Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2010, 01:33 AM   #1
Danglerb

Default Best price on Auto Enginuity Total Ford bundle?

I'm not getting any results with the usual price searches, and general Googling points to asking Auto Enginuity through their ebay listing, or one of the Diesel discount online places. List price for PC software, USB OBDII thing, and the Ford expansion as a bundle is $399, and so far I've seen $359 and free shipping.

Wife's 1999 Lincoln wouldn't start (cranks fine, doesn't fire) for about an hour the other morning, then later on the second crank started and has run fine since (zero to check via conventional troubleshooting with it working again). I maybe need to pull the trigger on this very soon before she sends it off to the dealer etc.
Danglerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
TheGrooveking

Default Re: Best price on Auto Enginuity Total Ford bundle?

Check the battery cables/connections, clean & tighten them is where I would start.

TheGrooveking
TheGrooveking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #3
Danglerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrooveking View Post
Check the battery cables/connections, clean & tighten them is where I would start.

TheGrooveking
Cranks fine, battery connections look fine (uses an electrical looking clamp). I did reseat and/or wiggle some fuses and relays, and I am thinking to actually pull and smell all of them.

If I have the Total Ford package on a laptop, extremely likely if it happens again I will be able to pinpoint the trouble. If I don't have it, I "might" be able to see the problem with the cheapo OBDII PC scanner I have now, or I might not and would have to flatbed the car to the shop, where it just might freaking start and make the whole thing a total waste of time, and cost about the same as the Total Ford bundle. I'm pretty set on just buying it, only looking for cheapest vendor for now.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
scott37300

I bought mine about 4 years ago from this place http://www.sinisterdiesel.com/store..../Autoenginuity. At the time it was the best price I found and where all the guys at fordtrucks recomended.

Awesome program!
scott37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #5
Danglerb

So far $359 shipped with no tax is the best I have found. Now to twist over it a day or so.

There used to be a decent shareware OBDII software package, but looks like it may be history.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:50 AM   #6
Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott37300 View Post
I bought mine about 4 years ago from this place http://www.sinisterdiesel.com/store..../Autoenginuity. At the time it was the best price I found and where all the guys at fordtrucks recomended.

Awesome program!
The best prices for any autoenginuity package can be found here...
www.autoenginuityscantool.com
I looked all over the net to find this guy ...
I got a complete package for an insane price and it works just great > Free updates for a year and future updates are insanely low ! I am so glad I found this site since I really cant afford the list prices for AE. This guy is a real tech who uses the tool daily and answer calls anytime about the useage of the tool. Hows that for support. My best friend purchased from another site and hes been helped out with how to properly get the the electronic throttle control reinitialized on his Nissan which several AE methods were given to him By AE's own support that just didnt work for him. He will also advise on other possible needed tools depending on what you guys really need and wont try to jam AE down your throat if its not what your looking for.
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #7
Danglerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglerb View Post

Wife's 1999 Lincoln wouldn't start (cranks fine, doesn't fire) for about an hour the other morning, then later on the second crank started and has run fine since (zero to check via conventional troubleshooting with it working again). I maybe need to pull the trigger on this very soon before she sends it off to the dealer etc.
Turned out to be a known issue, the fuel pump control module (regulates voltage to the fuel pump to set fuel pressure) when cold can have intermittent failures. Once again shotgun parts swapping ($$$) saves the day.

BTW back in my old thread because I am finally ready almost to buy and I am checking current prices again.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
RangerDaleXp

I bought mine at ITP which merged with Sinister at some point. It was $359.95 plus 19.39 shipping back in March 2010. The new Ford bundle now does the Ford 6.0 Diesel Cylinder Balance test as well now.....
RangerDaleXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:07 AM   #9
Danglerb

I'm finding mostly 10% off, which is $359.95, but with free shipping on version 9.1.

I meant to call AE today and ask if all the current bundles includes the new pro line hardware, but didn't remember until now, Monday I guess.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:28 AM   #10
scott37300

Just a heads up with AE, gaurd the OBDII cable with your life. If it gets stolen or gets lost you are out everything, have to buy everything over agin including the ford bundles. My cable went missing, not sure if someone snagged it or if it just got lost or what. Called AE and they told me had to start over and nothing they could do. I thought it was a little funny I had to pay full price for the cable, basically you are paying 3xx.xx for the cable and the software is free. Also would have had to buy the ford bundle again, which I thought was a little silly since they can see I already paid for it once but they didn't really care.

Not really putting down AE because they have a nice scanner for a decent price but just make sure that cord is kept safe!
Old 09-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #11
Danglerb

When you say cable you mean the adapter that plugs into the OBDII?

Yup, that is the "key" that unlocks the software package, or maybe its the lock. I personally see it as a MAJOR knock against AE because it locks you into their bit of hardware and the they aren't exactly working hard to make it the best adapter around.

Plus even though the software is locked to only one and only their adapter, you can't use the software on more than one type of device. If you buy the laptop version and your laptop croaks, you can't use it with a Palm or some other PDA without buying the whole package again.

On the good side, buy it, use it, change your mind and they seem to sell pretty fast at not much of a loss, like just under $300 for a bundle, and I've seen VERY few offered for sale.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:45 PM   #12
Jeeper

Quote:
I'm finding mostly 10% off, which is $359.95, but with free shipping on version 9.1.

I meant to call AE today and ask if all the current bundles includes the new pro line hardware, but didn't remember until now, Monday I guess.
Where did you find that price?
Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #13
scott37300

Quote:
When you say cable you mean the adapter that plugs into the OBDII?

Yup, that is the "key" that unlocks the software package, or maybe its the lock. I personally see it as a MAJOR knock against AE because it locks you into their bit of hardware and the they aren't exactly working hard to make it the best adapter around.

Plus even though the software is locked to only one and only their adapter, you can't use the software on more than one type of device. If you buy the laptop version and your laptop croaks, you can't use it with a Palm or some other PDA without buying the whole package again.

On the good side, buy it, use it, change your mind and they seem to sell pretty fast at not much of a loss, like just under $300 for a bundle, and I've seen VERY few offered for sale.
Yes, the OBDII cable/adaptor. It is the one downfall to AE. If something happens to that cable you are screwed and as I found out there is NOTHING AE will do for you besides tell you to buy a new one. Any enhanced packages(ford, chevy, chrysler, etc.) you bought are also lost. So if you buy the complete domestic package and something happens to your cable you are out lots of money. In my opinion their customer service sucks, they treated me like I was trying to steal something from them. I told them my cable was MIA and they said the only option was to "start over" buying everything new. I was willing to pay a fair price for a new cable but didn't expect to have to buy everything again. Including the ford bundle, couldn't understand why even if I bought a new "starter" kit with the cable and basic software that I would have to buy the ford enhanced also. Even though they had it on record I already bought the software once.

With AE you buy the cable and get free software. Something happens to that cable and you are out everything.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #14
Danglerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
Where did you find that price?
Google shopping autoenginuity sp03

sort lowest to highest and first 4 are within 10 cents of $359.95 shipped free.

Riffraff diesel was $359.89 shipped free to 48 states.
http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/mm5/me...duct_Code=SP03