Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
Tom2

Default Best vehicle for postal delivery?

Should be getting a job soon as a rural carrier. Just passed the initial driving test, and only a couple steps left before I should start. The process has been MONTHS. Incredibly slow and inefficient in ways that you can't even imagine.

But anyways, the job I should be hired for I get to use a postal vehicle, luckily. However, it's only 1 day a week. But, if you're willing to deliver mail in your own vehicle you can work many more routes for different offices and work closer to a full-time schedule if you're up to it.

My car is getting pretty rusty.. I really wouldn't want to deliver mail in it. I don't think it would last long at all with that kind of demand. Plus, it's fairly low to the ground..Reaching and driving from the passenger side will not be ideal with it.

I know you can go into Jeep and buy a right steering mounted Jeep - but obviously that's a ton of money for a job that at best will be a few days a week. If it were full-time, I'd probably strongly consider it.

I'm thinking of maybe just picking up a beater 4WD (we get a ton of snow) Blazer or Exploder to deliver mail with. Any suggestions for a vehicle that would be up to the demands?
Tom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
SnailMechanic

Send a message via AIM to SnailMechanic
Default Re: Best vehicle for postal delivery?

I used to live so far out in Vegas that we had a rural carrier. She used to use a Ford explorer. I know she fabricated a quick release for the hatch to work the large mailboxes stands, so it could stay open, but not so much and mail would fly out. Also she removed the front seat and made a stand to hold the boxes of organized mail. We pretty basic and functional. Also had a dog cage wall separating the front from the back.
SnailMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
Stuart in MN

A friend of mine has been a rural delivery mailman for 20 years or more, I believe he's always used Honda Civics.
Stuart in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
CarCrafter

We get a ton of snow here and my carrier uses a regular Honda Element. How they manage to drive from the passenger is truly beyond me. Anyways, she likes the extra space inside the Element. I personally find these things ugly, but to each his own.

Our previous carrier had a right hand drive Subaru Legacy AWD. That would be pretty handy in the snow I would think.

Trouble is.
Half of the people think it is a wonderful place to live,
while the other half think it is a wonderful place to pillage.
CarCrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
grcthird

I see alot of Cherokees used for mail delivery, and a used anything right hand drive is going to be cheap. Watch those saturn sw wagons, the transmissions go out in them often due to all the stop and go use.
grcthird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
hydramatic

don`t buy a postal jeep...the honda civic is a good choice if you put brake pads on every 2 months..if you have a 4 to 6 hr route...change the oil every 2 months..that`s only 6 times a year..do it yourself
hydramatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
spongerich

What about a Jetta TDI? You would save a ton of money on gas compared to a Blazer, etc. I have a somewhat overpowered GTI and with the traction control (and of course, 4 good snow tires) it goes great in the snow... better than my wife's Subaru on all-seasons.

See my eBay listings here.
spongerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
A_Pmech
Super Moderator

My rural carrier has been doing it about 15 years and she has had at least two Chevy Blazers, one Ford Ranger and her current vehicle, a Chevy Colorado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stanley Hooker
One stroke to produce power and three strokes to wear it out.
A_Pmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #9

Bell HueyII
1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #10
some zilch

i second a jeep cherokee
Old 08-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #11
CUSTOMMANCAVES.COM

CUSTOMMANCAVES.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #12
adam728

Seems for mail delievery I've seen more Cherokee's, Subaru wagons, and S10 Blazers than anything else. The first two I've seen in right hand drive, not sure the Blazers were as available here with that.
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #13
Charles (in GA)

One local rural carrier has a RH drive Kia Sportage. Another uses an Explorer (seems like a lot of gas), another uses a S10 pickup. Those old mail jeeps came with two or three different engines and different transmissions at various times. One with a Chevy 4 cyl (the short version of the 6 cyl) and a powerglide would be a good combo. You can keep rebuilding them forever, not much to go wrong with them.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #14
wafrederick

Chrysler Minivans are another choice.One lady that delivers mail in my area uses a Chrysler minivan to deliver mail.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #15
Finley

back home mail carrier were huge fans of K cars. small, easy on gas, easy to reach pedals, and since they are bench seat, slide from one side to the other with ease.
Finley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:13 PM   #16
Torque1st

Right hand drive vehicles in the US are few and far between. Many people use a setup like the one in the WTF picture thread with a belt or chain to use a steering wheel on the right side. Usually it is a good idea to retain a wheel and controls on the left side. A brake on the right side could be difficult to set up. I have seen a foot operated E-brake used without the ratchet setup from the right side but braking power is very poor. I have seen aftermarket master cylinders in some of the racing parts catalogs. The throttle is usually a cable so a second throttle is easy.
Yes, I am insensitive and yes, not politically correct, and yes, Im sure I offended someone,... -Busted_Knuckles (Me too, plus I am old, tired, and grumpy!)
Read "The Marching Morons" Here
"Works" <> Safe, Good, or Right
"You can't fix stupid." -Ron White
Torque1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:27 PM   #17
CUSTOMMANCAVES.COM

There are currently 15 RHD vehicles for sale on E-Bay:

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Tru...=p4506.c0.m282
CUSTOMMANCAVES.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:55 PM   #18
tatra

here in canada alot of rhd japanes kei trucks are showing up..........rhd, some doesel, 4wd, etc.........maybe an option?.........
tatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:10 AM   #19
IndyGarage

Lady I used to know would find a high mileage, pretty new Jeep Cherokee or similar. I think later she started using minivans.

She always had a right hand drive kit put in them. It included a funky cable driven steering wheel, a gas pedal and a brake.

I think front wheel drive or all wheel drive is a necessity in the snow belt, however front wheel drive is also a pain because you will also hit things with the front end - curbs, culverts, chuckholes, you name it.

I do know she was a heavy, full time carrier and would keep a car a few years - almost constant maintenance and repairs though.
IndyGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:05 AM   #20
sanddrag

Most any "Postal Jeep" (DJ5) you find these days is going to be a complete wreck, if you want something reliable to use in poor weather. Also, probably not your best bet for the snow, since the heat will probably be less than adequate, 2wd open diff, carbureted, and no insulation from the cold really. But, I still think they're really cool vehicles, that could be made into something really neat if you had the time and money to put into it. That doesn't sound like your case though.

Your best bet would probably be a RHD Cherokee 4x4 or Wrangler. Just keep an eye on eBay.
sanddrag is offline   Reply With Quote