Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
denap

Default Sealing a sliding barn door...

Hey all,

I've got a barn/wood-workshop build underway and am trying to solve a door problem maybe someone can help with.

The look of the barn is sort of carriage house and I want a traditional sliding door on the front. Since the barn will be heated and insulated (75kw hot dawg and flash-n-batt) I want to come up with some way to seal the sliding door. The current thinking is to put a patio style door inside the sliding barn door, inswing, so I can seal it and still have decent access and a good view when the barn slider is open.

The issue here is the size. I want an 8' sliding door and am having a hard time finding an 8' patio door that won't breaking the bank. Anyone have any good ideas for sealing a sliding barn door or a source for a reasonable 8' non sliding patio door?

thanks!
-Tom

Last edited by denap; 11-24-2010 at 01:59 PM.
denap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
Tman

Default Re: Sealing a sliding barn door...

I use a rubber seal meant for the bottom of garage doors around the perimeter as a rubber "sweep" style seal. Works great.
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
trbomax

how about a pic of this?
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Scout Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
I use a rubber seal meant for the bottom of garage doors around the perimeter as a rubber "sweep" style seal. Works great.
This idea combined with a simple jamb should work. Use a couple hook-style latches inside, the kind that "over-center" and pull the door towards the jamb. Stay warm!

Scott
Old 11-24-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
CreekRat

If you have an alternate way into the shop can you build a removable panel(s) that fit inside opening of the sliding door.

You could insulate these panels and if made the right way they could be broken down for storage in the spring or removed temporarily in the winter for access through the sliding door.
CreekRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #6
Chaz

I realize this may not suit your fancy at all, but it's an option.
This is an overhead garage door that suits the barn style pretty well. Its insulated and seals beautifully. With non functional sliding door tracks it may give you enough of the look you want without the air leakage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barndoor.jpg (51.9 KB, 138 views)
Old 11-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
semi75

I like the looks of that door Chaz, I don't think I would like the price though.
I made a big mistake when I built my pole barn when I put in two sliding doors that met in the middle, they just were not made for a great seal. I've had ok luck with the sliders in my larger barn but it is unheated. That barn has 4 single door sliders. I finally ordered a sectional overhead door and said the heck with it for my shop/smaller pole barn. Too bad I'm too cheap for a nice looking overhead carriage style door.
semi75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
steviec

I'm not sure what they call them, but in Florida (and probably other similar climate areas) some houses have "cascading" sliding glass doors. Not just the typical one fixed and one sliding section, but several sliding sections. Obviously the track is wider to accept the multiple sliding sections.

I have now idea where you would buy them or what the cost is but I would guess a Google search would eventually find them.

Hope this helps.
steviec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
randydupree

Memtech is your friend.
randydupree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
denap

Thanks for the input guys.

CreekRat, that's an option we've considered as it seems none of the solutions to try and seal the sliding door itself seem terrific. The idea of a door behind the door is how we got to looking for a glass patio door to span the space. It just doesn't appear feasible $$ wise.

We may have to just build something and use lexan or something for some panels to provide visibility when they're in place.
denap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #11
s_ontario

use belting i was in a tsc store and they had a pallet of new belting baler belting and i offered them $50.00 for the flat and they took it 2 100' rolls of 10" and 2 100' rolls of 6" and 2 rolls of 4"

my sliding door is from warm side of shop to cold side of shop
used baler belting would work just as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01077.jpg (138.5 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01090.jpg (134.5 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01089.jpg (138.4 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01088.jpg (166.0 KB, 157 views)
s_ontario is offline   Reply With Quote