Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
kmacht

Default Where to buy 24" wide insulation

I recently just had a 2 story garage with a gembrel roof on it installed on my property. Due to the roof covering about 90% of the wall and ceiling space on the garage and the shingles being black, it gets pretty toasty up there during the day. I am thinking about putting up some insulation. I went to Lowes the other day to see what they had. The cheapest insulation they had was R13 and it was $9 for 40 square feet. That works out to about 22 cents a square foot. The problem is that it is only 15" wide. The rafters in my ceiling are 24". They only had R19 bats in 24" wide and they wanted $70 for 133 square feet. That works out to more than double the cost at 53 cents a square foot. Seeing how I have almost 900 square feet of ceiling to cover, that cost difference adds up. It would cost me almost $500 just in insulation never mind the sheetrock or panel I would need to buy to hold it up in place. So, is there somewhere else I can look to buy insulation from besides the big box stores? Can you get it online cheaper somewhere? I don't think I can put the panel up first and then blow it in because the top portion of the roof doesn't have much pitch to it. Any suggestions?

Keith
kmacht is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
dankicksass

Default Re: Where to buy 24" wide insulation

If you're in Jersey, Jaeger carries it.
dankicksass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
dlewis

Got mine at home depot.
dlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
Falcon67

Nope - you're screwed. 99% of construction is 16" OC, so your 24" OC is not with current techniques. Mine is the same way and when I expand the shop, I'll use 16" OC. 24" batts are all I can find and yes, they go for a premium. Cost me a bunch of $$$ to insulate the walls in our older house as it was built using the " 24" OC more or less " building technique. I've been all over this area (your area may be different) and there is almost zero 24" insulation available. $70 a bundle is what I recall paying last time I bought. You might try other, older local lumber companies - they may be able to order in bulk for you and save you some $. If you nickel and dime it like I did, you'll pay retail. If you have a McCoys in the area, they seem to be able to do things that Lowes and HD won't do and many times do it cheaper.

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
kmacht

I'm up in CT so a trip down to jersey with a trailer will probably kill any savings I might see.

Do you remember what R rating and the cost of the stuff you got at Home Depot was? Did you have to special order it or did they have it in stock?

Keith
Old 08-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
BirdRacer

If that is precut bundles, you will come out much cheaper with rolls, and cut it yourself.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
kmacht

I went to HD during lunch. The only 24" wide stuff they had was the R19 and it was $60 for 118sf. It was in the pre-cut batts which sucks since my ceiling cavities are 7' long and the batts are 93". I am going to have 9" of cutoff for each batt. I can't find it in rolls anywhere. Everything is 15" wide.

Keith
Old 08-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
rwhite692

When I did my shop ceiling, which is scissor truss construction on 24" centers, I used 24" wide, R30, Certainteed brand Kraft-faced batts, which are 4 foot long. Easy for me to handle as I was working alone.

It was (is) Available at my local Home Depot (did not require a special order).

They are Certainteed #910155

88 square feet per bundle (11 batts per bundle).

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16310

Last edited by rwhite692; 08-04-2010 at 12:26 PM.
rwhite692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
burleymike

Try you local insulation contractor they might be willing to sell you some for a decent price. Also ask lowes or HD if they will order it for you. I bought R13 24" batts a few years ago and the price was slightly higher I cannot remember exactly.
burleymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
Gary S

Look around a little. Just because Lowes doesn't have, just means that they don't care enough to offer it.
Any decent building supplier should have it.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #11
z28toz06

owens corning makes it. as a matter of fact i think many truss systems are 24" on center. I have 24 oc trusses. i am thinking of spray foam insulation for the ceiling/roof.

http://insulation.owenscorning.com/h...nsulation.aspx
z28toz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #12
Falcon67

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdRacer View Post
If that is precut bundles, you will come out much cheaper with rolls, and cut it yourself.
Around here, 24" is only available in the precut. It was available at HD and Lowes in the roll when I built the garage in 1997.

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:00 AM   #13
YEAHLOH95

i just did this to my garage this weekend i went with the r19 24 inch wide from lowes and a local supplier ,all i can say is what a differnence it made ,i have 12 ft ceilings and it was so hot in there ,i had to leave doors open to even be in there.
YEAHLOH95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #14
Sarki

Insulated the roof of my pole barn this past weekend with 23" x 93" batts of R19. I purchased a total of 14 packages (5 batts per package) as well as 128 pieces of 24" Popper Vent. My garage is 26'W X 32'D and the roof is 8/12 pitch. Total cost for materials was right at $600. I try to stay away from the big box stores when possible and give the local guys my biz.......I'm in lower Hudson Valley and went with Williams Lumber.
Sarki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #15
HoosierBuddy

+1 on the insulation contractor.

When I did my garage addition, the local insullation contractor's INSTALLED price was lower than what I could buy the insulation for at Lowes. Don't ask me how. Don't ask me why. But I jumped on that quote with both feet and didn't get an itch one out of the job.

Phil
HoosierBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:24 AM   #16
DuluthMN

What about buying the loose insulation and renting a blower to put it in. That is what I'm going to do. It is by far the cheapest rouse also.
It started out simple enough. I would start one project and upon completion I would start another. But somewhere, somehow something went terribly wrong. I have lots of projects in the garage started, but none near completion. Damn You DIY Network!
DuluthMN is offline   Reply With Quote