Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2007, 08:02 AM   #41
rotus7

Default Re: Please Post Pictures of Painted OSB Interior Walls and Ceilings

Need to catch up with you guys...

Chelly: The smooth side was used and it took lots of sanding from what I was told to remove the ink stamp. It's still slightly visable in a few spots but you have to look really hard for it. Don't really know about the "popping." Trim would be of your choice, lots of material options out there.

Sorry, I forgot who else asked....but a rabbitted edge is where a specified width and thickness is routed out from the edge leaving approximately half the thickness of the original material. Dado's can be used to create the same affect. If you need more guidance, go to a woodworking site and you should be able to find all the info on these techniques.

I don't know but I would imagine fire retardant paint would be rather pricey.
rotus7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:22 PM   #42
TorqueWrench

I used OSB for the interior walls on my basement shop area as well last year. I like the look of the chip design. My plan was to stain it with a semi transparent stain as someone mentioned before, but I haven't done that yet. I stained a piece with some dark walnut stain and it looked pretty cool.
The OSB I bought was only marked on the rough side, another brand I bought was marked on the smooth side though. After I hung it, I sanded with like 60-80 grit and the markings were gone fast and the wall was fairly smooth. I planned to caulk the seams with latex caulk.
OSB is a personal choice I guess. I like it for the same reasons posted above, durable, cheap, different and no mudding and taping.
Infact, I liked it so much I built a small paint booth in the corner of my work area out of it.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:37 PM   #43
dixie

Here's a picture of mine that I did in OSB years ago and white paint. Looks cheap though and always regreted it with the paint pealing off and repainted it a few times over the years.

I've decided to redo it all with grey magnesiacore which was noted in another thread on the forum without removing the old OSB. I will use 1/4", panel adhesive and surface mounted screws.

This is the site www.magnesiacore.com for the stuff. I think its the perfect "garage wallboard" for many reasons and also for do it yourself projects where you don't need skilled trades.

I'll post some picture once its done for before and after.
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:47 AM   #44
Chelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by shocksystems
I too like the idea of using OSB on the walls and the one done with rabbit edges looked particularly sharp.

I too though am concerned about the fire hazard. Is fire retardant paint widely available? Does it work? Is it expensive?

Cheers!

Jim

Do you have pics?
Chelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:37 PM   #45
dixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixie

Here's a picture of mine that I did in OSB years ago and white paint. Looks cheap though and always regreted it with the paint pealing off and repainted it a few times over the years.

I've decided to redo it all with grey magnesiacore which was noted in another thread on the forum without removing the old OSB. I will use 1/4", panel adhesive and surface mounted screws.

This is the site www.magnesiacore.com for the stuff. I think its the perfect "garage wallboard" for many reasons and also for do it yourself projects where you don't need skilled trades.

I'll post some picture once its done for before and after.
Saw an update on their site about using a nail gun. I have small samples and tried nailing one to a 2 x 4 with my nail gun (small home compressor version - not a pro gun) but it worked perfectly. Holds better than drywall and screws when I only used fine finishing nails. I tried pulling the nails out but they are wedged in the board so strong they won't come out. I am changing to nail gun over screws since there is nothing to fill but a small slit as big as this dash "-"... no screw heads.
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:46 PM   #46
curlyws6

I just saw this thread.... our weekend project is hanging OSB for the ceiling in the floor level of my garage. We bought all the OSB for the job a few weeks ago when Lowes was selling it for $4.96 a sheet (every bit of savings helps ). We (my wife and I) painted all 24 sheets on the ground (one coat of Kilz primer with stainblocker and two coats of semigloss latex). We figured it would be much easier than painting overhead after they were hung. The 4'x8' OSB will be screwed into place and we are going to run strips between the sheets to hide the seam. My builder told me that he had just finished a garage using OSB with lattice strips to cover the seams and said it turned out really good. Hopefully I will have some pictures of a completed ceiling (or at least most of it).

On a side note, I have been told they make a frame with a jack on it that can be used to lift sheets into place.... often used by drywall installers. What do you call the jack for lifting sheets into place? I need to see if I can rent one for the weekend!
curlyws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:43 PM   #47
Itzkwik

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyws6
On a side note, I have been told they make a frame with a jack on it that can be used to lift sheets into place.... often used by drywall installers. What do you call the jack for lifting sheets into place? I need to see if I can rent one for the weekend!
A drywall lift.
Itzkwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:50 AM   #48
curlyws6

I was hoping there would be a more complex name than that .

Thanks! Now I won't feel dumb calling around and asking if any of the local rental places have one.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:24 AM   #49
Itzkwik

How about Manually Operated Gypsum Board Lifting Mechanism?
I think HD rents them for about $45 a day.
Itzkwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:23 PM   #50
curlyws6

That sounds better! I've not had a chance to call today.... can you believe that since I'm at work, I actually had to do some work while I was here HAHAHA! I'll be calling around some in the next few minutes though.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:08 PM   #51
Dave88LX

Send a message via AIM to Dave88LX Send a message via Yahoo to Dave88LX

When I went house shopping, I found some morons used this stuff on the INTERIOR of the house as actual walls, and painted over it. Unreal.
Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 04:49 PM   #52
Tex Arcana

I do'nt think I would use OSB for interior shop walls. I'm in the process of building an addition with a 30x50 shop, and half the interior now is skinned with ordinary plywood, 1/2", and the wood grain looks great; I'm planning on finishing it out with 3/8" plywood as well. If I decide to paint it, I'm not sure what I'll do, but I'll come up with something. I'll post pics later.
Tex Arcana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:06 PM   #53
Steve in Mi

Dave88LX, if you're referring to OSB it doesn't surprise me. Some folks like the look of it, painted or unpainted. It doesn't make them morons. In this very thread some have expressed using it as decorative accents. I think it is Grant that makes a furniture grade OSB maybe others too. When looking for design specs. on OSB at least one site showed a few pieces of furniture in natural OSB with a high gloss clear finish. Living room furniture no less. Peoples taste may vary and I think that can be a good thing.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:44 PM   #54
Dave88LX

Send a message via AIM to Dave88LX Send a message via Yahoo to Dave88LX

I see what you are saying, I guess you would have to see the rest of the house...it certainly wasn't a "design accent", it was definitely just cheap workmanship IMO. Half the walls looked like regular drywall, some were painted OSB, no rhyme or reason...don't even get me started on the bathrooms.
Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 07:26 PM   #55
IDASHO

The living room interior walls in the home I just purchased is finished using T1-11 siding

Honestly though, I kind of like it. And it surely makes the house hell-for-stout! And you can drive a nail or screw anywhere.

IDASHO is offline   Reply With Quote