Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
haugy

Default What to use to vent my pole barn attic after ceiling installed?

I've hit a wall with plans or ideas. I'm going to be putting in a ceiling and insulation in my pole barn.

I have no real soffit vents other than the small ridges in the steel to allow air in. But I have no real way for the air to vent out. There is a small gap at the top of the barn, but it has to be sealed up as it lets rain in if it's windy.

So my choices are:

-Gable vent with a small square ceiling vent
-Gable vent with fan to force air out, and to pull in from the little "soffits"
-Turbine vent
-Cupola, which I don't want to do.

My main problem is putting someting into the roof with those ridges in the steel. I can't get a good flush mount, and am worried about it sealing up properly.

Please help. I know I need to vent some air in there, but I can't think of the best way to do it.
haugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
rodnok1

Default Re: What to use to vent my pole barn attic after ceiling installed?

Do you have overhangs? If you don't want to deal with putting holes in the roof use a gable vent at each end, power one if you want. As for the cap on the roof I have a mesh material that lets air out and no water in, it would be easy enough to install it. They do make specific flashings for metal roofs and seal fine if install correctly. I'm going to install two copulas in the next year myself and put at least one fan in. I like the copula look and can be built fairly cheaply compared to store bought units.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-24-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
Rick98Z

I have also been wondering on what to do with my pole barn. I do have vented soffit all the way around the building with my 1' overhang. Just not sure if it is going to be enough. I had thought about adding non powered gable vents. Haugy you do have the foam pieces that go over the ribs in the metal underneath the ridge cap to seal from water entering in right?
Rick98Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:41 AM   #4
rodnok1

Rick98Z you're in the same boat I am, vented soffits all the way around and ridge venting. I checked the temp with IR thermometer this year and it was 25-40 degrees hotter usually so it definitely needs more air flow. I could feel the heat damming up and working it's way down. I found if I kept the big doors closed it actually stayed cooler until late in the day. I'm hoping two big opening with create a large draw and get rid of the heat.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
haugy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick98Z View Post
Haugy you do have the foam pieces that go over the ribs in the metal underneath the ridge cap to seal from water entering in right?
As I have no idea what you are talking about. I will go with "no". But I'm foaming up that ridge cap.

One side of my barn faces the wind all the time, so I can't put any vents over there otherwise rain will blow in.

So I'm thinking about putting a gable vent on the opposite side, and box shaped roof vent at the higest point on the other side (windward side).

I hope that works.
haugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
gabedad

I am going to have a geobarn built. They use cupolas for venting

www.geobarns.com
gabedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:37 AM   #7
ishiboo

I have a metal roof and it has a ridge vent running about 80% of the top.

In the summer, I stick a box fan in the attic access opening and it blows the heat into the attic (and out the vent) and keeps things a lot cooler, especially when working higher up
ishiboo is offline   Reply With Quote