Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
Shadowdog500

Default Anyone here use tractor supply parts washer solvent?

I did a search and read a lot about the different solvents people try but I haven't seen any posts of people using the stuff from tractor supply. It is Crown PSC-1000.

If anyone here uses it, how does it work, and does it smell decent? Etc.

Thanks,

Chris
Shadowdog500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
MMW

Default Re: Anyone here use tractor supply parts washer solvent?

I use it , it has a slight odor at first and then it seems that the odor goes away.
Cleans good.
MMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
Bender78

I think it's good stuff - de-greases well, not too strong a smell, minimal residue. Performs just like mineral spirits for less money.
Bender78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
BlindViper

To me its identical to the zep dyna blue it replaced. Very good for the price.
BlindViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
Venumb

How much are they asking per gal? I have new parts washer that's been sitting empty for a few months while I try to find an affordable solvent that isn't to wicked on smell and lower flammabilty.
Venumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
Buckgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venumb View Post
How much are they asking per gal? I have new parts washer that's been sitting empty for a few months while I try to find an affordable solvent that isn't to wicked on smell and lower flammabilty.
I paid between 32-40 for 5 gallons a few years ago. Stuff works good for me.
Buckgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
John Timmins

I use it and like it. I don't have a parts washer.

Most things I clean will fit in a 2 gallon cook pot. I put about 2 quarts of that liquid in, add the parts, and use a paint brush on the parts.

I soak things sometimes and put the lib on. It does not evaporate and I don't smell it.

For larger stuff I'd recommend people go buy a Rubbermaid box and lid. Pour anything you want in it and add the parts, scrub them , let them soak and put the lid on - no smell.

If the rubbermaid box gets beat up just toss it out.

I would buy a parts washer if I had the room and the need. The cheapo parts washers can cost $150 to fill with solution. My friend told me at his business the Safety-Klean guy comes and changes out his solution for $175 eash visit !
John Timmins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
JCQuick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindViper View Post
To me its identical to the zep dyna blue it replaced. Very good for the price.
Thats good to know I like that stuff. i just bought some zep ID clean. it does a good job and i think I paid about $38 for 5 gals
JCQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
Shadowdog500

Slight change of gears here.

I called Safety Kleen on Monday and when they didn't call me back for a couple days I figured that the rumors I heard of them not selling to the public were true, so I started looking at other options. The Safety Kleen guy actually called me this afternoon, and told me I could buy the stuff and that their driver could drop it off at my residence COD next time his route takes him past my house.(He passes my house once a week)

The price is $6.95 a gallon to buy or like $12 or $13 a gallon(cant remember) if he takes the old dirty fluid away. I checked with my municipal authority and confirmed that I can dispose of 50 gallons of solvent a year at no charge, so I may go with the $6.95 a gallon safety Kleen.

After the call I checked the MSDS for both fluids, and they both appear to be roughly the same thing. Now I'm a little torn. because both seem really good.

The safety Kleen is actually a little cheaper.

Chris

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 10-27-2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #10
wbclassics

We had Safety Kleen service my shop for years... every year the contract price would go up and I got fed up.

When we added a second manual parts washer I filled it with the Crown PCS1000 from TSC. Think I paid $30-$35 (always use the $5off$25 coupon on their website). I like it better than what we had from Safety Kleen. The Safety Kleen stuff we had was one of their recycled products, the typical stuff they sell to everyone. The PCS is virgin as far as I can tell and does a much better job cleaning, leaves less residue than what we had from Safety Kleen... BUT the downside to less residue, the PCS1000 cleaned parts definitely seem slightly more susceptible to flash rusting. Might not be an issue if you use the parts you just cleaned the same day or next, but if it sits a week or two, then beware.

So once I was satisfied that the PCS1000 worked as well in the new manual parts washer, I let my Safety Kleen contract run out and went with PCS1000 in the other unit as well. We do not do any maintenance work in our shop, so we run our solvent for quite some time as most of the parts that go through the manual parts cleaners already tend to be fairly free of dirt. On the odd occasion we do get something truly nasty that has to be manually cleaned rather than run through the spray cabinet, as much of the goop is scraped / wire brushed off prior to hitting the solvent tank.
wbclassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:58 PM   #11
AJ1978

Glad I found this thread. I was determining my purchase based on odor, I know it sounds foolish, but just want to eliminate as much as possible. The TSC has the fluid in stock and it 39.99 for 5 gal. I am also waiting for the safety kleen guy to call me back. I do auto repair, and traditionally used mineral spirits, but my supply ran out after 10 years. PSC 1000 seems the way to go
AJ1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #12
Shadowdog500

I tried to go with safety clean but for some reason the order from last week wasn't processed and I would have to wait another week for my solvent. I cancelled the order and bought 15 gallons from tractor supply. The smell is mild but pleasent and is about the same as Safet Kleen. My wife didn't even notice the smell, and funky smells bother her.

The instruction manual for the 20 gallon portable parts washer from TS said it uses 12 gallons so I bought 15. It only took about 8 gallons when I upped it up to the shelf level so I will be bringing one can back.

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 11-04-2010 at 02:38 PM.