Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
Teken

Default Living on $100 a month for food

Would like to get some feed back from the GJ community as to how to live off of $100.00 a month for food. Any idea's as to how to accomplish this task would be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure that a average person could given todays cost for food etc. If its possible to feed 3 people on this meager sum, please give me the items you could purchase to attain this level of cost(s).

Granted each region and city will have different prices etc for food items etc. So, just give me a rough idea what you can buy for $100.00 for food stuffs.

For the sake of saying this would only include essential food items so no junk food is available in this $100.00 budget.

Insight . . .

Quote:
GRX: Judging from past experiences my guess would be Racoons. They can easily jump onto the lid if the can is too heavy to knock over. Either that or Man-Bear-Pig.
Teken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
scbird94

Default Re: Living on $100 a month for food

Tuna sandwiches for lunch, ramen noodle casserole for supper.

Google ramen recipes you can actually make that stuff pretty good with a little creativity
scbird94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-15-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
jay50
Banned

dayum, i spend that much on beer and jd a month.....
jay50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
tatra

lentils...........was boarding off a woman for a short time in edmonton and she asked if would be willing to try lentils on a daily basis for a month...........some of the best food i ever had as she was a great and creative cook ..............
tatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
fourfeathers

Eggs. Meat as flavor, not entree. Planning ahead. Coupons. Rebates. Low waste. Luck?
fourfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
s_ontario

Can of coffee fine ground for mornings water is free right
peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunches
macaroni and cheese for dinner macaroni and tuna salad next day then repeat
maybe could afford a steak each sunday for dinner home cooked

I spend more than that on cigarettes in a week
s_ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:20 PM   #7
walrus

Beans, Brown Rice would be on the top of the list. Whole wheat flour, yeast, oil for bread. Peanut Butter.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
nate379
Banned

I don't spend much more than that for food but that is just me. I don't think you can feed 3 people on $100 a month unless you just ate rice and Ramen.

Today I had a pizza that I cooked for supper last night. Pizza was $4 and made 2 meals.

Subway 12" sub. $6 and is good for 2 meals.

I don't buy much red meat. Hamburg is $5/lb, steak even more. Chicken, sometimes pork if it's on sale.

Couple times a month maybe a treat of going out at Taco Bell or McDonald's.

Will make a meal out of rice and gravy sometimes. Throw in some chicken and it's even better.

Tuna Helper... tuna is $0.50/can, the mix is $2. Makes 2 meals.

Plus I rarely eat 3 meals a day. I have a meal around 6-7PM, then another around 2-3AM and sometimes a snack around 8AM.

Last edited by nate379; 08-15-2010 at 06:26 PM.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:25 PM   #9
Nealcrenshaw

You want to feed three people on $100 a month? Adults? Kids?
Thats only a $0.33 per person per meal per day. you can try to "feed" them but they wont be nourished properly.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #10
PhilR1957

Maccaroni and Cheese. Store Brand Item's. When I buy meat I always look at the prices. I had to learn How to Grocery Shop. The first couple of times I went to the grocery store, I would get a Buggy and go up and down every Aisle and grab whatever I thought I needed. It never failed that when I got home I had forgotten several items. I then started going with a list. I only bought what was on the list, but my ultimate goal was to get out as quickly as possible. That didn't work out for me because I was spending to much money. I realized I was "Grocery Grabbing", not "Grocery Shopping". Now my systen is as I run out of things, I put them on a list. Once a week I go to the grocery store, and take my time. My ultimate goal is to get out of the store with everything I need for the least amount of money as possible. I also don't buy certain item's in the grocery store. Laundry Detergent for example. The Brand and Size I buy is $1.50 cheaper at Walmart. I have since morfed to the point of having 2 lists. One for the Grocery Store, and One for Walmart. I am to lazy to get a Part Time Job, so my Part Time Job is Saving Money. Anytime I get a Bill I always look at it, and say is there any way I can save some money. Example of this is Cable/Satalite TV. I have the Basic Service, but I get the free Showtime Package. How did I get a Free Showtime Package? I asked. "What can you do for me"? I have been a loyal customer for "X" Amount of years, they gave me a free Showtime Package for Two Months. What do I do after Two Months? I call and ask the question again. Next time it might not be Showtime, Some times it's HBO. The point is if you spend a little time, the oppertunities a limitless. Car insurance, Cell Phone, whatever. Good Luck, Anything you set your mind to, You Can Do. Good Luck.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #11
ephotrod

Bean rice and tortillas very cheap and good for you. If you buy the corn tortillas theres the 100 pack for 2.00.
Josh
ephotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:43 PM   #12
Cameronl

What PhilR1957 said.

Plan your meals for the week around the weekly fliers.
Coupons and store club card for the best prices.

Skip the processed and pre-packaged stuff. That'll cost you. You want to save, cook from scratch. Don't buy jarred tomato sauce, it's so easy to make with canned tomatoes, and a lot cheaper. Even cheaper (but more time consuming) if you grow your own tomatoes or a neighbor gives you some.

A crockpot works wonders on cheap cuts of meat.

Don't go nuts running from store to store to save $.05 on an item, you'll spend more on gas. Just pick a couple of places that will save you overall.

I'm not impressed with the bulk store prices (Sams Club, Costco). I usually do just as good with coupons and sales at the grocery store.
Cameronl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #13
nate379
Banned

I go to Costco once every 2-3 months to pick up a few bags of dog food and maybe a few odds and ends. Sometimes it might be cheaper, but who needs a 5lb can of tuna or 5 gallons of mayo?
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:50 PM   #14
Walterchang

I started to barter peaches from my two peach trees for other fruits and vegetables. Not sure if you have access to a garden, but growing your own fruits and vegetables would help with the food budget greatly. I got lemons, avacados, tomatoes, squash from just asking my neighbors if they would like to trade.

Buy almost everything generic at walmart. Or go and check the clearance racks at the back of grocery stores. Also shop late at night as they are closing the various departments. Certain food has to be thrown away if not sold that day, offer to buy at a discount most stores will some won't.

Or get a part time job at a restaurant and snag the left overs.

Or if you are close to a costco go on sample days and eat there.

The trick is to get creative, and not picky.
Walterchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #15
justinmc

Send a message via AIM to justinmc

$100 a month honestly isn't going to get you very far. If you honestly only have $100 a month for a food allowance I'd look into things like Food Stamps, Food Pantry's, etc There are churches, etc in most areas that also offer anonymous assistance to folks who can't afford to eat.

Also if at all possible do whatever you can to trim the rest of your budget. Carpool, no cable tv, turn the a/c up 2-3 degrees, turn the heat down 2-3 degrees, Cold showers (saves hot water, etc), reduce your internet to dialup or free AOL whatever the most basic plan is. Move your phone plan into something thats pretty much free mobile to mobile, unlimited texts, etc, etc.

Stop buying tools?
justinmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #16
Walterchang

I just thought of another way to save money. If you have a gun go hunting a bullet is fairly cheap, you could possibly feed your family for a month off a big deer?

Also find out where the nearest bakery outlet is, they sell that stuff super cheap.
Walterchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #17
djd99

Man I don't think it's possible to feed 3 people on 100 but definitely 200 with some creative shopping. Sunday papers are great for coupons and weekly sales so keep a good eye out for those. Walmart has many things cheaper everyday on certain items than any store I've found even when there on sale. Tuna, rice Grow your own vegetables, even indoors is a possibility. Good luck and keep those eyes open for stellar sales. Also If you have a aldi store around they have really cheap food that's not that bad.

Last edited by djd99; 08-15-2010 at 07:00 PM.
djd99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #18
TONE

My small family (wife, myself and two year old son) spend well over a thousand. So, I'd be curious to see how this is possible. For us, its not even a possibility

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=42080
TONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #19
ddawg16

With kids? Can't be done....

For starters....we spend at least $40-50/month just on milk...

The only way would be if you had a garden that you could use for a majority of vegies...

"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

In Progress...2-Story Addition link
2-Story Garage Complete My Garage Build Link
Home for.....
84 CJ7 - With a 'few' modifications.. My Jeep Build Link
And my wife's art Studio...
and 3 kids with more energy than we have...
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #20
Finley

good luck! i do the grocery shopping as of 2 weeks ago, since the wife spends roughly 200 a week for us and our 2 children. i knowed it down to around 110-120 a week.
Finley is offline   Reply With Quote