Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #61
subarub4

Default Re: Pros and Cons of using kerosene heater in garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOwens View Post
Around here I run my torpedo heater with jet fuel which I get at the local airport. It is about $4.00 a gallon and is a lot cleaner burning than the stuff you buy at home depo or your local farm supply. Jet fuel is kerosene that has supposedly been filtered to a higher level. There are a lot of farmers that run jet fuel in there old kerosene hobby tractors so I would not be worried about running it in a heater.
My heater can also run JP8 fuel, do you just go to the airport and say you want fuel? I never understood how something like that would play out.
subarub4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:36 PM   #62
jvitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlins87 View Post
Anyone experienced with the Pros and cons of running a kerosene type heater vs one that runs on propane? Is propane worse for co2 and co?
I've got a kerosene convection type 23Kbtu kerosene heater, and several propane heaters (35Kbtu radiant, 30Kbtu torpedo, 9Kbtu Portable Buddy). I bought the kerosene one more to have something in case of power outages which thankfully are very rare here, but I do like to use in the garage.

Kerosene. Pros: love the quiet heat of the convection heater. Very little odor and I don't mind the smell anyway. Cons: only 23Kbtu. No kerosene pumps here, it's only available in 2.5 gal jugs for $25 CDN, yup, $10 a US gallon.

Propane: Pros: much cheaper than kerosene here, much better availability, much less odor though there still is a very slight amount. Cons: lots of moisture from combustion, any propane leaks smell like rotton eggs, and most importantly the heat output of any propane heater diminishes as the tank temp drops. Eg.: right now it's -24C outside and -15C inside my partially heated garage, so every 20 or 40 lb propane tank I have is at -15C which noticeably reduces the amount of heat generated by the heater until the whole garage and therefore the tanks heat up. Propane tanks are heavier and more cumbersome to haul around than kerosene jugs.

CO I don't know for sure, except to say incomplete combustion causes CO production, so adequate ventilation is key to both.

The answer: "All of it."
jvitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #63
outdoorsman310

the torpedo heaters work well. if you have a small home garage it would probably be too much. the shop I work at uses them and we currently run diesel in them. i guess there is a slight smell but I don't notice it. if it runs out of fuel it will make a smoke cloud but not that big of a deal. I have not noticed condensation on tools and such. with a 2 car garage, you may want to open a window or prop the door open a bit while running it. I would put it near the door facing towards the inside of the garage and just see how it works. since you already have it, I would recommend just experimenting with it. no experience with kero
Old 12-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #64
Bull
Super Moderator

I think my dad has one or two old kero torpedo heaters in his garage. Can these things be dusted off after a long, long storage and put to use? Are there parts to be disassembled and cleaned to get them back into fighting trim?

I want to try using one to get my 24x32 up to temp quickly, and then let my 220v electric maintain after that.

EUDAIMONIA
"It Pays to Stay in the USA!"
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #65
driz

Quote:
Around here I run my torpedo heater with jet fuel which I get at the local airport. It is about $4.00 a gallon and is a lot cleaner burning than the stuff you buy at home depo or your local farm supply. Jet fuel is kerosene that has supposedly been filtered to a higher level. There are a lot of farmers that run jet fuel in there old kerosene hobby tractors so I would not be worried about running it in a heater.
I used to know a guy who burned it in his oil furnace. He worked at an airport and they drained off some every day to make sure all water was out of it. He just separated it out and dumped it into a can every day to later pour in his tank at home.
I need to finish making the Babington Burner I started a while back. It's time I start getting rid of the 80+ gallons of old crank case oil I have built up over the last 10 years. Somewhere I have that set of .010" drill bits to drill that old door knob.....................
driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #66
HTGTS350
Banned

Kero is $15 a gallon here, I still love the smell of it although it is too expensive to use.
HTGTS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #67
fitz11

How does the nose compare between the kero and propane turbo heaters?
fitz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #68
fitz11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTGTS350 View Post
Kero is $15 a gallon here, I still love the smell of it although it is too expensive to use.
$15 a gallon?! Where do you live?
fitz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:44 AM   #69
boostme

Kerosene in IL at meanards is 20.97 for 2.5 gal..at least online

I thought it was cheaper in-store

Im working on a 120,000 BTU heater for my garage. . I don't need permits or inspections but i plan on checking for leaks and see if it holds pressure

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
boostme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 05:01 AM   #70
driz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz11 View Post
$15 a gallon?! Where do you live?

Damn, for that kind of coin I would just start burning the furniture . You can probably get it delivered by an oil company if you can't find it at a local gas station. Besides, good old diesel is really the same darned thing just a lot cleaner these days and you can surely get that locally. Any time you buy something like that in a special can at a store you get screwed
Old 12-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #71
HTGTS350
Banned

Australia, $15 for a 4L bottle. we are the most highly taxed country in the world, due to being heavily burdened by immigrants that for some reason our government chooses to subsidise at the expense of those that were born here.
HTGTS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #72
sixball

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostme View Post
Kerosene in IL at meanards is 20.97 for 2.5 gal..at least online

I thought it was cheaper in-store

Im working on a 120,000 BTU heater for my garage. . I don't need permits or inspections but i plan on checking for leaks and see if it holds pressure

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I thinks it's 17 bucks and some change at the store. I buy that for my birdcage kero heater that I use occasionally. Thats still 7 bucks a gallon though. There was one gas station in town that sold kero at a pump, but I havn't been there in a while to see how much that is. Thats why I use diesel in my radiant torpedo, it's about 3.50 a gallon.

Sixball
sixball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #73
rlitman

Ouch. Point is if you can't get kerosene at a pump, find something else to heat with.
rlitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #74
MOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarub4 View Post
My heater can also run JP8 fuel, do you just go to the airport and say you want fuel? I never understood how something like that would play out.
I just go to the aviation mechanics shop as they are the ones that sell and pump fuel at our airport. You might have to call around and see if your local airport mechanic shop does the same.
MOwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #75
57JoeFoMoPar

I too have a Reddy 70,000 BTU bullet heater, and it will run on kerosene, diesel or Jet A. Kero is expensive and not convenient to get, so I run mine on diesel. Yes, it does have a bit of an odor, but it's not too bad and even my wife doesn't mind being outside with me in the garage when it's been running. I've found that when the heater gets very low on fuel, or if the air filter in the back of the machine gets dirty it will start to smell real bad and make your eyes water. Generally speaking, it's not an issue. I run my heater often and it has performed well for me and allowed me to use my garage throughout the winter comfortably, with just a long sleeve shirt and jeans no matter how cold it is outside. Yes, CO is a concern, and you wouldn't want to run it in a closed area for a real long time without some fresh air ventilation. But it works well for what it is and is an effective stand-alone unit that negates permits or some permanent heating system.
57JoeFoMoPar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #76
subarub4

Quote:
I just go to the aviation mechanics shop as they are the ones that sell and pump fuel at our airport. You might have to call around and see if your local airport mechanic shop does the same.
Thanks I will have to check, the closest airport to me is Westchester county airport.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #77
driz

Just drive over by the personnel gate down where they park the Cessnas and Pipers. Walk in and see whoever is in the FBO office . They will most likely take care of you. Most places use a credit card just like your local stop n rob. Don't wander around out by the planes without getting someone's attention so they don't get all bent out of shape . That 100LL avgas for gas planes is great for your chain saws and small engines. No alcohol in that, not a tiny drop and it will easily last a year sitting in a can.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #78
Autorotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixball View Post
If it has a wick like the birdcage indoor type kero heaters, you CAN'T use diesel in those. For the forced air torpedo or radiant torpedo heaters, you can use diesel in those.

As far as smell, it must vary from person to person. I use diesel and it does not smell to me. I don't get watery eyes or headaches. Now a friend of mine ran kero in his torpedo, and the kero bothered me. Preference I guess.

Sixball
I have used diesel in my wick style kerosene heaters in the shop...

Chris
Autorotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #79
subarub4

Quote:
Originally Posted by driz View Post
Just drive over by the personnel gate down where they park the Cessnas and Pipers. Walk in and see whoever is in the FBO office . They will most likely take care of you. Most places use a credit card just like your local stop n rob. Don't wander around out by the planes without getting someone's attention so they don't get all bent out of shape . That 100LL avgas for gas planes is great for your chain saws and small engines. No alcohol in that, not a tiny drop and it will easily last a year sitting in a can.
I guess these prices are current

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KHPN#biz

I pretty sure the heater can take jet A
Old 12-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #80
sixball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autorotica View Post
I have used diesel in my wick style kerosene heaters in the shop...

Chris
It will burn yes, but the wick will not last long at all.

Sixball
sixball is offline   Reply With Quote