Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
Carl Voss

Default Favorite material for interior garage walls

For the second issue of Great Garage Makeovers, we're about to launch into an upgrade project with a homeowner. But first, we'd like some advice.

This 2-1/2-car garage is standard stud construction. Owner wants to insulate the walls and ceiling. Currently, nothing on the interior walls--no drywall. Zip. Cozy ceiling height--just 8'2"--fairly typical

So what do you like for sheet goods on the walls? Save some $$ and just go with drywall? (Myself, I hate to tape and sand.) Drywall over paneling or plywood for more rigidity? Just plywood?

In the first issue of Great Garage Makeovers, we found a homeowner or two who liked the convenience of decorative panels (FashionWalls by DPI). There may be other great options we're not aware of.

There's a lot to cram into this garage, (5 bikes, kids play stuff, yard and garden) so I suspect some walls will have cabinets or organizers pushed against them.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Carl Voss
project editor, Great Garage Makeovers
Carl Voss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
regguy1

Default Re: Favorite material for interior garage walls

Hello Carl,

I also did a soffit storage project, thread and photos here:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=65557

Epoxy floor thread, has a couple of better photos of the walls:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=66867

I didn't want to do drywall, I insulated and used pegboard / paneling combo
26' x 30' detatched garage with 8' 6" ceiling, take a look:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0927.jpg (135.7 KB, 769 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0947 800K.jpg (139.4 KB, 949 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0962 800K.jpg (144.0 KB, 711 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0875.jpg (136.0 KB, 653 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0832 800MB.jpg (146.2 KB, 752 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0601.jpg (141.5 KB, 779 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0874.jpg (133.9 KB, 1260 views)

Last edited by regguy1; 09-02-2010 at 09:47 PM.
regguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
wouldworker

Very little choice where I live. If the garage has a common wall with any part of the house, it must me drywalled to meet code. Insurance companies get in the fray also. As I understand it, it is permissible to add plywood, OSB, pegboard etc over the drywall. The drywall is not required to be taped or mudded as I understand it.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
daveroy

in 'The Greatest Thread Ever' they used some form of fiber coated ply. I believe it was available in different thicknesses and was white shiny surface. It looked like a great wall surface product in the pictures.
daveroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
strnge

It depends on what you want to put on the walls. I would go with insulation then plywood on top. I like to hang porcelain signs on my walls, and eventually I want to hang heavier items on the walls.

Mike
strnge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:42 AM   #6
copterdoctor

you joined in August of 2008, and THIS is the first time you've ever posted?? you would think after "lurking" for 2 almost 3 years you'd have seen a bunch of suggestions.... but it all depends on what your client wants isn't it? or maybe I'm just missing something here???
Old 09-03-2010, 05:09 AM   #7
Bigpigdave

I like steel over plywood or painted plywood but they may not meet code by themselves in some areas. We used to use fiberglass panels from AgriTek in some of the farm buildings. These were pretty awesome as they shed H2O and were very easy to keep clean.
Thanks, Dave
Old 09-03-2010, 07:15 AM   #8
markviii

The glossy white wall board is called FRP or RFP. - info from the "Restored 1930's Auto Shop" thread follows: (I couldn't find the exact post, but here's some info)

The wall panels I used are OSB covered with fiberglass, don't know that it has a specific name. Available at lumber yards. You can get it 7/16" up to 3/4" in 8',9' and 10' lengths. It's smooth, bright glossy white, with great light reflectivity. Once it's installed, no other finish work is involved. Since it's backed with OSB you have material you can screw to. I used 1/2 " X 8' sheets. Hard on saw blades but it's biggest down side is cost. Over $70 per sheet with 220 sheets in the building. But once done it's durable, water proof, stain resistant, looks and works great! Kind of a front loaded cost. Expensive up front but then you're done. Easily lasts a lifetime.

Hope this helps.

Chris (markviii of the Restored 1930s Auto Shop)
markviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:04 AM   #9
michel

Dont want to derail the thread but is the Mjjax installed permanently? and do you loke it?
michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
JC23

I used the painted version of T-111. They come already primed. It allows me to hang just about anything on it due to its thickness and ability to hold even big screws. My garage has a nine foot celing so I made six inch pieces for the top and bottom and it worked just fine. The fact that it was tongue and groove made it fit great, too. Now I have the walls just about covered with stuff I've hung on them.

Using the painted version made the panels smoother to the touch and less prone to giving off those PIA slivers. The vertical lines make the walls look taller, too. One last bonus is that painting it is a bunch easier than the stuff that isn't.

Hope that helps. Really dug that mag, too. Read that baby cover to cover more than a few times.
JC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #11
28HopUp

Send a message via AIM to 28HopUp

When we moved into our home in 2005, the drywall in my garage was non-finished on two walls - just tape & mud. The exterior walls were open studs. Here's a "before" shot -

So I re-taped the ceiling and upper walls of the existing drywall. I also insulated, ran wires, vapor barrier, and drywalled the unfinished walls. That allowed me to cover the lower portion of the walls (which were banged up and poorly finished) with plastic corrugated roofing material that I bought at Lowes.

The panels come in different lengths, but I bought 12' sections and cut them in half (lowering my cost for material). They are secured with black pan-head screws, and the plastic is thin enough that I can push the pointed screws through rather than having to predrill. The plastic also cuts with a unility knife or scissors, which is much easier to work with than traditional metal roofing. It also comes in a few different colors. I picked the tan color, and then selected a complementary color pallet with that as the base. The green upper walls with off-white trim colors accents the tan nicely IMO. I painted the cherry cabinets, which were free after a buddy rebuilt his kitchen.

Last edited by 28HopUp; 09-03-2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Added a picture
28HopUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #12
shorin
Alliance Member

My house garage is covered in chipboard, and I love it. Makes it really easy to hang stuff wherever I want.... The shop garage is drywall, and it's not nearly as handy....

Danny
shorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #13
regguy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by michel View Post
Dont want to derail the thread but is the Mjjax installed permanently? and do you loke it?
The MaxJax is bolted down and could be removed for storage but I really don't have a reason to do that as it's easy to park with it in place.

It's quite nice to work under with the roller seat and my Frontier pickup can go all the way up even with my 8' 6" ceiling. A mid rise lift is a compromise, I chose it rather than making modifications to the building, plus it plugs in to standard outlet so no wiring project either, all in all I'm satisfied with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0948.jpg (143.6 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0950.jpg (137.6 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0955 800K.jpg (134.3 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0960.jpg (146.2 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0826 800K.jpg (148.6 KB, 158 views)

Last edited by regguy1; 09-03-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:56 AM   #14
imok

Quote:
Originally Posted by regguy1 View Post
The MaxJax is bolted down and could be removed for storage but I really don't have a reason to do that as it's easy to park with it in place.

It's quite nice to work under with the roller seat and my Frontier pickup can go all the way up even with my 8' 6" ceiling. A mid rise lift is a compromise, I chose it rather than making modifications to the building, plus it plugs in to standard outlet so no wiring project either, all in all I'm satisfied with it.

I don't meant to hijack the thread but that MaxJax looks like a nice alternative for a garage with low ceilings. Can you give me the model number?

Thanks,
Charles
imok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #15
regguy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by imok View Post
I don't meant to hijack the thread but that MaxJax looks like a nice alternative for a garage with low ceilings. Can you give me the model number?

Thanks,
Charles
I don't think there is a model No. just MaxJax name. Costco has them for a good price:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...ang=en-US&Sp=C

Gabe and Rudy were helpful during my purchase and installation
Here's the MaxJax Dannmar site:

http://www.maxjaxusa.com/

There's a MaxJax Installation thread here:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ghlight=maxjax

Last edited by regguy1; 09-03-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #16
20V'er

I did one wall in my basement storage room with this stuff.

http://www.shopequip.co.za/images/si...rd%20Large.jpg

I bought a bunch of cheap used hooks from a place that sells new and used retail fixtures. I actually stack lumber (lots of hooks to support the weight) on it and a bunch of outdoor items (skis, kayak gear and other misc.) Hopefully this winter I will frame out the outside two walls and insulate and cover them in the same stuff.

Stuff with metal in the grooves is more money, but is supposed to hold more weight. Stuff that is white laminate is more money but would be easier to clean. I did not get either and have been fine so far, I could see myself painting it at some point if I get bored during a long cold weekend.

Of course it is MDF so keep it away from an area that is going to get wet or even damp.
20V'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #17
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by markviii View Post
The glossy white wall board is called FRP or RFP. - info from the "Restored 1930's Auto Shop" thread follows:

"...The wall panels I used are OSB covered with fiberglass, don't know that it has a specific name. Available at lumber yards. You can get it 7/16" up to 3/4" in 8',9' and 10' lengths. It's smooth, bright glossy white, with great light reflectivity. Once it's installed, no other finish work is involved. Since it's backed with OSB you have material you can screw to. I used 1/2 " X 8' sheets. Hard on saw blades but it's biggest down side is cost. Over $70 per sheet with 220 sheets in the building.
Uh huh....riiight! That comes out to over $15,000 to cover the walls!

Even in say a 24'x24' garage covering 3 walls floor to ceiling, it would require 18-20 sheets @ $70 per = $1260-$1400 to sheath the walls.

Meanwhile, back in real life where guys of more ordinary means live, that's nutty expensive. It's drywall or tempered pegboard for me. Cheaper, clean and you can paint it when it gets dirty.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #18
R6 Racer

My thoughts...
I would insulate, vapor barrier, plywood (probably 5/8", rough on both sides...cheaper!), then drywall. All after any wiring (including electrical, computer & sound) & plumbing was done. Air lines (if you have them) should be on the outside of the walls, for maintenance & change purposes.
I like the clean, bright, smooth look of drywall & having plywood under the drywall lets you mount anything anywhere! Plus the fact that repairs of any "mounting" holes can be done easily after you decide to move something.
Because as we all know a garage is an ever evolving thing!

Good luck with the project! I'm looking forward to the next issue.

Steve

P.S. If you want another "project" for this or any other article/issues...
PICK ME! PICK ME!
Old 09-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #19
regguy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Uh huh....riiight! That comes out to over $15,000 to cover the walls!

Even in say a 24'x24' garage covering 3 walls floor to ceiling, it would require 18-20 sheets @ $70 per = $1260-$1400 to sheath the walls.

Meanwhile, back in real life where guys of more ordinary means live, that's nutty expensive. It's drywall or tempered pegboard for me. Cheaper, clean and you can paint it when it gets dirty.
I've been thinking that as an alternative to the paneling I could've used low priced laminate flooring for the upper / lower sections of the walls. I've seen white /gray colors similar to panels I used and it would install easily on the nailing strips I had to put between the studs. Low priced laminate is avaliable for maybe $1.00 / SF so that would put it at $32.00 for a 4' x8' panel as a comparison I paid about $15.00 / sheet for the paneling so it would be a bit more but would be a lot tougher and easy to clean.

Last edited by regguy1; 09-03-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #20
Falcon67

The MDF panelling I'm buying at Lowes for the house runs about .44/sq ft. It's much sturdier than wood panel for not quite $1 more per sheet. We'll paint it once it's up on the wall. It adds texture to the surface, makes for a good stiff wall when glued and gets you out of tape and bed. Downside - it hides the stud locations, add about $7 per panel for good glue and it's still a PITA to get it flat to the wall even with the best glue. You're also paying more total per sq/ft of wall - figure with sheetrock under that you are in the .88~.95 / sq ft where with rock+tape+bed you might be at .25~.30. Also, glued paneling goes up slow because of the stiction/stay flat issues. I imagine if you count tape+bed time, they end up about the same.

As noted in another thread, OSB is a great middle ground with a BIG caveat: pos = cheap, nail stuff anywhere - negs = pain to paint, not fire rated

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread

Last edited by Falcon67; 09-03-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garage makeover, walls