Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > Garage Sale > Product and Vendor Reviews

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-14-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
Dwyer77

Default 56" Montezuma Roller Chest, 36" Crossover and Strictly Tool Boxes

I recently purchased a Montezuma 56" roller chest and a 36" Montezuma Crossover top from Shannon at Strictly Tool Boxes and I love them. I am in school to get my degree in heavy duty equipment and diesel technology so I needed a box for the shop. I have only had my box for about a month or so but its really made quite the impression in the shop. Being a tech student I get all kinds of discounts from Snap-On, Mac, Matco, and Cornwell but I decided to get a Montezuma box after all I had heard about them on this website and others, I was not disappointed.

At first I was a little leery of purchasing a box off the internet but everything went smoothly. Shannon and his guys at Strictly Tool Boxes are great to work with. Whenever I had a question I could call him up and get exactly what I needed to know. One thing that I really liked about them was that their hours are from 8:30am to 10pm East coast time, being on the West coast, that meant I didn't have to worry about the time zones as much and calling after hours. The only issue that I had during my purchase wasn't with Strictly Tool Boxes but with Montezuma themselves. When I ordered, the Crossover top was back ordered, apparently they had a run on them and stock was depleted at the warehouse in Kansas. Joe from STB called me up a few hours after I finished putting in my online order to let me know about this. I really appreciated the punctuality in letting me know about the delay.

Having my boxes shipped to me was also a painless procedure. When I ordered I opted for the delivery with lift gate option which was an additional 25 dollars. Since shipping is normally free from STB, I figured 25 bucks wasn't bad to have something freighted cross country, especially since the lift gate option makes the shipper responsible for unloading the item. Both of my boxes came from Montezuma's warehouse in Kansas and as soon as they were sent out I received 2 emails giving me tracking information, instructions on how to inspect for damage, and even a picture of what my boxes looked like when they left the warehouse. I thought that I might have some fly-by-night company shipping my boxes but it was actually Fed-Ex. Both of my boxes arrived dent free and in perfect condition, anyone worried about having their tool boxes shipped to them from Strictly Tool Boxes should know that there no issues with this at all and it is a breeze.

The quality of both of the Montezuma boxes that I own is fantastic. Granted, I have never owned a Snap-On or Matco box but I do go to school in a shop full of them. When I first brought in my 56" box to class everyone was checking it out, most people hadn't heard of Montezuma before but all of them were impressed with the toughness and how sturdy it was as well as overall appearance. The icing on the cake was the price that I paid for my box versus what they paid (or still owe) from the tool trucks. A few of my classmates have Snap-On Classic 78's and one of the biggest comparison they noted was that my box has 6 casters vs 4. Also, on the Montezuma box all the drawers that are over 4" tall have dual slides allowing for more weight capacity. On the Snap-On's that my classmates have, the lower drawers have dual slides but the big drawer on top does not. While its not really a big deal, I liked this advantage because that meant I could put all my sockets and ratchets on top instead of down below where it can be harder to see which sizes are which. The drawer slides themselves are very sturdy and smooth as well, definitely on or above the same quality level as the truck brands. I think that as far as quality level goes this box is just as good or better than Snap-On and definitely better than Matco. I have not yet had a chance to compare it to a Mac or Cornwell box.

I also purchased a 36" Crossover top chest from Montezuma. I have yet to fill it up with tools but the main reason that I bought it was because of the unique usage of the articulating socket peg rack. The quality of this box is outstanding, the sheet metal is very thick and sturdy. When opening the box, the first thing I noticed was the quality of the weather stripping and the struts that keep the lid open, they allowed for very little slop once the lid was all the way open. The coolest part of the chest is definitely the rack of socket pegs. This rack is mounted on gas struts so that it can tilt up allowing for storage underneath. The chest also has an area that has holes in it sized for storing screwdrivers, ratchets, and extensions. I cant wait to get some more tools for my house so I can start filling this chest up and putting it to the full test, I think it will make working on my Jeep in my garage a breeze. Needless to say, the quality and overall appearance of this box make me very optimistic in how it will withstand my usage.

All in all, you cannot go wrong purchasing Montezuma tool boxes from Strictly Tool Boxes. The boxes are some of the highest quality ones on the market today as is the customer service and satisfaction that Strictly Tool Boxes has to offer. I will be using Strictly Tool Boxes again and I would strongly recommend them to anyone who is shopping for a tool box.

I will try to get some pictures up as soon as I can figure out how.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
archirelic

Default Re: 56" Montezuma Roller Chest, 36" Crossover and Strictly Tool Boxes

Just wondering why my prior post was removed? I was in no way inflammatory or derogatory...I just didn't understand why someone was calling his review a 'sham' basically.

And by the way, good review, very well thought-out. I've been contemplating a toolbox purchase and have seriously been considering getting one from strictly toolboxes. I'll just chalk this up to one more positive mark for them.
archirelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
PAToyota

Send a message via AIM to PAToyota

I've been considering the 36" Crossover for awhile now. I think it would suit my needs well. Your review really helps in the decision - very well written - and also confirms who I'll be buying it from. Just have to get the coin together now.
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
Dwyer77

Here are some pics of the 56" in the shop, its full of Mac, Snap-On, and Craftsman right now but the collection is growing. I'll try to get some pictures of the Crossover too.

Sorry for the iPhone quality...

toolbox 4.jpg

toolbox 3.jpg

toolbox 2.jpg

toolbox 1.jpg

Last edited by Dwyer77; 11-16-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Dwyer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
PAToyota

Send a message via AIM to PAToyota

Looks like you're trying to link to images in a GMail account - nothing coming up here.
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
Dwyer77

Sorry for that, I think I have it figured out now... sorry for the delay
Old 11-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #7
mikebramel

looks like a great box.

thanks for the review
mikebramel is offline   Reply With Quote