Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #1
John Timmins

Default My improvements to my cheap sandblast cabinet

My cabinet is not Harbor Freight but likely made at the same place in China. I bought it on line and the lamp is actually WORSE than the HF unit. It has a shitty 120 volt to 12 volt (?) transformer to a weak florescent lamp inside the cabinet. It has the same side door.

I put wheels on the bottom with 1x4 boards using 7/16 inch bolts for axels. Are the wheels perfect? No and who cares? I can roll it away from the wall and outdoors. I blast with the sun shining through the window. I leave all the media and mess outside too.

The cabinet comes with some sticky protective clear sheets that you're supposed to put on the plastic window inside the cabinet to protect it. The sheets leak, the window gets dirty and scratched, and you have to replace the sheet by leaning inside the cabinet and BREATHING all that dust and paint. Even wearing a mask I don't like doing this.

My solution was to remove the entire window frame and get a pane of glass cut to order for the correct size. I bought some of that foam that's 1 inch wide and sticky on one side and put it on the cabinet around the opening in the top. I removed and discarded all the plastic frame nuts and bolts and have 4 screws sticking up through the cabinet, through the plastic frame, and through 1x2 inch wood strongbacks, and secured all the window frame with the wingnuts.

I went to Grainger and bought a package of sandblaster window protecting film - 2 rolls for about $20. The film rests between the foam on the cabinet and the new glass. At the top of the window you can see the roll of the protective plastic sheet. Seeing the pictures will explain this better.

How everything works for me is: I roll the cabinet outside and put the shopvac hose on the opening and start blasting. My window isn't leakproof but who cares? The shopvac is pulling a suction into the cabinet so not much leaks out. When the window film gets too dirty or scratched up, I shut off the shopvac and loosen the wingnuts and pull and fresh amount of film into place and cut off the used film. The window is clean and I resume blasting.

When I'm done I hose off the cabinet and blow air on it to dry it off. I dispose of the media in the shopvac.

I use glass bead and 60 psi (4 Bar) pressure to blast aluminum to bare metal ( I restore outboard motors). The snap-on guy has a competitive price on the glass bead I use. I think the HF and Tractor Supply stuff is too big.

I hope this helps others!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Outboard timing 003.jpg (45.1 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg Outboard timing 001.jpg (38.5 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg Outboard timing 002.jpg (38.7 KB, 193 views)
John Timmins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:27 AM   #2
wornoutoldman

Default Re: My improvements to my cheap sandblast cabinet

Smart mods. Thanks!

Live every day like it was your last. It might be.

Wanna keep track of all your vehicles maintenance? Click here!
wornoutoldman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
RMR&C

I have that same cabinet. You are right, the light is a joke.....so I tossed it and installed a small outdoor type enclosed floodlight (sealed, halogen).....finally, I can see what I'm blasting!!!
RMR&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
AJ1978

John, Nice Mod's.. I was just debating what to do with mine. I have the HF version. John What motors do you restore. I have a collection of older outboards, and no time to get to them
AJ1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #5
BlindViper

I have the same one it came from grizzly. The stock light worked for about 20 min. I removed the cone filter on the rear and hooked and shop vac to keep the dust out. My window didnt seal worth a crap so I siliconed mine in place
BlindViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
John Timmins

AJ 1948, I only restore automatic transmission Mercury outboards made from 1957 - 1962. I posted pictures 3-4 days ago in the Free Parking section. Look for my posting Automatic Tramsmission Mercury Outboards or something like that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nov 11,2010 Outboard Super Meet in Winter Haven 002.jpg (66.5 KB, 144 views)
John Timmins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
firemark2643

I know there was a post on the Journal for mods concerning the vacuum system but now I can't find it.
firemark2643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
mayday0017

Hm.... I have been blasting with Glass Media for years, stopping using any sort of disposible film was the best thing I ever did. I use nothing, just the glass that is on the cabinet and it works great. The plastic film use to get blasted by the glass media and would be hard to see. The Tempered glass that is on the cabinet doesn't have a mark on it after years of using this way. I don't blast at the glass directly but I"m not really careful of it at all either. Sometimes I take a hand with the glove on and wipe it off inside but even that I can't remember doing in a very long time. I guess I'm trying to say you might not even need to have the protective film on there. And even if the glass lasted as long as the roll of film it would be the same price to replace. Just a little info to Chew on.....
mayday0017 is offline   Reply With Quote