Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Lighting & Electrical

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
hmbrewr

Default Run capacitor for air compressor

Hi all, I bought an older oiless craftsman air compressor on the super cheap because the guy said it would not run. Took it home and found that the run capacitor was missing.The compressor is a Sears Craftsman model # 9191650200. The motor was made by GE and has a model # 5KCR49TN2235X. It claims to be 4 HP but only draws 15 Amps so I'm guessing it is more like a 1 or 1 1/2 HP. I've tried Sears on line, looked in Grainger catalogs and searched on line, and talked to the guy at the appliance parts company all to no avail. Can somebody give me an idea what size the run capacitor for this motor should be, or least a starting point. Thanks in advance. George
hmbrewr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
BillK

Default Re: Run capacitor for air compressor

hm,

I am not sure how old yours is, but my Craftsman compressor is over 30 years old and all of the parts are still listed on the Sears web site. I just bought a pressure switch that finally decided to fail after all that time.

Enginerepairshop.com
BillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-31-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
Stuart in MN

I checked the Sears parts site and they don't list separate components for the motor, just the motor assembly. I did a google search on the GE motor number, and found several references indicating it uses a GE 97F9614 capacitor.

I then did a google search on the capacitor number and it appears to be rated at 40 microfarads, 370 volts.
Stuart in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
hmbrewr

Thanks Stuart, that is the info I was looking for. I also googled it, but could never find any info about the capacitor. Will let ya'll know if it works or,not after putting in a capacitor. Thanks again. George
hmbrewr is offline   Reply With Quote