Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
jocephus

Default 30x40 shop stick vs pole

i am building a new shop it is going to be 30x40 i allready have concrete poured i was going to build a pole building but my sub really does not like pole barns so im going to build a stick building i am wondering if anybody has any different ideas on stick buildings other than 2bys on 16" centers a budy of mine had a smaller building built in 10ft sections with laminated posts. any body heard of something like that. oh yea building needs to be 12 ft high.
jocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Abbott

Default Re: 30x40 shop stick vs pole

I like 2x6s for studs if your budget can handle it. 30x40 will be a great size, man you going to be having some fun! Welcome to the forums.

[In voice of Gronk, the caveman] "Uh, tool come from across Big Water. Tool bad. Man bad."
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
larry_g

So does this concrete have any footers around the edge to hold the building up? Where in the world are you? It might make a difference. Give us a bit of history on the slab and was it designed/engineered for a building floor? Need input....

lg
no neat sig line

Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Abbott

Yep, you gotta have footings for a stick built. You can dig them out and pour them after the slab is down if needed.

[In voice of Gronk, the caveman] "Uh, tool come from across Big Water. Tool bad. Man bad."

Last edited by Abbott; 11-10-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
38Chevy454

There will be building code requirements for your area. You might be able to get by with 24 inch centers for your wall studs. It all depends on what your local requirements are, you need to make sure you build in compliance with the codes or your life can become very difficult..

My detached garage project:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=66932

USA made high quality bear claw style latches - cheap:
http://www.hotrodlatches.com
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
Grumpy365

Studs are used, because they are relatively cheap they are easy to work with and THEY WORK.

I looked at metal studs, and was going to use them when i built my house, but they don't make sense. They act like a heat sink, so you have a 2" strip of material that is radiating heat or cold every 16" and when you finally are done looking at all the cost, it is HARD to justify.

I guess there are some laminate materials out there, but the cost I have seen on those is ridiculous as well.

A Building project is going to suck up every dime and every ounce of patience you have, you really need to think hard before taking on something your contractors and your inspector hasn't seen before. You don't want them to be learning on your time.

Good Luck
Old 11-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
dcovey

Just something to think about. When I had my pole barn built, I found out they can build it on top of the slab like a stick built. They use an L bracket bolted to the concrete and post.

Why does your sub division not like pole barns (Home owners association?)?

Like has been said, make sure you check on codes and permits. Believe me I learned the hard and expensive way!!

Dave
Old 11-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #8
SPDMETL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcovey View Post

Why does your sub division not like pole barns (Home owners association?)?

Dave
Ha ! Hahahahahaha ! Snort ! Home Owners Associations exist to make sure you can't do ANYTHING you want to. Who thought these stupid things up,anyway ?
Old 11-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
Zengineer

Outside the box... try using SIP's? Depends if you need the insulation in your climate however.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
Steevo

I went 2x6 studs on 16" centers for my 24x40x12h shop. The 2x6 walls allow R21 insulation batts.

See the build pics here:
http://sdwike.smugmug.com/Other/Stev...03569048_BvqP9
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #11
kb2tha

A method that I have seen used involves using a top and bottom 2 x 6 plate. Use 2 x 4 studs placed 24" oc staggered on the inside edge and the outside edge of the plates. This allows for no thermal loss through the studs, R19 if you are using fiberglass and requires no holes for electrical wiring. Make sure whatever method that you use a treated late against the concrete.
Ken
kb2tha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #12
ishiboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
I went 2x6 studs on 16" centers for my 24x40x12h shop. The 2x6 walls allow R21 insulation batts.

See the build pics here:
http://sdwike.smugmug.com/Other/Stev...03569048_BvqP9
Steve,

Don't mean to threadjack but I see you used the "stab" couplings on your yellow pe... was the plumber okay with them and did you have any issues working with them?
ishiboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocephus View Post
i am building a new shop it is going to be 30x40 i allready have concrete poured i was going to build a pole building but my sub really does not like pole barns so im going to build a stick building i am wondering if anybody has any different ideas on stick buildings other than 2bys on 16" centers a budy of mine had a smaller building built in 10ft sections with laminated posts. any body heard of something like that. oh yea building needs to be 12 ft high.

If you are not limited by Code or HOA BS, I would kick the subcontractor off the project. It is not what he wants to build, it is what you a paying him to build.
243 is offline   Reply With Quote