Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
dtjordan

Default Portable Paint Booth

I'd like to see if anyone else has created a portable paint booth. I paint from time to time, not frequent enough to have a dedicated paint booth so I've had to make due with using poly on many of my paint jobs. I've found that with today's finishes it's not that big of a deal since most of the jobs are cut and buffed anyway. The booth does help keep the dust down both in the booth and probably more importantly out of the shop. So here goes now there will be no doubt in anyone's mind at how a real hillbilly paints cars in his garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5146.JPG (72.2 KB, 433 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5149_1.JPG (64.7 KB, 414 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5150_1.JPG (63.1 KB, 400 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5153.JPG (83.4 KB, 449 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5155.JPG (76.8 KB, 430 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5157_1.JPG (49.0 KB, 434 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5158.JPG (36.1 KB, 412 views)
dtjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
dtjordan

Default Re: Portable Paint Booth

Here are a few more of the pic's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5159_1.JPG (41.6 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5160_1.JPG (34.6 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5161_1.JPG (30.2 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5162_1.JPG (47.1 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5165.JPG (67.0 KB, 432 views)
Old 11-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
Wanna Ride

Absolutely frigging ingenious. That will definitely get the job done!
Wanna Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
Shadowdog500

I like it!!

What did you use for the hoops. Greenhouse hoops?

Thanks,

Chris
Shadowdog500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:36 PM   #5

Do you have any problem with static ? What about the fan setup ?
1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
tool whore
Banned

You clearly dont need our help. That is awesome and I plan on plagarizing your idea very soon. Post some pics once you start up the sprayer please. We are going to need some detailed specs from you. How did you make the clips to fit and what type of conduit are you using? Lengths, sizes, etc.
tool whore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
dtjordan

I found that the cheapest method was to use pvc conduit. If you go that route then you get a free coupler on each end of the pipe. I used two 10' sections with one 5' section in the middle. It's a little flimsy so you will see that I ran a 1x down the center and attached it to the wall of the shop. I also added 4-2" stripes of plywood to the corners to help stiffen up the end walls. It takes about 2 hrs to set up.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #8
dtjordan

The clips are just made by taking another piece of pvc and cutting it about 4" long. Then cut out one side and here is the trick to making it work without tearing the plastic, sand the outside corner so they are rounded. It doesn't take much clamping force to hold the poly in place so don't make it so tight that it tears the plastic when you snap them in place.

I also found the zipper at home depot for about $10, and it makes all the difference for getting in and out of the booth.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:56 PM   #9
dtjordan

I haven't found the static to be a problem, in fact it more that likley helps keep the booth a little cleaner because the dust does tend to stick to the poly. I didn't have the fan installed in these photo's and the booth is down now. I haven't painted in this one yet but I plan to add a fan by making a 2x2 frame that will be attached to the wood cross arms. It will house a box fan that will be ducted out the main door. On the other end of the booth I will tape a couple of furnace filters to keep the walls from being sucked in when the fan is running.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:37 PM   #10
akdiesel
Alliance Member

Great job. I am doing the same thing but out of unistrut for support to hang items as well.
I just purchesed one of those mini blowers that has the heater on it as well so it should help with cureing.
It is amazing how much they wont for those paint booths and they can't be torn down for the most part.
akdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #11
PECVD2

dtjordan, I stole that idea from someone (maybe you) over at HAMB. works great. I use poly over my festival canopy frame.

PECVD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:32 AM   #12
evintho

I like it! Very ingenius! Here's one I thought was way cool. I don't remember but I might've got it off of GJ.

evintho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #13
AussieDan

That is super slick!
AussieDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #14
strelnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtjordan View Post
I'd like to see if anyone else has created a portable paint booth. I paint from time to time, not frequent enough to have a dedicated paint booth so I've had to make due with using poly on many of my paint jobs. I've found that with today's finishes it's not that big of a deal since most of the jobs are cut and buffed anyway. The booth does help keep the dust down both in the booth and probably more importantly out of the shop. So here goes now there will be no doubt in anyone's mind at how a real hillbilly paints cars in his garage.
hillbilly, shmill billy, it's ingenious, its cheap, it works!
TERRIFIC!

Now I have to figure out how to plan mine!
strelnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #15
FrankLee

Location: Plombudsman of seMI. I collect and use Plomb tools.

Damn you guys! Now I have something else to build!
FrankLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:57 PM   #16
wornoutoldman

Thank you both! That's some great stuff there!

If you can't get out of it. Get into it!

Wanna keep track of all your vehicles maintenance? Click here!
wornoutoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #17
JCQuick

yeah that 2nd one is cool very good idea
JCQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #18
gordsgarage

All are awesome ideas, wish I knew about the 2nd design before I built my garage.

Gord
gordsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #19
GTO

I really don't know much about painting or paint booths but,wouldn't be easier to use a HVLP unit for painting cars in a garage ?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #20
bb1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I really don't know much about painting or paint booths but,wouldn't be easier to use a HVLP unit for painting cars in a garage ?
You still have overspray with HVLP guns. And the more contaminants you can avoid the better.
I think both these set-ups are great. Good job.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #21
moopa

Not used for a paint booth yet...it's my sandblasting tent(Costco Portable Garage) But once I clean it out, I plan on some painting in there...maybe not a whole car, but some bigger parts at least.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2812.JPG (48.3 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2827.JPG (55.4 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2829.JPG (59.1 KB, 110 views)
Old 11-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #22
Harley Monster

Evin Tho,

I think your paint booth design is great! I would like to know what you use for lighting as I don't see any lights in the booth area.

Also how are you ventilating it? I see the vent on the back wall and the one on the sliding wall...is the one on the back wall a fan and the other filtered air?

Thanks.

To the others interest in building a booth:

I hope all you guys making your own booths ALSO invest in a good supplied air system to protect their health.

The isocyanates in the catalyzed paints can sensitize you then once sensitized the next exposure can kill you...nothing to mess around with. The problem is you don't know how long it will take to become sensitized to the Isocyanates, there is no warning. It can occur after a few exposures or after a few years of exposure, there is no predictor.

I spray my own stuff, but invested in a SAS supplied air system. Yes, expensive, but I can't paint or do anything else if I am dead.

If you don't know what I am talking about start researching "Isocyanates" and how they can ruin your health...they are tasteless and odorless and they are also absorbed through the eyes and skin. You should have no exposed skin and wear nitrile gloves, latex offers little or no protection because the molecules are so small they go right through latex and through your skin.

If you spray this stuff you must protect yourself.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but I don't want anyone hurt or killed. This is serious #@$&!
Harley Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:22 AM   #23
evintho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Monster View Post
Evin Tho,

I think your paint booth design is great! I would like to know what you use for lighting as I don't see any lights in the booth area.

Also how are you ventilating it? I see the vent on the back wall and the one on the sliding wall...is the one on the back wall a fan and the other filtered air?

Thanks.

Thanks but it's not my design. I only wish my garage was that big! I found the post on the internet. I thought it was on this forum. It was such an awesome idea, I saved all the pictures.
evintho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:34 AM   #24
Harley Monster

EVIN THO...Well, I guess we will just have to figure out how to put lights in it.

I was thinking on the moveable wall when it is framed boxes could be framed in for two rows of 8' flourescent lights which would end up being flush, same on the hinged wall. That would take care of half the lighting. On the fixed wall, most framed garages have a stem wall so the moveable wall woud not be able to go completely against the outer wall allowing two rows of 8' flourescent lights could go there without holding the moveable wall off too far, the end fixed wall two 8' removeable flourescent lights could be taken down before the wall is moved then put back up after it is moved and the room created. If you are building new garage the end wall lights could be framed into the wall too. I think if the top row of lights were high enough there would be no need for lights in the ceiling or perhaps a flush skylight could be used.

For ventilation one or more filter boxes could be framed high into the moveable wall and/or end wall for intakes then a sparkless fan could be framed low into one of the exterior walls to get the desired downdraft effect.

I also thought compressed air water separator, filter and drier could be mounted on the garage side of the moveable wall with a through-fitting and quick disconnects so once the booth was formed you just connect your air hose on the outside and the line to your spray gun on the inside. Quick disconnects for your supplied air respirator could be done the same way.

This design is brilliant, if anyone knows the source of this booth please post it, I would like to know more about it.

Or if anyone has any ideas on how to improve upon it please post your ideas.
Harley Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #25
meissen

Send a message via AIM to meissen

I love it! That's a lot better but I did a very similar thing at my parent's house. I was painting interior pieces to dye them black instead of gray and the only place I had to use was the basement. It didn't stop the odor of the paint but it kept all the over spray and dust contained.

I took 6 4x6 clear plastic tarps that I found at the local ACE Hardware store and made a ceiling, walls, and floor and had it all taped together except for a little flap. Made a big paint cube in the basement.

My Garage Progress Thread - Michigan Mania Member

Michigan FBody Association
Owner, Administrator
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #26
sberry

Mine rolls up and out of the way, takes about 5 minutes. http://dodconf.swri.org/2003Papers/Thelen.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paint booth lit.JPG (28.0 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg paint booth down.JPG (29.3 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg paint booth end 2.JPG (34.2 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg paint booth half way 2.JPG (42.1 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg paint booth roll.JPG (28.4 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg paint curtain winch.JPG (33.5 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg paint curtains hung.JPG (29.6 KB, 117 views)
sberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #27
e-tek

I use plastic drop sheet curtains and will just say that the hard-wall idea is probably the better of the 2. As soon as you put a decent fan in the plastic booth, you get trouble. Plus the pastic is good for one, MAYBE 2 uses, before it's too dusty, wrecked or contaminated to use again. That walled booth is brilliant.
e-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:26 PM   #28
MP&C

Make sure your exhaust fan provides adequate air flow. In addition to removing the cloud of paint overspray, it also serves to pass air across the painted surface to aid in outgassing the solvents. Not enough air flow and you will be affecting your flash times, or worst case, risking solvent pop.

A possible fan to use that is also approved for hazardous location is a smoke ejector that they use on fire trucks. They do show up for sale on the used market every so often.

Last edited by MP&C; 04-04-2011 at 03:38 PM.
MP&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #29
billcole

I have had these plans for awhile, but have not used them. Maybe someone else could use them.
http://duplicolortv.com/wp-content/u...aint_booth.pdf
billcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #30
CHIBA280

Thumbs up Re: Portable Paint Booth

Quote:
Originally Posted by evintho View Post
I like it! Very ingenius! Here's one I thought was way cool. I don't remember but I might've got it off of GJ.

THAT IS ONE SMART,SLICK,AWSOME,IDEA FOR A PAINTBOOTH. I SURE WILL GIVE THAT A TRY, WOOHOO! FINALLY!!! PEACE!!
CHIBA280 is offline   Reply With Quote