Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-30-2007, 03:10 AM   #1
Sierra Stud

Send a message via Yahoo to Sierra Stud
Default Drywall alternatives?

Has anyone done any different type of wall covering other than drywall?

I've looked into a plastic style 4X8' sheets that are 3/16" thick and has a beaded water look to it.. if that makes any sence. I figure that if I go with something like that, I can silicone seal all the joints and have an easy to clean wall covering that would remain glossy and never have to be painted.

Any options or input?
Sierra Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:21 AM   #2
oldgoat

Default Re: Drywall alternatives?

I take it you are talking about the bathtub wall panels? They probably would be a good idea as long as you put them over some kind of support. The ones I have seen are rather flimsey. I kind of like the idea if I hadn't already done my walls. Have heard of using pegboard and also OSB or plywood. I don't like OSB because it just looks a little ragged.
oldgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-30-2007, 03:30 AM   #3
Sierra Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat
I take it you are talking about the bathtub wall panels? They probably would be a good idea as long as you put them over some kind of support. The ones I have seen are rather flimsey. I kind of like the idea if I hadn't already done my walls. Have heard of using pegboard and also OSB or plywood. I don't like OSB because it just looks a little ragged.
I don't think their bathtub panals, I think they use these panels for more/less industrial needs, like resturant kitchens

I'll look for the link on the Lowes website and post it up.
Thanks for the reply!
Old 01-30-2007, 03:35 AM   #4
Sierra Stud

I guess its 1/8" thick and your right, it would definatly need some type of backing.

Here's the link: Here
Old 01-30-2007, 05:44 AM   #5
PAToyota

Send a message via AIM to PAToyota

Search a little bit - people have used FRP, corrugated metal, and other materials.
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:03 PM   #6
Lu47Dan

Most of the backing I have seen behind those panel is 1/2" drywall , the drywall is taped ,mudded and sanded . Then the panels are glued up to the drywall with Liquid nails type adhesive . the seams are hidden with a vinyl channel made for that application . And these panels do not last forever , grinding sparks like to stick to them ( don't ask how I know ) , some automotive chemicals stain them , and a host of other problems . But if you are looking for a different look then have at it and post pictures of the finished project . Dan
Old 01-30-2007, 11:21 PM   #7
mulepackin

Be careful not using drywall and tape first on garage walls, especially an attached garage. My area building code requires fire rock and taped (5/8 rock on walls and double taped) for att. garages. Not too sure on nonattached garage, but I'd check. If not done and you have an issue, your insurance may not pay, or if you go to sell it may have to be done to satisfy some gov't subsidized loans.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:24 PM   #8
Krodad

Hardi-Panel!
Krodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:33 AM   #9
Davey4000

I'm using 1"x8"x12' kiln dried pine boards. They are rough on one side and smooth on the other. I'm installing them rough side out and will not paint or stain them. The bottom 4' will be vertical and the top 6' horizontal. I'm going to install a chair rail of sorts at the transition with a small ledge for laying things.

I found them for $3.90 each so it works out to be about $0.50 a sq ft. My only concern is combustibility, but I'm going with it anyway.
Davey4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:02 AM   #10
leadsled01

I used 7/16" osb. I can hang anything anywhere, holds screws and nails very well.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #11
1320stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krodad
Hardi-Panel!
There you go!! Cement fiber board, impervious to water, harder than drywall, paintable, needs no backing although it would be tougher between studs if you did. I don't know what kind of fire rating it has, but it doesn't burn and shouldn't be a problem with grinding or welding sparks. You can get it smooth, with a stucco texture, or in a T-111 style.
1320stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:06 AM   #12
Chop Top

I used FRP in my garage. It reflects light well and is easy to clean. Just shoot it with a pressure washer and good as new. A friend that installs this type of panels for a living gave it to me. I installed it over OSB plywood. The plywood is nice to have as a backer so that it is easy to hang cabinets, shelves, and other such without searching for a stud in the wall.

If you decided to go this route, let me know and I can gice some tips on install.

Chop
Chop Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:20 AM   #13
kbs2244

Go to www.teksupply.com

They sell to landscapers, daries, etc. Lots of different kinds of panels, PEX pipe for the floors, lights, etc, etc, etc.

Get the catalog. It is a good read.
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:18 AM   #14
daworz

I had a friend that has a car detail shop and removed all the Bright White vinyal(sp) siding off a house and put it up in his shop with shop lights on the walls and man is it bright? He used cheap OSB board on the walls before. Looks sharp. May not be what your after but he also has wire shelves on the wall also. And at one end of the shop he has old metal cabnits that he had painted with auto paint (clear coat),Red and man do those look sharp as well.
daworz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:27 AM   #15
badhst

Thumbs up Re: Drywall alternatives?

Take a look at www.nudo.com they have a wide variety of products ranging from plywood backed sheeting to drywall backed sheeting. these products are the same type materials found at most of your self wash car washes. These are excellent products, as I am going to finish my 40' x 50' garage with them this spring !!!

Last edited by badhst; 02-05-2007 at 11:38 AM.
badhst is offline   Reply With Quote