Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-06-2010, 09:40 AM   #21
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

Default Re: Pros and Cons of using kerosene heater in garage?

huh ?

what?

Is it warmer enough ?

WHAT?

IS IT WARM ENOUGH ?

YEAH.

man, that thing stinks.

yes, it does. . . I love this song, I wish we could have heard the whole thing.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:56 AM   #22
haugy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTTSGT View Post
huh ?

what?

Is it warmer enough ?

WHAT?

IS IT WARM ENOUGH ?

YEAH.

man, that thing stinks.

yes, it does. . . I love this song, I wish we could have heard the whole thing.

Yep.

I use them to bring the temp up fast when I'm in there. Other than that I don't run them. I use about 6 safety heaters to keep the temp around 50 degrees.
haugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-08-2010, 02:41 AM   #23
jwillis
Banned

I have used a Kerosun (type) 20,000 BTU heater in my house for the past 20 years with no problems. My family room is in the basement so I put it at the bottom of the stairs-it heats my family room plus it goes upstairs and heat half the house. I usually buy close to 100 gallons in the summer when the price is down. Buying it in the middle of the winter five gallons at a time is a hassle. I have gotten used to wearing sweats in my house in the winter if I keep the temperature down lower. I will probably use mine in my new garage this winter. Besides my garage, I have a 14 X 16 shop and one of these heaters will heat it up to about 100* in the middle of the winter. I really like kerosene heaters. No noise, no blowers, just awesome heat. Good luck.
jwillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:28 PM   #24
crewchief888

i use a coleman propane heater in the garage if i have to just knock the chill off.

i'm a field service tech at a construction eq dealer, and dress for the weather
if it's that cold, and i have to be in the garage, ive already got multiple layers of warm clothes on.
i'll fire up the heater if i know i'll have to take my gloves off to work.
once the wind chills drop below zero, i park myself in the house.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #25
Stuart in MN

I had a Reddy kerosene salamander heater I bought brand new. I only used it a couple times - even with kerosene it made my eyes water, and it generated a huge amount of condensation on everything in the garage. Maybe I'm more sensitive to the fumes than most people, but it sure wasn't for me.
Stuart in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #26
sixball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart in MN View Post
I had a Reddy kerosene salamander heater I bought brand new. I only used it a couple times - even with kerosene it made my eyes water, and it generated a huge amount of condensation on everything in the garage. Maybe I'm more sensitive to the fumes than most people, but it sure wasn't for me.
Mine had a stronger order the first tank full I ran thru mine. I think the manual said something about that happening due to whats done at the factory before shipping. Now I don't really notice it, but I keep my door partially open to vent.

Sixball
sixball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #27
JC23

I started with a torpedo and now use three of the small tower kero heaters. With two good ceiling fans, the 900 SF warms up fine in less than two hours. The towers seem to run for days on a tank of kero. Picked them up for like $25-30 on CL. And they are easy to rebuild as there's not too much to them.

I sometimes use the torpedo to warm things up faster. And like many on here, I gagged at the diesel fumes so I stepped up for the kero.

As for the smell, I use an additive that reduces the kero smell and they sell that at Lowes/Depot. I'm not trying to go all Marth Stewart on ya but the additive comes in flavors, too. Between that and getting used to it, I don't know it's there.

Best thing is to insulate the sh!t out of the space. That way, your heat will stick around longer. I can work on the weekend and still be useable on Monday in most cases.
JC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:18 PM   #28
sjt78

I'll have to check on those additives at Lowe/Home Depot. That might make things more manageable.
sjt78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #29
Steve_P

I've had a 60k btu one for ~15 yrs and like most others here I have no issues with it. I am in a basement garage/shop that rarely goes below 50F in the winter so I just use it occasionally during the day for 10-15 minutes to raise the temp a few degrees. I have no issues with condensation, fumes, etc. I do not crack doors or windows but obviously you are on your own with that.
Steve_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #30
sixball

I think some of the condensation issues come from heating up so quickly without any venting. If you raise the temp from 30 degrees to 70 in a half hour like these torpedos can do, you may see some condensation, but it's because the temp is rising so fast.

My garage rarely gets under 34 or so, and even though my heater raises the temp to 70-75 in about a half an hour, I don''t see any condensation, but I also vent it well. Condensation would also have alot to do with the climate outside. A dry cold winter day versus a rainy cold day.

Sixball
Old 10-13-2010, 08:45 AM   #31
danski0224

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjt78 View Post
Thanks for the advice! It's great to hear from someone who has experience using a salamander, torpedo, whatever you want to call them heater. I will address the CO issue with buying a CO detector with a digital read out. I have one of those in the hallway that is directly above the garage that I will also monitor to make sure it is not getting into the house. When my house was built in the late 50's they decided to run the forced air ducts into the garage to have a 'heated garage.' Well for a number of reasons that is a bad idea, so I've since sealed up the two vents that are in the garage. Before running this heater I'll probably just double check that they are still sealed well.

I realize that the cost effectiveness of kerosene is not really great right now. I'm figuring that I'd probably go through no more than 20 gallons all winter so it might not be that bad. I plan to use the heater for 30 minutes to an hour on full blast to bring the temp up to the high 50's/low 60's then manage the rest of the time with the electric heaters. That way I'll not be using much fuel and hopefully will keep the stink down a bit. My heater does have a thermostat as well, so if it is really cold I can keep the Reddy heater

I do plan on keeping the heater a good distance from anything, especially the car but thanks for the reminder. I will also leave the garage door open 6" or so, or keep the man door open a bit while running the heater just to be safe.
Note on UL listed storebought CO detectors:

They are useless.

They will not alarm until the count is >/= 200ppm for 2 continuous hours.

You will be in trouble if you are relying on a storebought CO detector to keep you safe. Elevated garage CO levels are brought into the house when you open the door.

Anytime you burn something in an enclosed space, you are depleting oxygen. Continuing, once O2 is depleted below a certain point, CO will be created.

The newer hot surface ignition (HSI) models burn much nicer than the sparkplug models. More kerosene odor is created during burner off/on cycles than leaving it on.

I have a 60k btu Reddy Heater with the HSI ignition. Burns about 1 gallon per hour. The remote thermostat works nicer than the stat built into the heater because it is higher.
danski0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #32
sixball

Quote:
Originally Posted by danski0224 View Post
Note on UL listed storebought CO detectors:

They are useless.

They will not alarm until the count is >/= 200ppm for 2 continuous hours.

You will be in trouble if you are relying on a storebought CO detector to keep you safe. Elevated garage CO levels are brought into the house when you open the door.

Anytime you burn something in an enclosed space, you are depleting oxygen. Continuing, once O2 is depleted below a certain point, CO will be created.

The newer hot surface ignition (HSI) models burn much nicer than the sparkplug models. More kerosene odor is created during burner off/on cycles than leaving it on.

I have a 60k btu Reddy Heater with the HSI ignition. Burns about 1 gallon per hour. The remote thermostat works nicer than the stat built into the heater because it is higher.
Are there any other CO detectors out there that would be better suited for this type of situation? I was actually going to pick up a CO sensor this weekend for the garage since the weather is starting to turn that way again.

I've never felt weird or anything out in my garage with the torpedo running off and on all day, but I do keep the man door open about half way in a 24 X 32 garage. Last summer I installed a 12 inch power roof vent, and I was hoping by running that I could shut the man door? Thats why I wanted to pick up a CO detector, so I could monitor the difference.

Obviously the heater wouldn't have to run as much if I could shut the door, and I could keep alot more heat in.

Sixball
Old 10-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #33
sjt78

Good thing I didn't open the package to the digital CO detector I just bought...didn't realize it measured increases in CO over a span of hours. BTW, the Reddy heater I have is one of the newer ones with the HSI ignition.
sjt78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #34
danski0224

Off on the numbers a bit, but if you do a search on "low level CO adetector", lots os stuff comes up.

I am NCI certified, so I have the NSI 3000.

Here is an informative general link: http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore...like/id87.html
danski0224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #35
subarub4

Hey i too have the radiant kero heater I'm waiting for the 2nd one to be delivered today as well.. but I have a question for the radiant forced air type does that kero-clean stuff work at all for this type or is it more for a heater with a wick?

I ask because I mixed the 2 oz in with 5 gal of kerosene and I could not smell a difference.
subarub4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #36
SportFury59

Nobody's mentioned gasoline fume dangers. As I understand it gasoline fumes travel along the floor and is maybe drawn to a torpedo heater or wood stove because of the low height of the units flame. I read recently that in some areas, code dictates that open flame heaters in a garage have to be at least 8' above garage floor to be safe. That would mean something like a Modine Hot Dawg heater attached to ceiling.

Sometimes you hear of guys working on their motorcycles in basement that has a gas water heater down there and the fumes travel to flame and - boom.

I have and use a 115,000 btu torpedo heater in my garage. I use off-road diesel fuel in mine. Cheaper, no road tax on it. Can't tell difference between that and kero. I also have wood stove in garage. (double whammy on fume danger) Use kero to get up to temp quickly, then wood keeps it toasty.
-building new garage for above-
SportFury59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #37
subarub4

I have a pro-temp kero forced air heater and I've used normal kerosene in it but last year I switched to diesel since it was cheaper for me. I don't notice any different smell from it, I never used K-1 yet because of the small bottles and high price.

I have no garage so I just run it outside.

lol I did not notice I posted in this thread before hah google search.
subarub4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #38
rlitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarub4 View Post
Hey i too have the radiant kero heater I'm waiting for the 2nd one to be delivered today as well.. but I have a question for the radiant forced air type does that kero-clean stuff work at all for this type or is it more for a heater with a wick?

I ask because I mixed the 2 oz in with 5 gal of kerosene and I could not smell a difference.
The kero-clean stuff is just alcohol (generally methanol). It may help a wick burn cleaner, but will not help with a torpedo or radiant heater. It may actually hurt. By increasing the flame temperature, it increases NOx production.

I've used torpedo heaters (and still have one left) in my garage. Anyone who says they don't smell, is either single, or has no nose. I've burned diesel in mine. The smell was far worse, although I would imagine that in a larger burner, or a radiant model, it wouldn't be as bad.

In any case, I switched to a sealed combustion kerosene heater. I bought a Monitor heater on craigslist, and never looked back. Zero smell (except from pouring fuel), zero indoor CO (my CO detector has a digital display and has reached 40PPM before I shut my torpedo heaters), and no risk of igniting fumes because the intake and exhaust are both outside.
rlitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #39
ratdoggy

I run my torpedo for probably a half hour before I start working in there and it may go on a couple of times after that but it's probably the best compromise.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #40
ratdoggy

They do have an odor. If you are running clean kero and your heater is tuned up it isn't bad. Diesel smells awful.