Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-14-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
mrholeshot

Default Hazet Tools, Whats the Appeal?

Not trying to start a war about brands and I have owned a few Hazet tools. I wasn't real impressed with them. I have to know why some people are just so "gaga" over these things. The ones I've seen were rough looking, sockets to thick and the wrenches look like something out of the 50's. Please help me understand what makes these so appealing as compared to say a tool like Snap-On. I really want to understand it better and like I said my collection of Hazet consist of 1 ratchet 3 wrenches and a handful of sockets. The only reson I own those it they were in a tool box I bought out.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
Monte

Default Re: Hazet Tools, Whats the Appeal?

1. A large Hazet fan base consist of VW fans because VW Bugs came equipped with Hazet tools and workshops back in the days had these small Assistent tool boxes..... its a cult... nobody knows why

2. A matter of taste /appeal

ps: the wrenches changed not much over the years, but why change when it works ??? Some of the best wrenches (imho) have a old design like Hazet wrenches (open end, deep box) or Stahlwille of recent production or the old Snap-On wrenches with the V-shaped recess in the beam which are out of production unfortunately...(one of the coolest wrench designs ever).... see point 2 above...
The good thing about that is if you have to warranty a tool or buy additional sizes the wrench from 1980 looks like the wrench from 2010 no hodgepodge

btw: What do you like about Snap-On ?

Last edited by Monte; 09-14-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Monte is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-14-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
mrholeshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte View Post
1. A large Hazet fan base consist of VW fans because VW Bugs came equipped with Hazet tools and workshops back in the days had these small Assistent tool boxes..... its a cult... nobody knows why

2. A matter of taste /appeal

ps: the wrenches changed not much over the years, but why change when it works ??? Some of the best wrenches (imho) have a old design like Hazet wrenches (open end, deep box) or Stahlwille of recent production or the old Snap-On wrenches with the V-shaped recess in the beam which are out of production unfortunately...(one of the coolest wrench designs ever).... see point 2 above...
The good thing about that is if you have to warranty a tool or buy additional sizes the wrench from 1980 looks like the wrench from 2010 no hodgepodge

btw: What do you like about Snap-On ?
Good answer. I have a few sets of the Snap-On V cut wrenches and use them in my head shop. I love them and hope to never break one.

The thing I like about Snap-On is 1. They stand up to abuse 2. They have changed with time as clearances get tighter the tools are made to fit into those spots. 3. The warranty is great. 4 I love the feel of them (now everybody seems to be following that train of thought). 5 It's nice to own what I consider the best tool.

While Hazet may have no "hodgepodge" they have no advancements either. Trying to use one of their sockets is like trying to use a Snap-On impact socket. On top of that they make no advancemnt in technology yet the price well exceeds Snap-On
Old 09-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
Theloniousmonk

What "Monte" said... def' a matter of taste. Hazet also makes a plethora of specialty tools (benz suspension, etc...) that I use and can only get, it seems, from Hazet or Stahlwille or Geodre.

To me, owning the german tools is as much about their quality as it is about my personal mission to be just a little bit "different" in the shop. Everybody around me is using Mac/Matco/Snappy, I own 1 snapon tool, 1/4-3/8 adapter. If you take a page out of the SnapOn sales brochure, "the tools help define the professional tech", then the german tools help define me (along w/ SK, Armstrong, Wright).

The finish of the tools is a different philosophy, as discussed in other threads... I like the matte finish of the german tools, I've grown to loathe overchromes slippery tools over the years. I'll take industrial black oxide finish wrenches over shinny chrome any day... My set of Wright Metric Combos has the same/similar matte finish as the Geodre double opens I also have, and I love it.

I'll take the taster's choice challenge any day, put my hazet 916s or Felo p3 up against anything that comes off a truck. Not to say I don't appreciate the quality and finish of SnapOn or any other good tool brand.

This looks interesting too:

Last edited by Theloniousmonk; 09-14-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Theloniousmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
mrholeshot

That also makes sence. I have quite a few SK tools and I have special love affair with SK tools. I guess a lot of it stems back to my Father being a lover of S-K and Proto. As far as finish goes I have to admit I love nice chrome. Not only is it easy to clean, it's also easier to find when dropped under the hood of a car. I never really had a problem with them being slippery though. Even with toolboxes. I've always owned Snap-On of Mac tool boxes. Deep down inside I always one built of Oak. I fianlly built it. If for some reason I had to go back to work I'd proudly roll that baby right up in the shop. The personal taste I really understand.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
back2class

Here is my experience. One more reason I wish you would do a wrench test to see if the open ends on lets say a craftsman spreads any more than a Snap-On. If the tolerances are similar and steel is as good I would love to see it. I believe it would be quite eye opening and put alot of debate here to rest.
I had one Hazet wrench. It was just a ugly loking dual 14mm open end that was bent. I tried to straighten it out and couldnt. That included laying it on the anval and whaling it with a 3lb. mallet. The steel was amazing and I doubt any of my snappys or other USA made wrenches would have been so tough. I have been welding and fabricating steel for years in my hobby shop and was beyond amazed with the steel this thing was built with.
back2class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
Theloniousmonk

Total agreement w/ Mrholeshot... My dad also used SK (british and metric) when he restored MG's... Besides the craftsman set I picked up in youth, SK was my go-to and my favorite... there are compromises with all brands though, it seems. When I used to do industrial maint, the shop was only allowed to use Proto, Armstrong or Wright (no idea why)... so I learned to like them. I had a couple bad experiences back in the day w/ the former SO dealer, and never really got over that.
Theloniousmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
HandyManny

Everyone has their preference I guess. When it comes to combo, box, and open end wrenches, sockets, and extentions I prefere Proto and always have. Both Chromed and Black Oxide finish. My second preference in wrenches is New Britain from the 1970's and the current Craftsman Professional. I have a mix match of various tool brands though. For ratchets I have many from Proto to Kobalt to Craftsman to MAC. For pliers I mostly prefere Channellock and always have, but have a few other brands of pliers as well. For adjustable wrenches I prefere the old Diamond Calk, any of the various brands made by Western Forge, or the older pre-Cooper Crescent tool. For screwdrivers I don't get too fussy I still stick with what works - the USA made Stanley 100 Plus screwdrivers.
HandyManny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:12 AM   #9
Monte

If your Hazet sockets are thick like impact sockets so they might be very old ??? Never had problems using them ?? The box ends of the wrenches are also slim enough, but it also depends on what wrenches do you have , open end wrenches are thinner than combo wrenches, the box end of the combo wrenches and deep offset wrenches is higher than the box end of the flat double box wrenches for example, so there is a wrench for every application.

My personal subjective opinion:
I`m a big fan of metal, metal constructions, stainless steel, forged products and industrial stuff like shipyards, tractors etc. so for me if i see something which is forged or welded and you can still see it (no ground welds, no plating etc.) for me it looks good because you can see the craftsmanship, if the welds are ground you dont see it, if the metal is painted or even with a layer of bondo you dont see it too. Stainless Steel constructions mostly are uncoated so you can see the bare metal and perfectly tig welded and how its ground and match perfectly together if ground properly. So if you extend this thinking to wrenches and tools in general and look at Hazet or Stahlwille wrenches for example its the same (for me) You see it is forged because of the deep recess of the Hazet design or even better if you look at the Stahlwille wrenches. You see it is hand made by craftsmen, yes it is plated, but the steel is not hidden under a thick layer of chrome where you dont see anymore that the wrench was once forged. Sure the craftsmanship is there, perfectly ground, but for me the chrome plated wrenches look too boring and all look the same with their engraved/stamped names after forging. They look like cast or plastic and then dipped in chrome (sorry ) So for me personally its the exact opposite of what most people in the US think about tools (since in most cases quality is judged by the design and perfect sleek chrome finish). And the tools hold up too, there was a combo wrench test once which i posted and Hazet won against Snap-on for example. So the finish has also nothing to do with the quality of a tool [(which is solely defined by the fit on the fastener, and the strength) (just ask Mr. Spock ) ]
I also like the knurling on the Hazet sockets for example which really works instead of the decorative knurling of other brands.

The design of the wrenches changed a bit over the last 70 years like you can see here, in the time between these styles they remained almost unchanged for 40 (?) years or so.

I also really like how these wrenches are forged.

Sure there also other tools which i like , like the design of the Armstrong ratchet handles or the design of the SO 936 series ratchets, thats why i own a set. I also like Harleys and old american cars so i have nothing against chrome

Last edited by Monte; 09-14-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
kythri

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2class View Post
One more reason I wish you would do a wrench test to see if the open ends on lets say a craftsman spreads any more than a Snap-On. If the tolerances are similar and steel is as good I would love to see it. I believe it would be quite eye opening and put alot of debate here to rest.
While the ratchet shootout was fun and interesting, it still doesn't really put any debate to rest. The sample size is far too low to be considered indicative of a systemic failing in a particular make/model of tool, especially when so many people have experiences that are directly converse of what was shown in that shootout.

The same goes for the various socket shootouts.

Both of these provided some fantastic information, and both provided a lot of useful information, and I appreciate the time and effort that went into them, but they're not anything that puts the nail in any particular product's coffin.

Don't get me wrong - I'd like to see the wrench open-end shoot out myself - it'd be interesting to see what happens, but you know as well as I do, if Brand A fails to perform as it's fans expect, it's a bad sample, and if Brand B performs far better than it's detractors expect, it's a fluke sample.
kythri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #11
Danglerb

Most of the Hazet tools "floating" around are from old kits supplied with German cars MANY years ago. Those are NOT commercial grade tools, they are restoration items for collectors.

Professional Hazet tools are some of the best made, IMHO they are the best hex and XZN bit sockets made, much better than Snapon for impact use, which is what they are used for on Porsche and VW (CV joints etc.).

Many of the quality Euro brands are not shiny chrome, they are a matte finish, that you either get to like or not. Its one of the brands I always buy when something turns up at a decent price, but for me anyway, new prices are same as Snapon, too high unless I absolutely have to have the specific item.

I've never had a Hazet or Stahlwille pro tool disappoint me in actual use, they are very reliable, and made for function.
Danglerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #12
johnnybentwrench

love hazet. I work on BMW motorcycles and just prefer the look and feel, no different from you snap on guys. There stuff is top quality, it's german!

I guess it really is preference, I also do not like full polished wrenches. another reason I love hazet

if anyone has combination wrenches, I would be interested in purchasing them.
johnnybentwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:20 AM   #13
kukko

a lot of my feelings towards Hazet tools have been touched on previously, so i'm not gonna dwell on them, since i agree with what has been said so far. the philosophy, the matte finish (not a huge fan of chrome tools), steel quality, etc.
i love the ergonomics of Hazet tools, they just feel good when using them.
i work almost exclusively on vintage VW's, and some of the older Hazet specialty stuff just works better than trying to use 'modern' tools that are just 'not quite right'. when buying older Hazet tools, especially VW specialty tools, i seldom worry about them being damaged or unusable when i get them.
i have experienced that i can use Hazet tools in areas where other brands such as Snap~On or Craftsman simply do not work or perform nearly as well. i find that the Hazet sockets are a perfect size (o.d.) for what i need and i rarely have to worry about socket interference. same goes with wrench heads, Hazet just seems to work better for me.
perhaps i am a little biased because i started buying and using Hazet tools very early on and have only had a few sets of 'other' brands to compare, but i always find myself being drawn to the look and feel of Hazet, and have found them to be extremely reliable over the years. i have not had to replace or warranty many Hazet tools, and i have (ab)used them in some pretty extreme circumstances.
i just wish there was a little better sales network in the US. i used to get a lot of tools from Zelenda, but they seem to have changed over the past few years, and i have not bought anything from them in a few years. Samstagsales kinda rubs me the wrong way for some reason. at this time i rely on flea markets/vw swap meets, ebay, and my friend's semi~annual trips to Germany to help me fill my toolboxes.
kukko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #14
mrholeshot

Thanks first of all for all your input and thought. Thanks even more for keeping your remarks civil. I feel I have a better understanding as to the appeal and thats what I was looking for. I feel the same about my old Snap-On tools. I know what you mean about chrome. I like it on my toolbox and motorcycles but on my Hod rods and race car I hate it. I like those to be suttle and look all business. I go to great pains to keep the chrome off those. Polished aluminum is as far as it goes on my street cars and on my race car I keep a natural grain finish on everything. But with anything it has to have quality. I buy a lot of stuff and try cheap stuff from time to time. I end up giving it away to my kids and to some oof the local young hot rodders. If it's a total peice of crap I'll get a refund for it if I bought it new.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #15
Griff93

To me they are no frills rugged made to work tools. I own more SO than Hazet but I do like Hazet. I have some Hazet allen sockets that will get into places my SO ones will not. I would really like to have a full set. They also make a lot of vehicle specific tools as others have mentioned.
Griff93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:43 PM   #16
pep

So how does Hazet compare to TopTul?
pep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #17
caper

Send a message via MSN to caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pep View Post
Awesome post!
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:47 AM   #18
Monte

Quote:
Originally Posted by pep View Post
wrong thread
Old 09-15-2010, 07:19 AM   #19
sarel.wagner

For me, doing work on and owning a number of Air Cooled VW's, Hazet is desirable as they made (NLA) tools specific to these cars. Personally I prefer not so Bling look and feel. I do however have a number of Chromed tools but these are not my favorites. Sockets without knurling or some means of gripping and turning by finger or gloved finger is a problem, same with extensions.

I guess I grew up with non chrome matte tools, matte photographs and in general good German engineering and products. Not of these things have yet disappointed me, apart from the fact that they are expensive (pay once, cry once) but good quality, fit and finish. What my tools look like is important to me, matte or sating chrome if you wish, stay neater longer. Also when I buy new, they look the same as my old well used ones, so my tools keep looking fresh almost forever And I am proud of the tools and that fact.

Rgrds
Old 09-15-2010, 07:37 AM   #20
Fedwrench
Alliance Member

Aside from the cult fans, and those blue and black mechanics outfits, I think Hazet represents the anti bling tool movement. The satin finish combined with rugged durability makes them as well engineered as the German cars people tend to use them on. If you look through the online catalog or sale flyers, there are plenty of modern Hazet tools to choose from. Although some are geared toward automotive platforms not sold in the US, there's still a lot of great tools there. Another thing about Hazet is their minimalist view on tool organization. Their biggest box isn't that big compared to the US truck versions, and their modular sets cover all the bases in a small footprint. I wish Hazet was more widely available in my area.
As for the Toptul comparison post, I think Hazet much like Snap on here, is often imitated but, never duplicated.

Tags
eurotrash, ugly tools