Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
DanC

Default need parts for atlas drill press...

anyone have a source for parts for an OLD atlas no. 73 drill press?? thanks-
DanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
CraigFL

Default Re: need parts for atlas drill press...

What are you looking for? Most drill presses can use pretty much standard parts for the wearable items-- bearings, chuck,pulleys,motor, etc...
CraigFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-05-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
DanC

the spring (that returns the quil to the up position) and the piece that covers it, gonna measure the bearings and check some supply places...
DanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
CraigFL

You'll probably find a replacement spring at a good hardware store. Bearings are standard-- Measure the outside diameter, inside diameter and width. Either they're metric or inch. Check here for std sizes: http://www.mcmaster.com/

Once you determine the type, you can buy it anywhere. The only other choices will be sealed or unsealed-- one side or both sides...
CraigFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:03 PM   #5
Uncle Buck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanC
anyone have a source for parts for an OLD atlas no. 73 drill press?? thanks-

Have you checked with www.clausing-industrial.com they have any remaining Atlas parts, if any are available. Also you might go to the Home Shop Machinist website, they are hosted by Village Press who publishes the bi-monthly publication by the same name, vendors in the back of the publication commonly advertise parts for old Atlas equipment, you can find their mag at bookstores like Barnes and Noble in the magazine section. Additionally check the Chaski message board site and the Practical Machinist web site. There are also several Yahoo groups dedicated to Atlas machines that have a very strong following, lots of stuff bought, sold and traded amoungst them. That should give you a few places to start. PS. also check www.OWWM.com, that is Old Woodworking machines . com, there is a for sale trade etc section there as well! Good luck, and PM me if you decide the drill is more project than you are up to, I have been looking for an old Atlas drill to join the rest of my Atlas machine family, my lathe,mill, metal shapers, hack saw, and horizontal band saw.
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
tussagbay

Hello
First I need to identify the model of Atlas Drill Press I have. It has the Atlas brand tag on the front but I don't find any model number. It is a small, bench top unit with 4 speeds.

I need a drive pulley. The one that goes on the spindle and has the notches in it that index with the spindle shaft. Thank you.
tussagbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
tussagbay

Hello;
Please forgive me for making my post on that of Dan C. I'm brand new to this forum and have not found a place to click to make a new post. I'm very sorry. I will keep looking.
tussagbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:01 AM   #8
RAYJAY

here is a pdf of your drill press

www.owwm.com/files/PDF/Atlas/1945-73DP1.pdf
Thank You Snap On, I now know how it feels to be toilet paper
Quote:
People complain that "Craftsman warranty depends on who you talk to at the store"....

"SNAP-ON warranty depends on your dealer - at 10x the cost."
RAYJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #9
RJM

missing the exact same parts on my atlas drill press. Figured i could get the spring steel at a hardware store, but the cap that keeps it in place im not so sure of. Did anyone ever find a working replacement for that part.
RJM is offline   Reply With Quote