Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
WHT

Default FORD FS-10 A/C Clutch Field Coil

Does anyone know how to remove the clutch field coil on a Ford FS-10 A/C compressor while still installed on the engine?

Do you really need the removal T89P-19623-FH and T89P-19623-EH/T91L-19623-CH installer tools (I'll never use them again)?

EDIT: The truck is a 2002 Ford Ranger (4.0 SOHC V6)

Thanks for any help.

FORD FS-10 10-CYLINDER
CLUTCH ASSEMBLY

Clutch Field coil removal:

Using Clutch Holder (T94P-19703-AH) to hold compressor shaft from turning, remove clutch plate bolt. Discard bolt.

Thread an 8-mm bolt into clutch plate, and remove clutch plate and shims. Remove pulley outside snap ring. Remove pulley assembly. Note location of clutch coil electrical connector.

Disconnect clutch coil lead. Install Field Coil Remover (T89P-19623-FH) on nose opening of compressor. Using a 2-jaw puller, remove clutch field coil from compressor. DO NOT use air-powered tools when removing clutch coil.

Clutch Field Coil Installation:

Ensure clutch coil mounting surface is clean. Install clutch coil. Ensure electrical connection is correctly positioned. Position Coil Replacer (T91L-19623-CH) onto coil and Coil Pressing Adapter (T89P-19623-EH) onto coil replacer.

Install 2-jaw puller (D80L-1002-L) on compressor and coil replacer. Engage puller jaws with compressor front mounts. Carefully tighten puller until clutch coil bottoms completely against compressor. DO NOT use air-powered tools when installing clutch coil.

Compressor

Compressor Clutch

Compressor Clutch and Pulley Removed (field coil showing)

Clutch Field Coil (mine is NOT removed )

Last edited by WHT; 08-22-2010 at 08:56 PM.
WHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Charles (in GA)

Default Re: FORD FS-10 A/C Clutch Field Coil

You don't need the holding tool to keep it from turning, just engage the clutch (if it works) and the engine will keep the compressor from turning while you remove the bolt and use the puller bolt to extract the clutch plate. The coil removal tool sounds like something that catches in a recess or groove that enables the two jaw puller to get a grip on it and pull the coil off. Its pressed on apparently.

Cannot help you beyond that.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
WHT

Thanks Charles, I have the clutch and pulley removed and want to replace the coil also. I'd buy the tools, but will never use them again. Being too anal retentive for my own good, I would like to replace the coil while replacing the pulley and clutch (although the old coil still works).
Old 08-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
caper

Send a message via MSN to caper

I just used to tap the old one off with a hammer and tap the new one on carefully.They don't have much of a lip to go over.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #5
Mike83

O'Riley Auto Parts rents out for free (you just pay deposit) the kit that has all the removal and installation tools you need for AC clutch work. IMO you need to use these tools to make the job easy and most likely possible without damage to the parts. Autozone does not have a complete selection of AC clutch tools so I would skip that place.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:53 AM   #6
WHT

Thanks caper and Mike83. I'll see if O'Reilly has the Ford tools.