Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Flooring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
st_sdoyle

Default Just Layed Quikretes Epoxy Garage Floor Coating

Hello guys,
Just wanted to tell yall my experience on using the Quikrete Epoxy Garage floor kits.
I had a garage that had been previously painted with an epoxy paint by the previous owner. There were parts of the floor that were coming up from where the tires were. So I called the manufacture and they told me to do a duct tape test to see if the paint was coming up in just those areas, or the whole floor. After placing about 10 pieces of duct tape randomly on the floor, I noticed the paint was coming up on the duct tape all over the floor. They said I could sand the spots that were coming up, or I could GRIND MY WHOLE FLOOR! I did not want to grind my floor, and did not want to sand the whole floor. I found this stuff from Home Depot by Behr CONCRETE & MASONRY PAINT STRIPPER. I put this stuff down and let it sit for about 30 minutes on a test section. I tried to scrap it, but it was not coming up very easy. I then tried my 1200psi pressure sprayer and it came up pretty good. The next day I went and rented a 3000psi sprayer. I poored the paint stripper on and spread it about a 2x10 section with a paint brush and let it sit for 30-45 mins. I then sprayed it off with the sprayer and It came up great!! I got a fan and let the floor dry for about 30 minutes(dry to the touch) and did another section and so on. Not as messy as you would think. I was worried about all that paint coming up and going into the street, but it wasnt that bad.

After a few days of figuring that piece out I was finally ready to scrub the concrete with the etching cleaning solution, BondLok. I followed the directions and scrubbed the whole floor. It did a great job and you could have eat dinner off that concrete. I let the floor dry for about 36 hours, just to be safe.

After waiting for the temperature to come down (90 degrees all day) I started mixing the 2 part epoxy Quikrete kit around 7pm (83 degrees). I mixed the 2 part epoxy kit and waited 30 minutes for the epoxy to mix, and my wife and I started painting. 2 kits for a 2 car garage, so after we painted the trim, we mixed the second kit. She painted and I through the flakes. 2x6 sections as directed. I put the flakes in my hand and through them around, because you could see the spots where you shook the bottle. It took about 1:30 for the 2 car garage. I still had about a half gallon left over.

Looks great, but the only PROBLEM is you can see the 2x6 sections where we painted. BE CAREFUL to keep those edges wet and roll them together good so you dont see this after it drys! OR dont let your wife paint! Doesnt look too bad, but I wish I would have payed a little closer attention to that. I am hoping the clear coat will help hide that. Also I am playing it safe, waiting about a week to put the clear coat on, and no traffic whats so ever for 7 days.

I just wanted to post this because there IS a way to clean those previously painted floors without GRINDING them up. BEHR CONCRETE & MASONRY PAINT STRIPPER and a high pressure sprayer(3000psi or more to make things faster) did an awesome job.

Keys and tips for a fairly easy job.
-PREP PREP PREP the concrete and make sure it is clean and etched.
-Keep the edges of the sections wet and blended. It would probably be good to just follow behind the painter and drop the flakes without doing sections.
-let the new floor cure a little longer than recommeded for traffic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010-09-14_22-12-55_906.jpg (153.8 KB, 728 views)
File Type: jpg 2010-09-14_22-13-10_718.jpg (147.0 KB, 674 views)
File Type: jpg 2010-09-15_14-40-12_147.jpg (140.0 KB, 727 views)

Last edited by st_sdoyle; 09-18-2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: added stuff
st_sdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
aqr81

Default Re: Just Layed Quikretes Epoxy Garage Floor Coating

It sounds like you did a great job with the prep work, which is key to overall performance. Thanks for sharing your activity and let us know periodically how it it holding up and performing for you.
aqr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
monteperformance

How much of the concrete stripper did you need to use to remove the old paint?
monteperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
st_sdoyle

I think it came in a gallon jug for $27. I used about a gallon and a half for my 2 car garage.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #5
st_sdoyle

Default Just Layed Quikretes Epoxy Garage Floor Coating(Finally Done! Clear Coat down)

Hello again. Just finished puting the clear coat on and I love it! I'm an airline pilot and I always loved going in those hangers with those spotless clean floors. Made everything look so neet. I never thought my garage would look like that! Still painting the walls, I will be super careful not to spill the paint on my new floors!

Any ideas on what I can put along the bottom of the walls such as base boards or some kind of boarder to cover up the ugly drywall edges?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010-09-21_11-31-18_12.jpg (147.2 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg 2010-09-21_11-30-46_584.jpg (154.7 KB, 619 views)
File Type: jpg 2010-09-21_11-29-54_197.jpg (147.4 KB, 587 views)

Last edited by st_sdoyle; 09-21-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
Beaner242

Very cool. They sell those rolls of vynal base like you will see in businesses. I think it glues on, that would cover it nicely and be easy.
Beaner242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
jaggudada

Did the bondlok come with quickrete kit or you had to purchase it separately? Is it necessary to do the clear coat? What's the advantage of clear coat? Did you use any anti-skid mix? if not do you feel the floor is slippery?

Can you post a link tot eh quickrete product that you used?
jaggudada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
st_sdoyle

I bought 2 Quikrete kits from Lowes and yes it comes with the bondlok. Just go to lowes.com and search Quikrete Epoxy Garage Floor Kit. It comes in tan or grey or there is a kit that you ask the lowes employee to make your color. I think there is a lot of people that dont use a clear coat, but I know using a clear coat helps seal it and make it tougher and stronger. I did use the anti-skid mix and the Clear coat kit came with it and you can feel that it is not slippery at all. I walked on the floor before I put the clear coat down and I dont think it would be very slippery. Besides that I personaly think the clear coat makes it look a lot better. If you do put a clear coat on I would use the kit. Its specificly made to bond with the other kit. Thats what they told me anyways. Right now the kits are on sale for $55.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_245708-4-002...t%20Gray%20VOC

http://www.quikretecoatings.com/epoxyPremiumClear.jsp
Old 09-26-2010, 02:53 AM   #9
chilla78

How many clear coat kits did you need to finish your garage? I've just put down a coat of Quickrete epoxy on the floor, and I was planning on using the clear coat kit tomorrow but I'm worried whether I'll need a second kit for my two-car garage.
chilla78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #10
innate123

Do you have to neutralize the acid before you lay epoxy down? I was just wondering as my electrician said he's seen floor peel after a year if the acid isn't neutralized. I mention this as I didn't see you say anything about neutralizing.

I'm a newb to most of this stuff so I may be way off base.

Tim
innate123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #11
pima67

My take on acid neutralizing: Since the acid reacts with the calcium in the concrete it is "self neutralizing". It will keep reacting until there is no more acid left to react. More important is that a through job of washing the reaction residue until none remains. You can tell if any remains by running you fingers on the concrete and a whitish powder rubs off on them. If this residue is left on the concrete it, it will interfere with the bonding of the epoxy to the concrete probably resulting in lifting of the coating.

I put Quikcrete on the steps around two sides of my garage. I washed and scrubbed the acid etched areas a couple of times until no residue remained. Getting the residue was a bit of work since I had to vacuum up the water. No problem with lifting so far (admittedly only 6 months).

Last edited by pima67; 09-28-2010 at 04:15 PM.
pima67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #12
Motobob

Your floor looks nice and you gave the correct advice; you have to get the two part clear coat to go with the two part color epoxy. I have done three garage now (one twice) with Quickcrete with solid results. Bob
Motobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #13
mel b

I'm in the process of preparing my basement floor for the Quikcrete epoxy floor. It has been painted with floor paint, I was told by the 1800 valspar rep that if the paint doesn't peel (duct tape trick) then I could clean it with tsp and proceed to the epoxy paint.

I was also told by another customer that he painted the trim first, and it dried a different shade than the interior...so I plan to paint it simulanteoulsy. THis could be a challenge - LOTS of corners and wall, nooks...in my basment.

Does the clear coat make a lot of difference? How long after I paint the epoxy before I can apply the clear coat?

thanks, mel
mel b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #14
DzNuts

St, how do you like the color of your grey? I used the rustoleum light grey and do not care for it. Its got a tint of blue to it, but I'm looking to put down a flake that has a bit of red in it. The first two pix you put up show it as a tint of blue, but the third appears to be the color of grey I am looking for. Which would you say it is? Would you have a problem putting a red on top of that?

Ryan D.
DzNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:19 PM   #15
Freefallin2000

I am also wondering some of the questions mentioned as well. I am trying to decide between this kit, the Behr, and Rustoleum kits. Looks really nice by the way!
Freefallin2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #16
nateshirk

Any updates? I just bought this kit. I'll be putting it down in the spring time.

So the "SEALKRET" premium HI-Gloss Sealer isn't the right stuff? It came in a 1 gallon paint can. I need a 2 part sealer?
nateshirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #17
ducati

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_sdoyle View Post
Hello again. Just finished puting the clear coat on and I love it! I'm an airline pilot and I always loved going in those hangers with those spotless clean floors. Made everything look so neet. I never thought my garage would look like that! Still painting the walls, I will be super careful not to spill the paint on my new floors!

Any ideas on what I can put along the bottom of the walls such as base boards or some kind of boarder to cover up the ugly drywall edges?
Easiest thing would be to use vinyl base, probably about $.50 a foot. They make glue for it in quart tubes and appliers that go over the end of the tube. The stuff is so easy to put on a monkey could do it. Your other option would be to put up some 1X4's with a finish gun and paint it.
ducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #18
mattthias

looks great!
mattthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #19
nateshirk

Bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateshirk View Post
Any updates? I just bought this kit. I'll be putting it down in the spring time.

So the "SEALKRET" premium HI-Gloss Sealer isn't the right stuff? It came in a 1 gallon paint can. I need a 2 part sealer?
And some questions I had for another guy who may no longer be on here, or maybe someone can answer.

Quote:
How was the smell? I have kids, and don't want the smell to be too strong in the house. Should they leave for the day?

Did the tape peel off easily?

Will the bond lok affect my asphualt driveway?
Quote:
Bump for unanswered questions.......and one more. Should I stop where the door meets the concrete, or go all the way to where the concrete meets the asphault?
Old 03-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #20
st_sdoyle

Hey guys i am back to update you a year and a half later to let yall know my garage floor still looks amazing just like the day i took these pictures. I am extremely pleased with how well this product held up. Ill probably put another clear coat on this summer. Thanks
Old 03-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #21
nateshirk

Good to hear. I have mine. Just haven't layed it yet.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #22
Aeroman

Glad the Quikrete worked for you! I unfortunelty did not have a good experience with it despite prepping the floor per their instructions. 3-4 years later, it has been flaking off in various spots.
Aeroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #23
coalminer

looks great .. i think i will go with the same product in my 24x40 .....
Old 03-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #24
Dick in Wisconsin

"I then tried my 1200psi pressure sprayer and it came up pretty good. The next day I went and rented a 3000psi sprayer. I poored the paint stripper on and spread it about a 2x10 section with a paint brush and let it sit for 30-45 mins. I then sprayed it off with the sprayer and It came up great!! "

Did you experience the 3000psi sprayer taking the "top" off the concrete slab? I used an expensive no name electric pressure sprayer on my garage floor to clean it and it took the top of the concrete off and exposed the aggregrate. I didn't think I was lingering in one space too long.
20x22 attached garage (Sears opener w/40w lite, one 75w ceiling lite on pull chain, no heat no running water no TV no AC, one GFCI outlet on main bath circuit in a lousy location), added 8 outlet (4 in each location w/GFCI), 10x20 detached garage (one outlet in wrong location & 75w ceiling light on pull chain), looking to build bigger garage.
#90 Heilig-Meyers Ford Taurus-1996 Suburban 1500-24' enclosed trailer-lots of tools
Wears sound warnings like a badge of honor
Dick in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #25
LegacyIndustrial

Dick, you may have had a weak cap. This can occur with a really wet pour, frozen during curing, etc...
LegacyIndustrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #26
st_sdoyle

Yea i agree with the wet poured concrete. That can definitely make a weak surface that will come up eventually. I could have used a 5000psi sprayer and it wasnt gonna come up up. You also gotta angle it like a knife blade to peel that epoxy up.

As for aeroman, thats why i think i will add a clear coat kit every few years to keep it from peeling.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #27
Dick in Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyIndustrial View Post
Dick, you may have had a weak cap. This can occur with a really wet pour, frozen during curing, etc...
So can I infer that if the concrete is put down correctly, the surface will be almost like steel? Pretty much impervious to stripping the top off with a pressure washer?
20x22 attached garage (Sears opener w/40w lite, one 75w ceiling lite on pull chain, no heat no running water no TV no AC, one GFCI outlet on main bath circuit in a lousy location), added 8 outlet (4 in each location w/GFCI), 10x20 detached garage (one outlet in wrong location & 75w ceiling light on pull chain), looking to build bigger garage.
#90 Heilig-Meyers Ford Taurus-1996 Suburban 1500-24' enclosed trailer-lots of tools
Wears sound warnings like a badge of honor
Dick in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote