Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
Sarki

Default Sealed Combustion Heater or Not

Been doing some research on propane heaters such as the ceiling mounted hang down units by Modine & Reznor. I'm leaning toward Reznor as they seem to make a very high quality heater with very few problems.
I've got a 26' x 32' garage with 12' ceiling. I use the garage for some wood working as well as wrenching. That means some saw dust, paint fumes and other solvents.....not that often but on ocassion.
I've been told I should go with a sealed combustion unit. Those bad boys cost 2X as much and the duct work is also quite expensive. Reznor's UDAS units have sealed combustion while their UDAP units are not. The sealed are about $1,300 while the non-sealed are about $600.
Anybody have some thoughts on this. Obviously I'd rather not blow myself and my newly built garage into the heavens!
Sarki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:06 PM   #2
JC23

Default Re: Sealed Combustion Heater or Not

You heading in the right direction. Any fumes or dust will get sucked in and burtn and that includes paint and fuel. If you're in a heating situation, that is, doors closed, no circulation of air, it will go thru the heater.
JC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-20-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
thammel

I just won a new Reznor Udas 60k btu heater on ebay for $1080 which is about $200 less than the cheapest I've seen on line. There may be some other sizes of the UDAS units available.

Tom
thammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:50 AM   #4
Hlidskjalf

Sealed combustion, hands down! I have shut down many boilers due to people using the room as a wood working area.
Hlidskjalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:28 AM   #5
trythis

I went sealed with a Radiant tube heater and not having to worry about using anything corrosive, or fumes with petroleum distillates, wood dust is very comforting. It is really cheap and easy to add afresh air intake for radiant tube. It adds maybe $50.00
trythis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #6
Sarki

Thanks for the good advice from those that commented......greatly appreciated. Your thoughts convinced me the extra $$ will be well spent.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
Sarki

Quote:
Originally Posted by thammel View Post
I just won a new Reznor Udas 60k btu heater on ebay for $1080 which is about $200 less than the cheapest I've seen on line. There may be some other sizes of the UDAS units available.

Tom
Hey Tom, which ebay seller did you buy from. What is the size of the area you are heating (insulated or not) and how cold are your winters as I'm trying to decide between a 45K & 60K unit. My winters are pretty cold as I'm in NY.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
bill9860

Didn't even think twice about it when I got my Hot Dawg - separated combustion
bill9860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
jumpingryan

Send a message via MSN to jumpingryan

Check out the Sterling Garage Guy heater. It costs about as much the lower end heaters, and by design has a separated combustion option.
jumpingryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:09 AM   #10
ovilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingryan View Post
Check out the Sterling Garage Guy heater. It costs about as much the lower end heaters, and by design has a separated combustion option.
Has anybody ever used one of these? I have yet to find one install but agree that the price is very appealing to me too.
ovilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 04:42 AM   #11
hottbodyz

I just ordered a Sterling Garage Guy 45K with the seperated combustion and all the duct work and chimney cap set up for under $800 delivered! So we'll see. It just arrived thursday.The company was super fast on the shipping.I ordered Monday and got it all on thursday.http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/acce...heaters4.shtml

As soon as my plumber gets my gas line hooked up we'll get it going.
If you search the forum there is someone that has one of these that has had good luck with it.They also have a few pics of it installed.
hottbodyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:14 PM   #12
thammel

My area is 32 x 28 with 12' ceilings. There is also a 32 x 12 attic with 7' ceilings. The area is (will be!) fully insulated at r19 and r30+. I'm in MD near PA so it can get cold but I would say it's moderately cold. ebay seller - I'll have to get back on that.

Tom
thammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:08 PM   #13
rwhite692

Sealed with external exhaust all the way...I have a 50KBTU SunStar radiant tube (20 foot) that I am only now just starting to use as the weather is starting to turn chilly.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16310
rwhite692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:37 AM   #14
trythis

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhite692 View Post
Sealed with external exhaust all the way...I have a 50KBTU SunStar radiant tube (20 foot) that I am only now just starting to use as the weather is starting to turn chilly.
Where is the intake on that sunstar? My "Re Verber Ray" tube heater intake is on the back of the unit next to where your gas line is.
trythis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #15
rwhite692

Quote:
Originally Posted by trythis View Post
Where is the intake on that sunstar? My "Re Verber Ray" tube heater intake is on the back of the unit next to where your gas line is.
The intake is at the combustion end (left end of the heater, in the pics) The enclosure box has a sort of "grille" on it (I don't have a pic).

The draft inducer (squirrel-cage blower) is at the opposite end.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16310
rwhite692 is offline   Reply With Quote