Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
thomfr
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Helden The Netherlands
Posts: 76
Default Looking for a clever (wall)mounting for Vise

Due to the fact that my garage space will be more or less non existent because of the arrival of twins in January (if everything goes well) and starting my own business last year . Which means that I will only have space for a folding-down workbench and some racks for storage of my stuff.

However, I would like to give my vise a fixed place. Due to the folding concept of my future workbench it is no option to mount it on it.
I do not want to mount it on the floor as this is a nice tile floor and the fact that I hopefully can move my stuff to a new garage in a few years and then integrating the current place into the living room.

The solution I think about is a wall mount which is near to the wall while not using the vise and can be erected while in use.
But it should be stable and affordable.

This is the subject:



Thank you for every good idea (pref. with pictures).

Thom

(yes I scrolled through all pages of the vise topic)
thomfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
leftyz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 595
Default Re: Looking for a clever (wall)mounting for Vise

Check out how Jack Olsen mounts his anvil (and sometime vises, I think?) on the leftmost wall of his shop.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=55006
__________________
sig goes here
leftyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
MScott
Senior Member
 
MScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 961
Default Re: Looking for a clever (wall)mounting for Vise

Found this on another forum. This chap built a receiver on a corner of his shop and then built/re-engineered a number of tools that slip into the receiver. He has a vice, shrinker, planishing hammer, english wheel, bead roller and welding table. If you follow along from page 60 to page 52 you can see all of the tools. One of the best uses of small space that I have ever seen.

http://www.clubhotrod.com/forums/sho...t=6440&page=60
Attached Images
File Type: jpg metalworkingtoolstorage.jpg (87.1 KB, 238 views)
MScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
TAMPAGT07
Senior Member
 
TAMPAGT07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Palm Harbor, Fl
Posts: 6,309
Default Re: Looking for a clever (wall)mounting for Vise

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyz View Post
Check out how Jack Olsen mounts his anvil (and sometime vises, I think?) on the leftmost wall of his shop.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=55006
Yupp....Jack's to go-to guy on the wall mount's...
__________________
This posting is copyrighted by TAMPAGT07 for the private use of our audience. Any other use of this posting or any pictures, descriptions, or accounts of the posting without TAMPAGT07's consent is prohibited. (This mesage was bought to you by TAMPAGT07''s legal team, the three Robinowitz's)
TAMPAGT07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator
 
Jack Olsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,898
Default Re: Looking for a clever (wall)mounting for Vise

That's me. :cool

Here are some pictures. Unfortunately, they don't show the most important part of it. But I pulled off a piece of the wall (plywood), and bridged between two studs with steel, bolting a twin trailer hitch from above, below and one side. Then I put the plywood back on.



Because I was welding neat this table, the plywood got covered with aluminum flashing.



I made double-tongue bases for my vise, grinder and a lightweight anvil. You can see the anvil here.



Down below, I made a kind of set screw assembly so I could tighten the insert in the hitch.



That's a part from a drill press -- cost something like $2.

It's pretty flush when the table is up. And I can pull it out and put it away if it gets in the way:



But right where I need it when the table is down. This picture shows the grinder in the mount.

Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #6
haugy
Senior Member
 
haugy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 609
Default Re: Looking for a clever (wall)mounting for Vise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
That's me. :cool

Here are some pictures. Unfortunately, they don't show the most important part of it. But I pulled off a piece of the wall (plywood), and bridged between two studs with steel, bolting a twin trailer hitch from above, below and one side. Then I put the plywood back on.
I like that setup, do you have any pics with the plywood off?
haugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator
 
Jack Olsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,898
Default Re: Looking for a clever (wall)mounting for Vise

Sorry. I don't.
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
mad57
Senior Member
 
mad57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,698
Default Re: Looking for a clever (wall)mounting for Vise

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomfr View Post
Due to the fact that my garage space will be more or less non existent because of the arrival of twins in January (if everything goes well) and starting my own business last year . Which means that I will only have space for a folding-down workbench and some racks for storage of my stuff.

However, I would like to give my vise a fixed place. Due to the folding concept of my future workbench it is no option to mount it on it.
I do not want to mount it on the floor as this is a nice tile floor and the fact that I hopefully can move my stuff to a new garage in a few years and then integrating the current place into the living room.

The solution I think about is a wall mount which is near to the wall while not using the vise and can be erected while in use.
But it should be stable and affordable.

This is the subject:



Thank you for every good idea (pref. with pictures).

Thom

(yes I scrolled through all pages of the vise topic)
Good luck with the twins i have 2 girls now 5yrs best think ive ever done!!!!
__________________
Work to live not live to work.

Iam also vice president of my car club: Wickedridesnj.com check it out!!!!
mad57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:46 PM   #9
kursplat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: S.Cal
Posts: 765
Default Re: Looking for a clever (wall)mounting for Vise

receivers are good, but how about a swing arm with a fold down stiff leg?
kursplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #10
thomfr
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Helden The Netherlands
Posts: 76
Default Re: Looking for a clever (wall)mounting for Vise

Quote:
Originally Posted by kursplat View Post
receivers are good, but how about a swing arm with a fold down stiff leg?
Good idea, but how to suspend the force of the down movement while swinging down?

Thom
thomfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 PM.