10/12 pitch. Pictures in the link below. I'm really happy with the room upstairs.