Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2007, 10:02 PM   #1
dreamingmuscle

Default Making a bedroom out a garage?

First off the garage used to be a carport. It's a 40 year old house.

The problem that is troubling me at this time is that the floor near the outside wall stays damp especially after it rains. No puddling or anything just damp concrete. I'm pretty sure there is no vapor barrier under the pad.

The pad is 15 inches below the house floor and I'm going to raise it to match the rest of the house.

Question is how do I keep the vapors from getting into the new floor and molding? Or warping the plywood.

Plastic is a given but how do I seal the edges?
________
Ridgeline

Last edited by dreamingmuscle; 02-08-2011 at 05:12 PM.
dreamingmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:58 PM   #2
z28toz06

Default Re: Making a bedroom out a garage?

this is the garage junkies forum, you want us to tell you how to make a bedroom out of a garage! That's Blaspheme!. Now ask us how to make a garage out of a bedroom, that's a different story!

I dont think plastic is your answr, It will break down eventually. You need to seal it with drylock or something.
z28toz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-05-2007, 11:41 PM   #3
Bib Overalls

From your post, it sounds like your house has floor joists and decking over a crawl space or basement (not a slab). To do the conversion right you need to remove the garage/carport slab and put in footings and a stem wall foundation and frame the floor to match the existing construction. If your new crawl space is properly vented you should not have moisture problems.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ratpoison/

When I am dead and gone a new owner will walk into my 99% completed dream shop and say "this place has potential."
Bib Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:22 AM   #4
dreamingmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28toz06
this is the garage junkies forum, you want us to tell you how to make a bedroom out of a garage! That's Blaspheme!. Now ask us how to make a garage out of a bedroom, that's a different story!

I dont think plastic is your answr, It will break down eventually. You need to seal it with drylock or something.

Ahhhh A new garage is the next project.
________
Motorrad

Last edited by dreamingmuscle; 02-08-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:29 AM   #5
dreamingmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bib Overalls
From your post, it sounds like your house has floor joists and decking over a crawl space or basement (not a slab). To do the conversion right you need to remove the garage/carport slab and put in footings and a stem wall foundation and frame the floor to match the existing construction. If your new crawl space is properly vented you should not have moisture problems.

You are right about the house having a crawl space.

The owner says that the the slab has a footing. He poured a slab next to it and when he dug down he did notice the footing on the old slab.

The new slab is about 4" below the old slab so I don't believe the water is coming from there.
________
Formula BMW

Last edited by dreamingmuscle; 02-08-2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:32 AM   #6
PAToyota

Send a message via AIM to PAToyota

I'd try to figure out why it is staying damp. Is it below grade? Possible drainage issue? Downspout or gutter leaking?

The moisture is coming in from the outside, so if you stop the condition you'll solve the problem.

You don't need to go to the trouble of removing the slab if the garage does have perimeter foundations and all. Just a matter of framing in the floor joists. Take off any interior finishes (drywall, whatever) and put a ledger board around the perimeter. May need a beam of some sort down the center depending on spans. And make sure that the new crawlspace is ventilated.
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote