Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
lucas moore

Default Best Floor Jack for the money

Hey Guys! Looking for some advice. I'm looking to buy a floor jack to use on my midsize pickup for routine maintenance and wheel rotation. I plan on only really using it about 5 times a year. So, what's the best jack out there for the money. Also what are some good jack stands you guys use.

Thanks for the advice.
lucas moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Skin

Default Re: Best Floor Jack for the money

harbor freight, most of the models priced below 500 are chinese anyway and look the same so unless you're looking to spend serious bucks, HF. Just make sure the height is enough.
Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
dankicksass

I use Craftsman Professional jackstands and Chinese aluminum jacks. I'm not proud of it but I'll share, HF jacks are adequate.
dankicksass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
fordbroncodave

i will recommend the napa 3.5 ton jack. though i do work at carquest, we don't sell a wide variety of jacks but we do offer what we have at a good price. no complaints either

my needs list:

http://garagejournal.com/forum/showt...fordbroncodave
fordbroncodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
t100

Costco Arcan 3.5ton, there's a whole thread about.
t100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
regguy1

This one is very nice and reasonable, plenty of info and photos in this thread:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=36136

Costco Arcan 3.5 Ton, I have my photos on page 5 of thread

Last edited by regguy1; 08-09-2010 at 07:33 PM.
regguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #7
Hiball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin View Post
harbor freight, most of the models priced below 500 are chinese anyway and look the same so unless you're looking to spend serious bucks, HF. Just make sure the height is enough.
OH my.. Im not even gonna bring my 20 years experience in Hydraulic jacks into this thread as its been mucked up already with false information. To the OP if you do a search on Floor jacks you will find Numerous threads identical to your question.

Steven

BRC 6/9/22 - 3/5/12 My Best Friend and the Greatest Man i ever Knew RIP...
Hiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
leftyz

I bought this one to work on my car, and using it on the blazer is miserable, I do not recommend it. The only good thing about it is that it's quite light and easy to carry around.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3000-lb...ack-91039.html

So for you, I'd stay away from that one, get at least a 3 ton.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
trailwart

best jack for what money?? 50$ worth or 1500$ worth?

this is the 1 i have and use the heck out of it on my trucks. found many great reviews of it online. paid about 50$ for it on sale. if it fails it wont bother me as it has paid for itself many times over.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ack-94629.html

Last edited by trailwart; 08-09-2010 at 08:09 PM.
trailwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
Skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiball View Post
OH my.. Im not even gonna bring my 20 years experience in Hydraulic jacks into this thread as its been mucked up already with false information. To the OP if you do a search on Floor jacks you will find Numerous threads identical to your question.

Steven
Really dont see any false information, unless you shop used what most people consider affordable are indeed made in china. No point in spending 2-3x as much for a POS when you can get the same POS at HF for less.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #11
Scout Driver

Either a 3 or 3 1/2 ton Torin Big Red from Northern Tool.

Scott
Old 08-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #12
Hiball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skin View Post
Really dont see any false information, unless you shop used what most people consider affordable are indeed made in china. No point in spending 2-3x as much for a POS when you can get the same POS at HF for less.
You should re-read your post, You stated that you cant find a Us made jack for less than $500. The OP asked for the "Best Floor Jack for the Money" Untill he decides how much he wants to spend for his jack this thread is mute. There are numerous threads here concerning Costco, Hf etc... Does he feel a Costco Jack every 3-5 years is worth $100 bucks or does he think a HW93642 (Manufactured here in the States) that costs $260 and will last 20 years and then can be rebuild for $50 for another 20 years is a better value? I dont condone any of the Newer Import jacks but based on my recent findings, over the last 5 years is that they dont like to be rebuilt and with Cheaped out seals its a matter of time and its not on your side. I will agree with you that you should stay away from the Higher Priced Imports because HF does carry alot of the same identical jacks with a much lower price tag. I would like to Add you can get into a milwaukee 2 ton for under $500 also.

Last edited by Hiball; 08-09-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:42 PM   #13
copterdoctor

I just re-read his post... I didn't see him say ALL jacks under 500 are made in china... nor did he say you can't get a USA made jack for less than 500....

fwiw, I went to a local store,AIH,(alaska industrial hardware), and got a made in USA jack, for $145,for the 2 ton... the 3 ton was 199.....
Old 08-09-2010, 08:47 PM   #14
Hiball

Quote:
Originally Posted by copterdoctor View Post
I just re-read his post... I didn't see him say ALL jacks under 500 are made in china... nor did he say you can't get a USA made jack for less than 500....

fwiw, I went to a local store,AIH,(alaska industrial hardware), and got a made in USA jack, for $145,for the 2 ton... the 3 ton was 199.....
Ok.. Lets get mathimatical here. There are 3.. Countem 3 USA Made Floor jacks still Manufactured Here in the states. HW, Milwaukee and Weaver. Thats it, 2 of the 3 are under $500 so if you want to get technical He said "Most" so he was still Wrong. Correct?

Old 08-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #15
copterdoctor

Don't go and get your panties in a bunch now.... it's just a floor jack thread...
but fwiw, my jack said, keyword said, it was made in the USA... and is not any of the brands you just mentioned... I'll have to go see what brand it is when I get home... it's yellow and black if that helps...
Old 08-09-2010, 09:12 PM   #16
Hiball

Quote:
Originally Posted by copterdoctor View Post
Don't go and get your panties in a bunch now.... it's just a floor jack thread...
but fwiw, my jack said, keyword said, it was made in the USA... and is not any of the brands you just mentioned... I'll have to go see what brand it is when I get home... it's yellow and black if that helps...
I know of No American Made jack that is Yellow and Black, especially NEW.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #17
Hiball

Is this it?

http://store.aihalaska.com/index.php...ucts_id=379903

I found this on there website and its the required colors and labeled "Wilmar" and is clearly a Import. If it is marked Made in the USA i would be asking some questions.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:26 PM   #18
bouldermsm

"...for the money...." is the important part there.....

for "my money" I just bought 2 Milwaukee service 20's, $ 414 each OTD, FOB dockside Milwaukee into my trunk.

I returned my third Professional Craftsman for a full refund, the last one was $ 313.00.

Dave
bouldermsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:37 PM   #19
Hiball

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldermsm View Post
"...for the money...." is the important part there.....

for "my money" I just bought 2 Milwaukee service 20's, $ 414 each OTD, FOB dockside Milwaukee into my trunk.

I returned my third Professional Craftsman for a full refund, the last one was $ 313.00.

Dave
Good Choice!!!

Old 08-09-2010, 10:14 PM   #20
GeorgiaHybrid

Several important items to note that the OP asked about. He is using this jack "about 5 times a year" which would make you think a cheap import jack will work just fine. The opposite is true however in most cases. The import jacks seem to hold up better if used often.

The "best jack out there for the money" is a relative question. For an import jack, $100 to $150 will get a nice jack. For less that $300, he can get a rebuildable 2 ton USA made jack. He will need to decide which one he wants to buy based upon the comments above.

Good jackstands can be had from Hein Werner also although most people have found the HF stands seem to hold up OK. If you do go the HF route, I would go for overkill and get the 6 ton models. By the way, the Hein Werner stands (USA built) can be had for well under $100 a set.

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 08-10-2010 at 10:52 AM.
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:10 AM   #21
Skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiball View Post
Ok.. Lets get mathimatical here. There are 3.. Countem 3 USA Made Floor jacks still Manufactured Here in the states. HW, Milwaukee and Weaver. Thats it, 2 of the 3 are under $500 so if you want to get technical He said "Most" so he was still Wrong. Correct?
out of the vast assortment of jacks i think 3 is a drop in the bucket. Run out to your local big box stores and chances are they're china, i was simply making the argument that shopping at such places means spending a $100 more than you have to.

by the way i think you meant this thread is moot without a price range, and i agree. Likewise if he wants a jack that he can physically lift without herniating a disc.

Last edited by Skin; 08-10-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:38 PM   #22
lucas moore

Thanks for the info. I didn't mean to start any controversy here. Basically, I don't mind to spend 150 bucks on a jack. I don't want to spend 500 bucks because I am not going to use it that often to justify the money (in my mind anyway). I am new to this forum and have learned a lot already. I am going to try to build my skill-set by doing the basic car maintenance (oil change, rotate tires, brake job, ATF change, radiator stuff, etc). I have looked at places like HF and Northern Tool as well as the autozones type stores. Is the torin/big red brand jack a good one to start out with for these needs? also, is it better to just get 4 jack stands instead of just 2? Thanks for all the info thus far
lucas moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #23
GeorgiaHybrid

If your are looking for opinions, I would buy the Hein Werner jack and get (4) 6 ton jack stands from Harbor freight. You will be out less than $400 overall, they will last long enough to be passed down to your kids (if you have any) and will keep you nice and safe if used correctly.

The jack can be rebuilt if needed instead of being replaced and most of your purchase will be American made. YMMV
GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote