Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2007, 08:14 PM   #1
cwoodyfly2001

Default Wire size for generator

I am installing a generator for my house as emergency power.. I need to run about 70 feet of wire from one side of my house to the other so that the gen will be away from all bedrooms and behind a locked fence.. Does anyone know what size wire I would need to run? The outlet on the generator is 30amp 220 volt..
Thanks for the help
cwoodyfly2001
cwoodyfly2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:38 PM   #2
Stuart in MN

Default Re: Wire size for generator

A 30 amp circuit requires 10 gauge copper wire.
Stuart in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-21-2007, 11:01 PM   #3
fefarms

10 AWG will carry 30 amps. But the post kind of begs a different question. This sounds like a pretty light duty generator -- 7000 watts or so. it won't run more than a refrigerator and a few lights. Most of these smaller rigs you wouldn't want to leave running while you slept. If the wire will be semi-permanent (vs an extension cord) you might want to step the wire size up to 8 AWG or 6 AWG to allow for a bigger rig in the future.

And please use a proper transfer switch, or a dedicated panel and receptacles, and don't try some stunt like backfeeding your main panel through the electric dryer outlet or some such.

Last edited by fefarms; 02-21-2007 at 11:12 PM.
fefarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:51 AM   #4
cwoodyfly2001

Thanks for the fast reply.. I will be installing a transfer switch next to the current panel.. I work out of town and am trying to set up the house so that my wife and kid can still function w/o me around.. The other reason is that I know of several people in the area that have had there generators running out by the garage or the side of the house, go outside to fill the tank only to find someone has stole it... If I would run a cord down the easy side of the house, and put it behind the fence, it would be running outside my kids window and I am not willing to take the chance with carbon monoxide..
The generator is a 6500 watt so I am hoping for some lights, refrigerator, and the gas furnace..
cwoodyfly2001 is offline   Reply With Quote