Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #1
kythri

Default NAPA Evercraft

What's the general opinion on this stuff?

I've got a handful of Evercraft stuff in my box, as my dad was the manager of the local NAPA store for 17 years.

Most of it's made in Taiwan, but it's lifetime warranty stuff, and nothing of mine has ever broken.

Not really looking to get rid of it, or get any more of it (unless I find more deals like the other day - 3/8" drive Evercraft flex-head high-polish ratchet for $2 at the local hawk-shop), but just kind of curious what everyone's opinion of it was.

I notice that NAPA, CarQuest, and the other parts stores all seem to have their own line of stuff, but it's all usually Asian-made...
kythri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
TNToy

Default Re: NAPA Evercraft

I'd put it about equivalent to Husky stuff. I'd rather use a Napa wrench than a raised-panel craftsman or a harbor freight... and it's better than duralast by a wide margin as well. Good stuff if you're not using it for a living.

The older, USA-made NAPA stuff was the staple of the tech who didn't want to plunk down the money for Snap-on/Mac/etc for quite a long time... just like SK is now.
TNToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-06-2007, 06:28 PM   #3
chevy302dz

NAPA still sells a US made line of hand tools, but they are priced reduciously high for what they are.
chevy302dz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:43 PM   #4
kythri

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy302dz
NAPA still sells a US made line of hand tools, but they are priced reduciously high for what they are.
Yeah, the NAPA Professional line, or some such.

Dad tells me they're made by Danaher, so, eh - might as well buy Craftsman, for the price.

TNToy: What don't you like about the Craftsman raised-panel stuffs? I think the majority of my ratchets (1/4", 3/8" and 1/2") are raised-panel Craftsman jobs, and I've had zero issue with them.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:52 PM   #5
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

I have several Evercraft pieces... some flex sockets and such. They are some of the better quality Asian-made stuff. I don't go out of my way for it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran View Post
Why bother? Natural selection will take care of them. If it doesn't, a 12-gauge can take care of the unnatural selection...
eschoendorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:12 PM   #6
l_bilyk

Similar stuff is sold in canada under the ultra-pro badge. Ultra-pro used to be rebadged KD stuff (mostly) sold at UAP store. Then when napa moved in and took over, the ultra-pro line stayed. Now it's a mix of US-made KD, Lisle, and offshore stuff.

Some of the stuff is OK... I have a few specialty tools (some of them even stamped KD) and the imported screwdrivers. I really like the screwdrivers to be honest. The handles are plastic as I prefer, and the tips seem to be holding up very well.
l_bilyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:37 PM   #7
kythri

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschoendorff
I have several Evercraft pieces... some flex sockets and such. They are some of the better quality Asian-made stuff. I don't go out of my way for it, though.
Oh, I agree - I won't be going out of my way for it, but if I find more deals like this $2 ratchet at a pawn shop, I'll snag it in a heartbeat.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:39 AM   #8
Coach James

I was in a spot a couple years ago and had to buy a 3 inch wobble extension at NAPA(3/8). $17 for a three inch extension!!!!! It is real nice, but that's just nuts.

Coach

Last edited by Coach James; 01-10-2007 at 10:13 AM.
Coach James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:53 PM   #9
kythri

The one thing you have to keep in mind at NAPA is never pay list/sticker price.

About the only people that pay this price are walk-ins that aren't a regular shopper there.

NAPA has several different pricing levels that they can use, depending on who you are.

Obviously, those regular customers with higher volumes (business accounts, etc.) get a better deal than Joe Average, but, you CAN haggle (somewhat).

Most stores also give the employees of their bigger customers the same discount they give the customer, so that's one way to score the discount, if you know of one of those businesses.

Another is to just flat tell them that you'd like a better price on something - if they refuse, you can always give the business to Schuck's, or K-Necht's, or some such other place.

NAPA could pick up so much more business if they'd try to be semi-competitive with the Schuck's, the AutoZones, etc. but apparently that's not their target market.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:10 PM   #10
Junkman

The local NAPA dealer changed over to Carquest about a year ago. NAPA immediately opened another dealer in town. I figured that I would give the new guy a chance, so I asked for a price on some brake rotors. Unfortunately, he must have wanted to make back his investment quickly. His price on the rotors was $65. When I asked if they were from China, he said yes, but they were a better grade. I went to the Carquest dealer, and his price was $45. Then I decided to try another local place, and the price was $22.50. I went for the cheaper rotors, and have not had one bit of problem. I think that today, the auto parts places are just trying to keep the regular auto shops going, and give the guy off the street the highest price that they can, so hopefully you will bring it into a local shop and they will still get the sale. I haven't been back to NAPA since then. I figure that they will fold in a year or two unless they wake up and smell the coffee.
Junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:11 PM   #11
Uncle Buck
Banned

I am sure to take a beatin for this, but I have never been much of a NAPA fan. I got crap service at several of them 20 odd years back and vowed never to return unless they were the only option in town. I am sure most give stellar service but I am to Damned impatient to find the good one, the way I figured it is there is always someone down the street or across town who will give me good service at a fair price!
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:20 PM   #12
kartracer55

Napa is alot more expensive than Auto Zone and such but when you go into a napa you can be sure your getting quality products. Gates Hoses and such. None of this how-cheap-can-we-make-it parts from alot of bigger stores.

Jim

http://www.frappr.com/garagejunkies
kartracer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:54 PM   #13
GearHead_1

I live in a small town that has two slightly larger towns on either side of it. These towns each have Auto Zone stores, Checker Auto stores and NAPA stores. I literally live 3 miles from a NAPA store on either side of me. The prices and service vary greatly from one to the other, it's pretty amazing. The same is true of the Checker stores.

I've gotten a price on a bearing and it wasn't in stock at one of these NAPA's though they were able to check the neighboring town's inventory. I then go to the next store and the price of the wheel bearing is $8 more, literally $8 in one NAPA and $16 at the next.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:40 PM   #14
kythri

GearHead_1: Are these corporate stores, stores belonging to the same franchise, or different franchises?

If the stores are corporate, or part of the same franchise, there's absolutely no excuse for the pricing discrepancy.

If they're different franchises, however, there's going to be an issue.

I know how the pricing issues are, though. Where I live, and in a town 20 miles away, the NAPA stores are one franchise (say, Franchise A). In a town ten miles away, there's another NAPA store (Franchise B). 20 miles past that, is another (corporate). 20 miles past that, another (back to Franchise B).

They're hodge-podged all over the place, and while one may cut you a deal, there's no guarantee the others won't bend you over.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:51 PM   #15
GearHead_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kythri
GearHead_1: Are these corporate stores, stores belonging to the same franchise, or different franchises?

If the stores are corporate, or part of the same franchise, there's absolutely no excuse for the pricing discrepancy.

If they're different franchises, however, there's going to be an issue.

I know how the pricing issues are, though. Where I live, and in a town 20 miles away, the NAPA stores are one franchise (say, Franchise A). In a town ten miles away, there's another NAPA store (Franchise B). 20 miles past that, is another (corporate). 20 miles past that, another (back to Franchise B).

They're hodge-podged all over the place, and while one may cut you a deal, there's no guarantee the others won't bend you over.
I know that while both have big blue and yellow NAPA signs all over them they aren't owned by the same individual. They also told me straight out that they didn't have to honor the other stores price.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:58 PM   #16
ImportTuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHead_1
I know that while both have big blue and yellow NAPA signs all over them they aren't owned by the same individual. They also told me straight out that they didn't have to honor the other stores price.
Same experience I had; the Napa store I normally go to was out of stock on a part, so I drove to the one in the next town and the item was $11.00 more.. No price matching
ImportTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:09 PM   #17
Jbullfrog

Napa still waranties their New Britain tools that haven't been sold for 30 years. NB was what became the Napa tools. The part numbers are the same on alot of things.
Jbullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:17 PM   #18
Junkman

NAPA stores have multiple pricing on there items. They can give you the deal if they want to, but many times the guys behind the counter just don't care to. They are stupid and will watch you walk rather than sell it for the lower price. It is unfortunate that the people behind the counter don't have the intelligence to make a sale, where there is still profit, but just not as much as they might like to have. A small profit is still better than no profit.
Junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:25 AM   #19
kythri

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHead_1
In the future, see if you can get the store that doesn't have the part in stock to get the part for you.

A lot of times, inter-franchise, or corporate-to-franchise stores will sell the other store the part at cost, and then your store can sell it to you at the quoted price.

It's a hassle, but it might help out.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:29 AM   #20
kythri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman
NAPA stores have multiple pricing on there items. They can give you the deal if they want to, but many times the guys behind the counter just don't care to. They are stupid and will watch you walk rather than sell it for the lower price. It is unfortunate that the people behind the counter don't have the intelligence to make a sale, where there is still profit, but just not as much as they might like to have. A small profit is still better than no profit.
Unfortunately, it's a screwed system all the way around.

The pricing flexibility is nice, as it allows the stores to cut deals for high-volume customers.

Unfortunately, that same system is in effect with the franchise stores. If Franchise A owns 9 stores in an area, they can leverage their purchasing and get a better deal from the NAPA DC than Franchise B and it's measly 2 stores can.

Add in that the franchise stores now have to compete with a corporate store a town over, who undoubtedly gets it's merchandise for far cheaper than any non-corporate store.

There's no great solution to the system.