Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #1
avc8130

Default Setting Up Propane Tanks

Currently there is a 100 gallon tank owned by a nasty propane company in the spot. I plan on telling them to come get it.

I rarely use the heater, but I definitely want it on call when I need it.

I spoke to the HVAC contractor that does my oil burner and is installing my central AC. He said I should have no trouble running the heater with a pair of 100lb tanks.

I see Tractor Supply has tanks on sale this Friday. I need to figure out what regulator and how to link them together. Anyone know what I am looking for? Does Tractor Supply sell what I need?
ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
787B

Default Re: Setting Up Propane Tanks

Before you go commit to those 100 lb tanks, you might ask the nasty propane co how much they would charge to sell you the existing 100 gallon tank. Might be the same or less than the $200 for the 100 pounders. And they might negotiate. Will you have to haul to 100 pounders to a retail filling station? If so I'd probably pay a bit more for the used 100 gallon tank just so I could have it delivered from whichever propane supplier I wanted. YMMV.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
hillbilly1

I installed a propane generator for a cell tower on top of a mountain, Basically a goat trail to get up there, they used 15 BBQ size tanks tied together since getting a propane delivery truck up there was out of the question.
hillbilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
trbomax

The regulation system is different on lb vs gal tanks. A gal tank will have 2 regulaters,a high pressure on the tank,and a low on the building. A lb tank will only have 1 regulater on the tank set that will change the tank over when the pressure drops to a certain level.The lb/single reg system must be close to the building,typically a couple feet,so as to maintain proper vaporization. A gal tank is usually a minimum of 10' (by code) and will vaporize at distances of 100' or so.Bottom line is that when you switch this,the regs and distance from the structure must also be changed.IMO, it would make more sense to look around on cl and buy a 100-250 gal tank,paint it up and then buy your gas where its the cheapest.I just picked up 2-500 gal tanks off cl for $400 ea. $1 per gal or less is a good price,just be sure the asme plate is on it and get a signed bill of sale.An asme tank does not expire and need a retest either,unlike a 100lb tank.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
avc8130

I have been debating this back and forth for over a month.

For some reason used tanks are just not popular in my area. Natural gas and oil FAR outweigh propane as fuel sources. Most people around here have 100# tanks for the convenience of propane cooking stoves to go with their oil heat.

When I spoke to one evil company about owning my own tank they spent more time talking me out of it than trying to sell me one.

My 100 GALLON tank is currently placed RIGHT next to the structure, so I guess there is no minimum for this size tank (I see this allover).

Are the tanks serial numbered? I take it "tank theft" is common?
ac
Old 11-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
trbomax

Yes they are and yes it is.Not so much with the 500's but up here everyone (well almost everyone) has one or more.Lots of forclosures and shorts,so when someone moves out the tank will get grabbed,then show up on cl. The guy I got mine from worked for a gas co and loaded them on my trailer w/ a thermogas boom truck!
Old 11-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
VC-Racing

There are 100 lb cylinders available with a multi valve which features a fill valve that will allow them to be filled from a truck. We had to get 3 for the BBQ cookers we use because the propane supplier stopped filling the regular tanks with the standard POV valve. As far as regulators it will depend on your appliance requirements and distance from tank to appliance.
VC-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
VC-Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post

My 100 GALLON tank is currently placed RIGHT next to the structure, so I guess there is no minimum for this size tank (I see this allover).

Are the tanks serial numbered? I take it "tank theft" is common?
ac

As long as the water capacity of the tank is less than 125 gals it can be placed next to the structure as long as as the other requirements are met( ignition source, window, crawlspace access )
Old 11-24-2010, 09:53 PM   #9
D.J.

VC Racing; It's not POV but POL on the style of valve. All tanks have serial numbers have serial numbers even the ones manufactured in the 1940's and newer. Tank theft is common. Their are different regulators some are two stage and some are single stage the two stage colors are red on tank and green on the structure. The single stage are gray in color normally. If two tanks are used a automatic switch valve can be installed on them where when one tank runs empty it automaticly switches over to the other tank and then you can remove the empty tank and haul it to have it refilled by the local bottle filling station near you. But you have to be sure and check often because when the last tank runs empty you are totally out of gas and this usually happens at the most inopertune times.
________
VAPOR HERBAL & AROMATHERAPY VAPORIZER

Last edited by D.J.; 04-12-2011 at 10:16 AM.
D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:26 PM   #10
VC-Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J. View Post
VC Racing; It's not POV but POL on the style of valve. All tanks have serial numbers have serial numbers even the ones manufactured in the 1940's and newer. Tank theft is common. Their are different regulators some are two stage and some are single stage the two stage colors are red on tank and green on the structure. The single stage are gray in color normally. If two tanks are used a automatic switch valve can be installed on them where when one tank runs empty it automaticly switches over to the other tank and then you can remove the empty tank and haul it to have it refilled by the local bottle filling station near you. But you have to be sure and check often because when the last tank runs empty you are totally out of gas and this usually happens at the most inopertune times.
Yep, my bad. I been up since 2 am and not really in my right mind.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #11
avc8130

I just got off the phone with a local family-owned propane/oil company. $525 for a BRAND NEW 100 gallon ASME tank. $80 for the regulator. Tank includes a gauge. Free install since it is a swap for an existing tank. They require that they provide first fill.

Current price for propane for my use category is $3.59/gallon delivered with NO extra charges.

I think this is the way I am going to go. A multi-tank setup based on 100# tanks was going to cost $250-300 and require me to transport/fill. Local price for a 100# fill is $70.

ac
Old 11-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #12
babzog

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
Yes they are and yes it is.Not so much with the 500's but up here everyone (well almost everyone) has one or more.Lots of forclosures and shorts,so when someone moves out the tank will get grabbed,then show up on cl. The guy I got mine from worked for a gas co and loaded them on my trailer w/ a thermogas boom truck!
Hell, I switched suppliers a couple of years ago and the original suppliers tank sat here for months. I finally called them up and threatened to sell it on kijiji if they didn't come get it by the end of the week. They came and got it.

Come to think of it, the bastards still owe me a credit for the gas that was left in the tank.
babzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #13
trbomax

[QUOTE=babzog;1186661]Hell, I switched suppliers a couple of years ago and the original suppliers tank sat here for months. I finally called them up and threatened to sell it on kijiji if they didn't come get it by the end of the week. They came and got it.

Theres been what looks to be a new 500 sitting on state land about a 1/4 mile from me for 2 yrs.I told the co I work with that I was gonna grab it because it was "abandoned" on state land.He laughed and said not to because of the serial # thing. He called it in and it was gone in 2 days.Never did find out where it came from though.