Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
platinum overcast

Default Garage build - Modern, Shed Roof, Rain Screen Siding

It's time for everybody's favorite; the build thread. First of all I want to thank the community here in the GJ forums. I've lurked for a while now and have picked up a ton of inspiration. Hopefully I can give a little back and pick up some more advice along the way.

The basics:
Shed roof, standing seam steel - 2/12 pitch.
Roughly 20x20 - with a bit extra.
Rain screen style siding - Minerit fiber cement panels siding for most of it. Ipe on the yard side.
Partial clear story. Using the standard Polygal, 10mm thickness, clear.
16x8 Raynor Centura door.
Liftmaster 3800 opener.

I'll probably add more as decisions are made.

We're having a contractor do part of the build (concrete, framing, electrical) and doing the rest ourselves (roof, siding, OHD, interior). It's a tough to figure out where to make the split between having it done and doing it ourselves. This seemed like a reasonable plan to save a little on the cost, get the visible details just how we want them, and learn in the process.

First a couple pictures of the old garage. It's a single car 12x20. We think it was built in the early 50s, house is 1929. At some point they cut some studs at the back wall to fit a 70's land yacht. It sat about 7-8' off the alley property line so we were able to add space for two car without eating up much of the yard. We decided to take a little extra as you'll see further on.

From the upstairs window. We've transplanted the small garden at the edge of the patio, hence the mud pit. It's not the best view, but makes for a nice consistent reference as the build progresses.

From the alley.

Last edited by platinum overcast; 09-13-2010 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Updated details.
platinum overcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
platinum overcast

Default The house.

A couple of the house itself from last fall. I had to get a picture of the freshly mown lawn.

The previous owners put in the crazy dormers. Four on one side, three down the other. It's over the top on the outside, but makes the interior really interesting.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-22-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
platinum overcast

Default Gone.

Gone.

Long exposure, yellow dog.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
Boyd Who

Default Re: Garage build - Modern, Shed Roof, Rain Screen Siding

That is a gorgeous house!!
I'll be watching the thread for updates on the new garage.
20 x 22 new build!
'27 Essex pickup
Boyd Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
platinum overcast

Default Masonry

On to the masonry. It's a monolithic slab, 4 inches thick. 4000 psi, rebar at 36" OC. One course of block. Hand troweled in the garage, broom finish on the driveway. Driveway is 4 inches also. Saw cut expansion joints. Pretty happy with how it turned out so far, but time will tell. We had great weather for the pour and the following days. I tried to keep it well watered to the point of ridicule from friends and neighbors.

Formwork from the yard:

Formwork from the driveway:

Formwork from the upstairs window again:

Poured:

From the window:
Old 08-23-2010, 05:53 AM   #6
Colin-Roberts

is this your first garage on this property? im sorry its hard to tell what lot is what.
Colin-Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:08 AM   #7
ChristopherLutz

You have a beautiful home - oozing with character, thanks for the pics.

I'm a fan of the laser like line in the yards you have between houses: "mine has no leaves on the lawn - yours = leaf city"

It's very cool you'll be able to add the space for the 2 car - what an upgrade for you personally and I'm sure it will add equity should you ever sell.

Where are you located (roughly - not specific)- area is gorgeous.
ChristopherLutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
platinum overcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Who View Post
That is a gorgeous house!!
I'll be watching the thread for updates on the new garage.
Thanks Al. Nice job on your build, and the truck is pretty neat too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin-Roberts View Post
is this your first garage on this property? im sorry its hard to tell what lot is what.
Yeah, it'll be our one and only garage. It's butted up as close to the property line as code allows - 12 inches to the adjacent lot, and 12 inches to the alley right of way. In the alley that's more like 18 inches off the concrete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherLutz View Post
You have a beautiful home - oozing with character, thanks for the pics.

I'm a fan of the laser like line in the yards you have between houses: "mine has no leaves on the lawn - yours = leaf city"

It's very cool you'll be able to add the space for the 2 car - what an upgrade for you personally and I'm sure it will add equity should you ever sell.

Where are you located (roughly - not specific)- area is gorgeous.
Thanks for the kind words. We're in Minneapolis.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #9
platinum overcast

Default Framing - Day 1

Material was delivered on August 17th, two and half weeks after the slab was poured. We're not in much of a hurry as the fiber cement siding panels won't be available until the end of Sept at the earliest.

Framing, day one. Not much to see. Treated 2x6 sill plates fitted to the J-bolts all around. Our carpenter works alone so the pace is a little slower. We'll trade schedule for quality anytime.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:53 AM   #10
floridaguy

I like where this build thread is going.

When i first looked at this picture I thought you had four garages

It is sort of cool having what looks to be an ally way for just garage entrance, also all of the garages across the ally way seem to look similair.
floridaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
20V'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum overcast View Post
Thanks for the kind words. We're in Minneapolis.
Haha, I looked at the first pictures and thought wow this looks just like south Minneapolis.

My last house was 46th and Portland, moved outside the loop for a bigger lot a few years back, but I sure miss things like walking to Pepitos or watching the marathon. Maybe someday I'll move back to the area but try and find something on the west side of 35.
20V'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:35 PM   #12
platinum overcast

Default Framing - Day 2 and 3

Framing, Days 2 and 3.

Walls starting to come together. A little over 8 ft interior wall height in the back, sloping up to something like 11.5 feet at the OHD.

From the window.

Framing Day 3. Now we're getting somewhere.

Balloon framing on the walls. There was some discussion about potentially using studs the same height as the back and then adding wedge shaped pony walls above. Not sure why they decided to do it this way, but it does look pretty cool. The header is a double 1-3/4 x 14 LVL.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #13
UN4GTBL

thats awesome!

definitely want to see how this turns out
Old 08-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #14
BlackSheepSpeedShop

Nice, thank you for the pics and please keep posting them!!!
BlackSheepSpeedShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #15
Stuart in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20V'er View Post
Haha, I looked at the first pictures and thought wow this looks just like south Minneapolis.
I was just going to type the same thing. Kind of funny how we can recognize it from one quick glance at the alley.
Stuart in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #16
tatra

could've sworn it was my city, winnipeg...........lot's of houses look similar to yours around certain parts of round here..........
tatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #17
platinum overcast

Default Framing - Day 4

Wall sheathing started. 7/16 OSB. Thought about plywood, but the price delta was significant. Amazing how much the price of this stuff fluctuates. The back wall will be 5/8 gyp on both the interior and exterior - Firewall needed if less than a certain distance from the neighbors garage.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:26 PM   #18
floridaguy

Default Re: Framing - Day 4

platinum overcast,

Is there a reason why you went with the roof line design? What will the roof be?
floridaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:16 PM   #19
rustylocke

Dig the house fella. My wife says she loves it, as she walks by the computer. She wants to see the inside if you can. No pressure, from me, but her, that's another story. I'll be subscribing.
rustylocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:24 AM   #20
platinum overcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkyrican View Post
platinum overcast,

Is there a reason why you went with the roof line design? What will the roof be?
The roofline was more of an aesthetic decision than anything else, but brings a whole set of compromises and benefits with it. We were sure that we wanted to keep the orientation facing the South, and at the same side of our lot. We'll include a couple clearstory elements, so hopefully the rake helps with the natural light. To keep the pitch relatively low (2/12) we're driven to a standing seam steel roof, instead of asphalt shingles. The single pitch shed style hopefully makes the steel roofing easy enough for us to install ourselves. No complicated flashing, eaves, valleys, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustylocke View Post
Dig the house fella. My wife says she loves it, as she walks by the computer. She wants to see the inside if you can. No pressure, from me, but her, that's another story. I'll be subscribing.
No worries. I'll see if I can find some good ones of the interior. I have some from the previous owners sale listing, but I'd rather show it with more of our style. I'll keep digging.

Tags
awesome build!, best of 2010!, fiber cement, ipe, modern, rain screen, shed roof