Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
mulepackin

Default SK Truck

I've seen it referred to on a few other posts. Does SK now have a mobile service? Has it been around long and I'm just not aware of it, or is it a new thing. It wouldn't surprise me we don't see them around here. We do have of course Snap-On, Mac, Matco, and used to see a Cornwell truck occ. but not lately. Maybe I should look into a franchise for myself.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:30 AM   #2
dink

Send a message via Skype™ to dink
Default Re: SK Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulepackin
I've seen it referred to on a few other posts. Does SK now have a mobile service? Has it been around long and I'm just not aware of it, or is it a new thing. It wouldn't surprise me we don't see them around here. We do have of course Snap-On, Mac, Matco, and used to see a Cornwell truck occ. but not lately. Maybe I should look into a franchise for myself.

They have been around awhile but EXTREMELY rare.....I believe there is one here in the DFW area....based on there website
dink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-16-2007, 01:22 PM   #3
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

They do exist. Around here they are about as frequent as the Cornwell guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran View Post
Why bother? Natural selection will take care of them. If it doesn't, a 12-gauge can take care of the unnatural selection...
eschoendorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 03:48 PM   #4
wilbilt
Banned

My old Matco dealer became an S•K dealer. He kept the same truck, just a new paint job and graphics.

I have seen more UFOs than Cornwell trucks, though....
wilbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:03 PM   #5
Deafautotech

i had never seen cornwell truck around in indianapolis... but i see lot of snap on dealers around indianapolis same with mac tools. but i am stick with my snap on guy and craftsman for tools.
Deafautotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 08:53 PM   #6
ImportTuner

I've never seen either a SK truck or a Cornwell truck; that's why I was hoping that someone would post a Cornwell flyer .. I did get Cornwell to send me a catalog though ...
ImportTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:06 PM   #7
justinmc

Send a message via AIM to justinmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportTuner
I've never seen either a SK truck or a Cornwell truck; that's why I was hoping that someone would post a Cornwell flyer .. I did get Cornwell to send me a catalog though ...
There are a couple around here.. I've actually got some Cornwell stuff I need warrantied. The current guy doesn't come near the shop where I get all my snap-on, matco, mac stuff through though. I probably just need to call their # and track down the local guys #. They have some decent stuff. Cornwell is also a little more "up front" about the stuff that they have rebadged. Their part #'s are usually manufacturer prefixes, etc. I've got a few of their ratchets and a set of torx/e-torx sockets and I like em. I also have a set of their prybars.. as nice as any snap-on prybar I've picked up.
justinmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:18 PM   #8
Deafautotech

i did saw S-K tool truck but it is very old and small.... i think some of techs dont like s-k hand tools as i did bought some of s-k sockets that it is cheap than buy snap on or craftsman (it dont have right size socket that i want as 6pts and 3/4dr) .

but i was surprised that s-k impact sockets are pretty thicker than any tool truck and it is damn heavy than other sockets...
Old 02-16-2007, 11:57 PM   #9
kartracer55

I recently discovered an SK truck in my area. Go on thier site, and look up your state. You will get a list of all SK dealers, and there will be a little truck next to mobile dealers. This guy is an independant "part time" dealer, who is a mechanic the rest of the time. Pretty cool that he gets all his tools at cost haha.

Jim

http://www.frappr.com/garagejunkies
kartracer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:02 AM   #10
Deafautotech

that is interesting..... but i found that s-k would not warranty if it is abuse as hammer on socket or use on impact wrench.......
Old 02-17-2007, 12:08 AM   #11
kartracer55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deafautotech
that is interesting..... but i found that s-k would not warranty if it is abuse as hammer on socket or use on impact wrench.......

So I have heard. My SK stuff is just too damn nice to impact lol

Old 02-17-2007, 12:11 AM   #12
Deafautotech

i am using lot of my impact sockets than chrome sockets.... because i use it on air tools too much.... but when i put it together as i use torque wrench.... i did used my chrome sockets few time where impact wrench wont fit or air tool cant get in where i want to....
Old 02-17-2007, 04:11 AM   #13
toolfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer55
So I have heard. My SK stuff is just too damn nice to impact lol
IIRC, you have said before that you used chrome Matco on an impact but SK is too nice.
toolfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:11 AM   #14
-lecroix-
Banned

I went to the site and looked up mobile dealers in my area ... imagine my surprise to find 5!

I have never even seen 1.
-lecroix- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:29 AM   #15
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by -lecroix-
I went to the site and looked up mobile dealers in my area ... imagine my surprise to find 5!

I have never even seen 1.
Yeah, I got about 5 mobile dealers in my area too. But, after seeing the companies that are the mobile dealer, I'm betting that the trucks have the independent company logo - not SK's logo plastered all over them. I've probably seen the truck and just have not recognized them the same way that I would recognize a Snap On truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran View Post
Why bother? Natural selection will take care of them. If it doesn't, a 12-gauge can take care of the unnatural selection...
eschoendorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:12 PM   #16
chevy302dz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deafautotech
No tool company officaly warrenties abuse,especially if going through corprate.
chevy302dz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:25 AM   #17
Tim G

My Cornwell guy got booted by Cornwell corporate,20 plus years with the company,and a 2 week notice that he was out!
Reasoning was,for his territory,wasn't selling enough tools,they would split/sell the route for 2 dealers,and make tons of money!
He owns the truck,doesn't have a big mortgage,so got in with SK as a dealer,but didn't have the truck lettered as SK, figuring he was didn't want to have people stopping him on the street for warrantees...
That said,I've NEVER had a problem w/ an SK warranty,and I have seen him do them for people off the street,you just have to know he does SK....
Havn't seen another Cornwell truck at work,been 3 years,Snap on/Mac/Matco doesn't bother to stop unless you'll buy a couple grand in tools in one shot,so most of my stuff is SK.
Tim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:40 PM   #18
kartracer55

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfreak
IIRC, you have said before that you used chrome Matco on an impact but SK is too nice.

It was a sort of joke, I was talking about the finish and how they look like jewlery. I have SK sockets at HOME that look practically new. I impact matco chromes at work.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #19
Duarte

Apologies for resurrecting an almost 7 year old thread, but today I saw an SK tool truck. I am not sure it is an active dealer, or just an old truck. The current SK website doesn't list any mobile dealer in my area. The truck also had Facom markings, so I suspect it was an old truck from the SK/ Facom days that has never been repainted? It was a curious sight.
Duarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #20
Brownsfan

Where? We have one in Cleveland and some suburbs. It's a company called USA tools. He is a SK dealer as well as gearwrench and others.
Brownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote