Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
BJinaTJ

Default Metal Siding on garage ceiling?

I have a normal everyday 24 x 24 garage that I would like to throw a ceiling in. I have a bunch or galvanized steel left over from a pole barn and wondered if this is something I might be able to put up there?

My concerns are vapor barrier as I live in Indiana and it can go from very hot to chilly at night and there are always the four seasons to contend with. My plans are to heat and cool the garage and I am very concerned with the possibility of vapor / humidity on tools or in the attic causing mold..

Has anyone put steel in a garage ceiling?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

-Ronnie
BJinaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
TheShrine

Default Re: Metal Siding on garage ceiling?

My metal ceiling is the floor to the room above so there is no vapor barrier.

I used metal other places as well. See http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...tbox&showall=1

TheShrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
Busted_Knuckles

Hi Ronnie, welcome to GJ, Im just one state over from you, same latitude, Ive got 8 out buildings in various configurations of construction methods, and what Ive learned about tin, and vapor barriers,.... obviously tin will not allow vapor through, but its so poor fitting, that you get great air circulation through and around it, to the point, its pointless to worry about it, go hang your tin. Upside to tin on th lid, if you have a fire, the ceiling wont quickly ignite and spread you're fire, like if you used OSB and painted it. They also make light gauge corrugated tins specifically for ceilings, in the event you run out of the galvanized. Take care, Bill
Busted_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
BJinaTJ

If I were to by chance aircondition the garage would I have to worry about condensation in the attic since that would be the warm side?

Thanks again!
BJinaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #5
mpeche923

Hey guys I don't mean to hijack this thread... But Busted Knuckels I have a question for you... I am also looking to do a ceiling this way.... Do you have any links to web sites that carry the corrugated tin for ceilings... I am also interested in possibly doing it in white so i don't have to paint.... do they make it in like a thin PVC...

thanks
Mike
mpeche923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #6
Gary S

If you have a lot of temperature change outside, metal ceilings are your enemy. They will sweat and you get your own personal rain showers inside the building.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
Busted_Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJinaTJ View Post
If I were to by chance aircondition the garage would I have to worry about condensation in the attic since that would be the warm side?

Thanks again!
If you condition the space, that's where you are going to run into problems, depends on the season, humidity, temperature, and if you insulate, how much, and attic ventilation, lots of variables, and yes, I would plan on condensation with tin if you condition the space, that would be the short answer, you can use tin, you'd need a vapor barrier and allot of insulation on top of it. Ive never installed a tin ceiling, so Id be "talking out of school" to tell you exactly what and how much, and vapor barriers, and insulation are like asking "who makes the best car" lots of opinions.

Maybe someone here on GJ who has done a tin lid will chime in. I'm adding a lid to my shop in the next year, and plan on using tin, so I too could stand to learn some details. Ive been stocking up on polyisocyanurate (very hight R-Value product) rigid insulation panels, but I know I'm going to need bats and a vapor barrier as well. My shop is air conditioned and heated as well.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
Busted_Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeche923 View Post
Hey guys I don't mean to hijack this thread... But Busted Knuckels I have a question for you... I am also looking to do a ceiling this way.... Do you have any links to web sites that carry the corrugated tin for ceilings... I am also interested in possibly doing it in white so i don't have to paint.... do they make it in like a thin PVC...

thanks
Mike
Hi Mike, the only place Ive come across it is Menards, not sure how far east they run with their stores, I know they are relatively local to me. Ive not looked for them anywhere else. Ive bought tin to build a couple buildings from Mendards and they take "custom" orders as far as color and panel length. Ive never seen a PVC product, and in a shop, if your working on gas powered anything, I dont think youd want PVC over your head, if you had a fire in the shop.

You can also find 1/2 "ceiling" sheet rock at most builders supplies, IIRC, you can hang it on 24" centers, and its not supposed to sag, Menards also sells it.

Happy Hunting, Bill

Last edited by Busted_Knuckles; 08-03-2010 at 10:35 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #9
RoadBeater

I put metal siding on the ceiling in my barn. It actually made it better as far as drying out barn. The floor doesn't sweat like it used to. I did put R13 with a vapor barrier on top of it. Now if I can just save up to do the walls......

This is with no heating or cooling.
RoadBeater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:11 PM   #10
imavanner2

thire is a white plastic for cielings. ag tuff http://www.hfmfgcorp.com/pages/products.htm
http://www.bbmofokc.com/access.htm
http://www.northbrookfarms.com/catal...?prodid=524575
imavanner2 is offline   Reply With Quote