Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
Displaced Hokie

Default So I bought the $299 Stanley roller cab at Costco - initial review

*I posted this in the Review section, but since it looks like most of us don't go there I'm dropping here on the main tool board. Mods, delete this one or that one as you see fit*

I shared some photos of this box on the board last week when I noticed it at Costco, and this week I went ahead and brought one home. I checked Craftsman, Husky, and Kobalt before the purchase. The closest box in specs at Sears was a 10-drawer, ball bearing box for $450 w/o liners. The Husky and Kobalt were similar in price. I liked what I saw, and after doing the value equation, I jumped.

I also looked at the Harbor Freight top chest box, which is roughly the same price for just the chest. It is wider than I need, and the build quality seemed similar. I think the crinkle finish on the HF box makes the steel appear thicker than it is. Not knocking it at all though, as I know there are a lot of happy folks here with those. All I'm saying is that I think this Stanley box would be it's 26" cousin.

Anyway, here you go:

Available only from Costco for Costco members. I'm not sure if these will be a regular or limited availability item.
26"w X16"d. 58" high.
12 ball bearing drawers.
Liners included
75lb capacity per drawer
5" X 2" casters
(4) keys, all the same code
Installation of the casters and pull handle required

As purchased:

Info on box:

Obviously an item custom-spec'd by Costco, supplied by Danahar I'm guessing, made in China. I think Costco has had good luck with the larger boxes, and spec'd a 26". Looks like they will be available in the Canada, the UK, and Australia as well.

Top chest out of the box.

Double locking rods and lid lid cylinders. Gripe: The top wants to open anytime unlocked. Not a huge deal.

Shot of one of the top drawers. Some have mentioned that all of the weight of the drawers is carried by the two rivets on each side attaching the slides to drawer. This is correct, but seemed to be that way on every other box I looked at in this general price range. The $450 Craftsman was no better. The Harbor Freight box did have some tabs on the slides interlocking with holes in the drawer. Drawers are tack welded together, as also appeared to be the norm for this range of homeowner box.

In the bottom roller cabinet drawer is a box with the casters and pull handle.

Here is the bottom of the box. You can see the mounting studs for the casters.

Bottom drawer removed so you can see the insides. The back wall is ribbed for strength. The slides are riveted to the the inside wall of the box (double wall construction). The slides themselves appear to be average quality, similar to what I've purchased at Lowe's before to build drawers.

Here's the assembled box beside my trusty 14 yr old Canadian-made Husky. Not long ago I repainted the Husky, but it's had a HARD life as it used to be chained in the back of my work truck. The friction slides were dying and the box is only 12" deep.

Note the Stanley emblems, the Ball Bearing decals, and the "Secure Latch" sticker on drawer. The drawers do seem to latch securely when you push them all the way in, but the effort to open is not excessive. I've never seen another box with this exact system. It feels like something "goes over center" when you push the drawers in that last inch. Whatever it is, it's works well.

Shot w/ top closed...and...the decals removed. Although quite handsome with the Stanley badging, the box suddenly looked better without them. Why I don't know. I'm not ashamed of the Stanley name as I have a lot of their tools.

OK, hate mail time...here is the box all ready to go and "rebranded" by me. I think it's a nice looking box.

I'm loading it up and organizing it now, and once completed I'll share that on the "show us your toolbox" mega thread. I do have most drawers loaded, and the drawers handle the weight fine, the slides are smooth, and the whole thing rolls easily.

Time will tell, but so far I'm pleased with the purchase. For a new box at $300, I don't think it's a bad deal.

Thanks!

Buy the best you can and upgrade as needed. USA if possible. To heck with tool snobs!

Last edited by Displaced Hokie; 09-05-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Displaced Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
jjarrell4

Default Re: So I bought the $299 Stanley roller cab at Costco - initial review

Very nice write up, good looking box I like the rebranding
jjarrell4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
cowboy73

Looks pretty good for the price.
cowboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #4
Abbott

I have always had good luck with Stanley products. Thanks for the review.

[In voice of Gronk, the caveman] "Uh, tool come from across Big Water. Tool bad. Man bad."
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
comosc

Thanks for sharing your review. I've had the same box except it was branded Performax from Menards. Everything looks the same as your box, same stickers except instead of Stanley it says Performax. I believe I bought both for the same price as costco. Menards also has a middle chest you can purchase. For the price it was a decent box, but ended up returning the box for something bigger.
comosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
chopper1

I haven't seen that at our Costco but I do have a couple ??
Do you know the the bottom section is available seperately? And how deep are the 3 bottom drawers in that section?

Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and beat you with experience.
chopper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #7
3 at 8

Good write up with pictures; thanks. I like the high drawer count. Was thinking about it for machining stuff.
3 at 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:09 PM   #8
dankicksass

I like that, looks better than the Craftsman 14-drawer 3pc combo I got a few months ago for about that price.
dankicksass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #9
ImportTuner

Nice looking and good price .. wonder how well it will hold up ..
ImportTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:31 PM   #10
Displaced Hokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper1 View Post
Do you know the the bottom section is available seperately? And how deep are the 3 bottom drawers in that section?
Nope, top and bottom are a package. In the store they are banded together.

The drawers are (5) 1 3/4", (4) 2 3/4" and (3) 5 3/4" from bottom to top of the pull handle. Given the gap between that and the bottom of the above drawer, I guess you have 2", 3", and 6" to play with.

Buy the best you can and upgrade as needed. USA if possible. To heck with tool snobs!

Old 09-05-2010, 10:39 PM   #11
Displaced Hokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by comosc View Post
Thanks for sharing your review. I've had the same box except it was branded Performax from Menards. Everything looks the same as your box, same stickers except instead of Stanley it says Performax. I believe I bought both for the same price as costco. Menards also has a middle chest you can purchase. For the price it was a decent box, but ended up returning the box for something bigger.
Thanks for the info! With things like this, you know they are sold under different brands, so I was curious who else would have something similar. A mid box would be a nice future upgrade, although I like being able to see into the top area. Too bad there is no info on the Menard boxes online. Since I moved back down south, I'm having Menards withdrawl. LOL

Old 09-05-2010, 10:46 PM   #12
chopper1

Originally Posted by chopper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Hokie View Post
Nope, top and bottom are a package. In the store they are banded together.

The drawers are (5) 1 3/4", (4) 2 3/4" and (3) 5 3/4" from bottom to top of the pull handle. Given the gap between that and the bottom of the above drawer, I guess you have 2", 3", and 6" to play with.
Thanks. I don't need another top box but am looking for a cheap roller.

Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and beat you with experience.
chopper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:08 PM   #13
tweety652

that's a nice looking box
tweety652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:12 AM   #14
JASTECH

I keep looking at the Menards box's but are they any good? If you guys like a could start a new thread and post the pics I have of Menards box's?

Thanks, JASTECH
JASTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #15
chancez

Im looking at getting the exact same box soon. I see its been almost 2 months since you bought it, how is it holding up? Is it still nice and sturdy loaded with tools?

Im pretty excited about this box, it looks to be great for the money
chancez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #16
melliott28

I bought the same box about a month ago and I am very happy with it. It isn't top of the line box, but for the money, you won't find a better tool box. (I looked at Craftsman ball bearing combinations, and the cheapest one was $400.) If I had more space and money, I would buy a second one to make room for future expansion. So far, mine is about 3/4 full, but I'm working on filling up the rest!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1107002140a.jpg (133.1 KB, 112 views)
melliott28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #17
Displaced Hokie

Yes, I've been happy with the box so far. I've got some of the drawers loaded pretty heavy and all seems fine. I lubed the drawers before loading it and they move easily. However, the oil I used thinned the grease they were lubed with so the drawers make a little more noise now when opened (you can hear the ball bearings more). I need to share it on the "Show Us Your Toolbox" mega thread here.

Nice to see others buying them. I agree, the box is a great value when compared to what $300 will get you at Sears or anywhere else. If I need more room, I might add a set of side drawers from HF or Sears since you can get them in black from them.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #18
pfbz

I was looking at that box the other day at Costco...

I need another box for infrequently used stuff and bulky stuff that is still better off in drawer than a bin (like extra vise grips, oversize pliers and channel locks, tap and die sets, tire irons, air tools, hammers, specialty tools, etc, etc etc).

Main box will be focuses on wrenches, sockets and ratchets, screwdrivers, plier type tools nut drivers, and other smaller hand tools.
pfbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #19
AdamsAutoAdvice

Does Costco still carry this? I didn't see it on their website.
Want to learn how to write about cars?
>>Auto Writers Handbook << - The Definitive Guide to Auto Journalism
AdamsAutoAdvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #20
AdamsAutoAdvice

I just called a local Costco and the person told me "That's an internet only item." I can't find it on their website though. Have people seen this at Costco or not?
Want to learn how to write about cars?
>>Auto Writers Handbook << - The Definitive Guide to Auto Journalism
AdamsAutoAdvice is offline   Reply With Quote