Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Flooring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
BL50

Default Has anyone used RockSolid Floors?

This is from the current issue (September 2010) of The Family Handyman magazine:

Garage floor envy. This coating is not only drool-worthy, but also a reasonably priced and durable, DIY-friendly product that dries in a day. RockSolid Floors' polyurea multilayer garage floor coating system is similar to epoxy floor paint, but the company claims it's four times tougher. Polyurea has been used in commercial coating applications for 25 years. The kits include a polyurea primer coat, polyurea, decorative chips and a clear topcoat. Each kit covers 250 sq. ft. The partial chip version costs $299, and a full-chip ad-on kit costs an additional $249. It's available in six colors at selected Lowe's stores, lowes.com and rocksolidfloors.com

I've searched RockSolid on this forum but have come up mostly with warnings against using polyurea. I can't imagine the manufacturer would market a kit to the DIY market that is difficult or dangerous to work with ... that's why I would like to hear from someone who has actually used the product. I'd also like to know what "four times tougher" than epoxy means.

Thanks for any info you may be able to provide ... I'm still trying to decide on a product for my year-old garage floor.
BL50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
TheBanker

Default Re: Has anyone used RockSolid Floors?

" I can't imagine the manufacturer would market a kit to the DIY market that is difficult or dangerous to work with ... "

Are you sure about that? I think I would stick with the proven epoxy products myself. Have you watched their video?
Old 09-04-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
stevegupnorth

I've coated 3 garages (2 of mine and one with a friend) with Rock Solid and love it! It is an easy straightforward application process.
When we ordered kits for the most recent garage, we found that the kit had changed...for the better! The coating materials (A side and B side) now come in cool packaging they call a "burst pak". The individual chemicals are already pre-measured into each side of a soft package...with a seam in the middle separating them. all you have to do is roll up the package (like a toothpaste tube) and the center seam opens up allowing the 2 sides to mix. shake it for 2 minutes and pour it out. No cans, no measuring, no mess.
The clear topcoat over the chips mixes the same easy way.
I think Rock Solid is much better than the epoxy coatings I've used in the past. It stays glossy and easy to clean, and the product goes on thicker. I've seen no hint of tire peel or stains.
They also sell an add-on kit of extra chip and topcoat which I would like to try when I find another floor I want to tackle. Then the entire floor will be completely chipped- just like the floors the floor coatings contractors sell for lots of $$$.
stevegupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
BL50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBanker View Post
" I can't imagine the manufacturer would market a kit to the DIY market that is difficult or dangerous to work with ... "

Are you sure about that? I think I would stick with the proven epoxy products myself. Have you watched their video?
I've watched all their videos. Just looking for feedback from someone who's used their product so I can weigh options ... thanks.
BL50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
Strouty

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevegupnorth View Post
I've coated 3 garages (2 of mine and one with a friend) with Rock Solid and love it! It is an easy straightforward application process.
When we ordered kits for the most recent garage, we found that the kit had changed...for the better! The coating materials (A side and B side) now come in cool packaging they call a "burst pak". The individual chemicals are already pre-measured into each side of a soft package...with a seam in the middle separating them. all you have to do is roll up the package (like a toothpaste tube) and the center seam opens up allowing the 2 sides to mix. shake it for 2 minutes and pour it out. No cans, no measuring, no mess.
The clear topcoat over the chips mixes the same easy way.
I think Rock Solid is much better than the epoxy coatings I've used in the past. It stays glossy and easy to clean, and the product goes on thicker. I've seen no hint of tire peel or stains.
They also sell an add-on kit of extra chip and topcoat which I would like to try when I find another floor I want to tackle. Then the entire floor will be completely chipped- just like the floors the floor coatings contractors sell for lots of $$$.
How long have you worked for them?

Useless hands

Deadlines amuse me.
Strouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
JD in DFW

You will need to have all your ducks in a row and then some.... Polyurea's are very and I mean very fast pot life's to them. If the temp is up and theirs even a hint of humidity in the air you have 15-20 min to get the stuff spread out, rolled out and then getting your chips broadcast into the coating. I would never ever recommend a Polyuera to a DIY as a coating for him to put down and work with. if you don't have a process and know what you are doing you can easily go through and ruin a few hundred dollars worth of product real quick.

I wounder if Rocksolid is selling a dumbed down version to the DIY and calling it a Polyurea...have seen it done before by so called coating manufactures...one used to troll these boards quite a bit.
JD in DFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:09 AM   #7
carolyny476

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD in DFW View Post
You will need to have all your ducks in a row and then some.... Polyurea's are very and I mean very fast pot life's to them. If the temp is up and theirs even a hint of humidity in the air you have 15-20 min to get the stuff spread out, rolled out and then getting your chips broadcast into the coating. I would never ever recommend a Polyuera to a DIY as a coating for him to put down and work with. if you don't have a process and know what you are doing you can easily go through and ruin a few hundred dollars worth of product real quick.

I wounder if Rocksolid is selling a dumbed down version to the DIY and calling it a Polyurea...have seen it done before by so called coating manufactures...one used to troll these boards quite a bit.
Thanks you for the reply.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
LegacyIndustrial

I like Strouty's reply.
LegacyIndustrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
nixapatfan

My brother used it in his garage a couple of months ago. It looks and feels solid as far as I can tell, it's a nice thick coating. He did mention it started to harden up fast only had about 30 minutes to spread it out, but he did do it when it was very hot and humid out.
nixapatfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #10
swimmr

Well shoot. I realize these are old threads, but here's a DIY guy with a touch of common sense that just wants to talk to other DIYers that have already done their garage floor surfaces, epoxy/polyurea or otherwise. And instead, I find that I can't trust a thing because it's full of people accusing each other of being in the industry and promoting their product and slandering the other product or person (occasionally with bad language). After hours and days of reading I have gotten nowhere. It's a shame for 'The Garage Journal'.

You are going to kill this otherwise wonderful site and us consumers will go elsewhere and leave you to bicker alone. You ruined a good thing. Have fun and sleep well.
swimmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #11
LegacyIndustrial

Single Poster, bad language is not allowed here.
Everyone has an equal share and voice including you.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #12
GarageFlooringLLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmr View Post
Well shoot. I realize these are old threads, but here's a DIY guy with a touch of common sense that just wants to talk to other DIYers that have already done their garage floor surfaces, epoxy/polyurea or otherwise. And instead, I find that I can't trust a thing because it's full of people accusing each other of being in the industry and promoting their product and slandering the other product or person (occasionally with bad language). After hours and days of reading I have gotten nowhere. It's a shame for 'The Garage Journal'.

You are going to kill this otherwise wonderful site and us consumers will go elsewhere and leave you to bicker alone. You ruined a good thing. Have fun and sleep well.
In order for any forum to be effective, it has to have the right mix of customers and industry people. Those of us in the industry have an obligation to be truthful and to post advice for the benefit of the consumer. Are there some people on any forum who claim to be customers and they are really working for someone --sure! BUT you're going to find that anywhere. Most of us have our signatures in our posts so people know exactly who we are. Some of us will disagree sometimes and most of us have been guilty at one point or another of saying something we should not. That said, I have seen this forum over several years now give consistently good advice. Keep an open mind and look at the forum as a whole. I am sure you will be impressed.

Thank You!

Justin Krauss
President
Toll Free: 800.956.4301 Ext 203
Garage Flooring LLC
524 30 Road Suite A
Grand Junction CO 81504
Justin@garageflooringllc.com
Twitter: @garflooringllc
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/garageflooringllc

GarageFlooringLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #13
1967marti

I'm going to go with the rocksolid floor or maybe legacy for my new floor (had epoxy but it failed on me ) I don't think legacy has a colored poly product so thats why im leaning towards rocksolid. I have heard you have to be quick with the product (faster than epoy anyway) but if you do your prep-work ahead of time you should be fine... I think its a positive point towards poly that it cures so fast as you can be back in your garage with your toys faster (I don't feel like leaving all my tools and toys outside the garage for a week before I can roll them back in). Maybe the fast cure time doesn't allow it to leach into the concrete? i can't find any real negatives to rocksolid's product.
1967marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #14
Cruzin90

If RockSolid's product is 100% solids, then the pot life should be about 20 minutes or so. They may have added some solvent (90% solids, 10% solvent) to their product which will give you a longer working time.
Cruzin90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #15
thegarageguy

I doubt it's 90%...probably more like 40 to 60 % solids......unfortunately my google searches only bring up msds, no product data sheets to help confirm anything.

www.bodenkraft.com
Serving NY, NJ & CT

Follow us on:
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Bodenkraft
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/Bodenkraft
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/bodenkraft/
Instagram: http://instagram.com/bodenkraft
thegarageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #16
thegarageguy

My bad, just found it...says 90%

www.bodenkraft.com
Serving NY, NJ & CT

Follow us on:
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Bodenkraft
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/Bodenkraft
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/bodenkraft/
Instagram: http://instagram.com/bodenkraft
thegarageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #17
GarageFlooringLLC

According to the website you have about 20 minutes to work with the product and it is 90% solids. They do have a few different types of product so have a closer look at the website.

Tried to upload the install instructions, even after reducing the size it was too big for the forum. I found those here https://www.rocksolidfloors.com/prod...ions/blog.html

*** I do not sell and I am not affiliated with RockSolid Floors ***

Thank You!

Justin Krauss
President
Toll Free: 800.956.4301 Ext 203
Garage Flooring LLC
524 30 Road Suite A
Grand Junction CO 81504
Justin@garageflooringllc.com
Twitter: @garflooringllc
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/garageflooringllc

GarageFlooringLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #18
LegacyIndustrial

Our PolyAspartic is available in many colors.
It comes in steel cans too.

Link: http://legacyindustrial.net/cart/leg...ing-p-107.html
Old 04-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #19
Cruzin90

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegarageguy View Post
My bad, just found it...says 90%
I think the max solvent for polyaspartics is going to be 15% which is unlike epoxies.
Cruzin90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #20
1967marti

I remember reading on a review or forum that more than a few people were told by rocksolid to add 10% acetone to both the clear and color coats to add application time. Someone said it left their clearcoat sticky (but it could have been a bad batch too?)

I never noticed that legacy had the colored poly coatings... I'm trying to do my floor for under 300$ with a single color coat (400sq feet) so I don't think i'll be able to go for the legacy poly coating :-(

Speeking of poly-coatings can you just poar it out on the floor and roller it around till everything is coated to allow it to "fill" some of the slighty low spots or would it be a multi-application job to build up a thick coat?
1967marti is offline   Reply With Quote