Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
jake26

Default Drywall walls or ceiling first?

Does it matter?

The reason I am asking is because I am looking to build storage soffits tight to the ceiling with down lighting. I had planned on using drywall for the top and back of the inside of the soffits but that will make building and wiring more difficult with the walls drywalled. An option would be to use plywood for the inside top and bottom. What do you boys think?

Sorry to be so confusing but this is my first real construction project so I have allot of beginner questions.

Thanks!!
jake26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #2
HarleyArley

Default Re: Drywall walls or ceiling first?

Typically you do the ceiling first so the wall helps hold up the edge of ceiling. However, its not critical and will work in the opposite order.
HarleyArley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-05-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
AMCguy

Generally, when sheeting in a room, the ceiling is done first. The wall boards are then installed up to the ceiling boards. You can also apply the wall boards first but leave them about 9/16'' from the top. Then you can lend yourself a helping hand by setting the ceiling boards on top of the wall boards. This helps when you are working alone.

Personally, I would drywall and finish the space and then instal whatever cabinetry.
AMCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
shotgunfatcat

You normally start with the ceiling as mentioned above. You can get a little lever for the walls. It butts it up to the ceiling tight, and the crack along the bottom is covered up by the baseboard.
Alright you Primitive Screwheads, listen up! You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?
shotgunfatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
jake26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCguy View Post
Personally, I would drywall and finish the space and then instal whatever cabinetry.
So I would do all the insulation, plumbing and electric, then drywall and then do soffits? I was planning on attaching the soffits to the joists. Now that I think about it, I could leave the screws showing so I know where the wood is and leave electrical whip out to run into the soffits.

Thanks!!
jake26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
lupinsea

Depends on how you plan to make the soffits.

Are the soffits going to be framed out of 2x lumber (2x3's or 2x4's?). If yes, then frame them up, run your wiring, plumbing, insulation, then sheet rock everything. If you make the bottom of the soffits out of 2x6's I think that might give you enough room for some recessed down lights. I think. If you find the right ones.

If the soffits are going to be built like cabinet boxes then do the sheetrock work first. Then install the soffits. Or sheet rock up to the bottom of where the soffits will go.

Another option for the under-soffit lighting is a track light setup. They have some very nice options these days and the track light would give you a lot of flexibility in terms of lighting position. This could be installed under either soffit setup.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
m.james

I would go ceiling first then the walls so that the ceiling corners are perfect looking.
m.james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
e-tek

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.james View Post
I would go ceiling first then the walls so that the ceiling corners are perfect looking.
D'OH! That's a good reason right there!!
e-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
malibu101

Many good, solid reasons given above.
Let me add that doing the walls first subjects them to possible damage from having the ceiling sheets hitting and gouging the wall on the way up and while being positioned..
malibu101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #10
Harleyguy

If your local home depot store has a rental department you might want to get a drywall lift to lift and position your sheetrock to the ceiling joists. A definite back saver.
Harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote