Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
Christian79

Default I will not shop at Harbor Freight or Walmart ANYMORE!

After hearing that Sears has sold out the public by slowly replacing their Craftsman "Made in USA" tools for tools made in China, I was pissed off to say the least. Now I realize that this has been going on for a while but this is the first I had heard about it. So after looking at the thousands of dollars in Craftsman tools I own with a bitter sweet taste in my mouth, I have decided I am partly to blame for their decision.

For far too long the American public has been very content to continue to sell out their own nation for cheap goods and services. Before you get your blood up I am on that list as well. I believe that our country has bought into a lie..... The lie is "It is too expensive to build things here". But I assert it is more expensive to not build things here.

I have heard several people say "America needs to become a white collar service nation". Unfortunately not everyone wants that lifestyle...... Not everyone will go to college...... Not everyone will be able to do the highly skilled labor.

To ignore these facts and continue to let our blue collar and unskilled work go to other nations will only create a class of citizens that will not be able to survive without government subsidization.

I do not believe that our country will have some massive change of heart and only buy goods made in the states, but I do think that I can make an effort to do so. As my first act of patriotism I gathered up every unused item I had a receipt for that was not made in the USA and returned them. When asked why by the cashier, I told them that I no longer wished to support any other nations and only wish to buy goods made in the USA.

I was very surprised to see on two different occasions both employees expressing their approval and one even went so far as to thank me for my actions.

Now I realize not EVERY product can come from our country, but I can at least make an effort to try. Here is an example of one choice I made this weekend. I needed a set of side cuts or dykes if you prefer, I was at Lowes and could have bought their house brand (made in china) for $10 or the Channellock brand (made in USA) for $18. Now I realize this example does lend its self to the idea that goods are more expensive here but the two tools are not even close to the same quality and in any event I bought the Channellock. Another example is that when I was shopping for a lift I chose to buy a used Mohawk rather than a new BendPak. It was not so much a matter of money as it was of pride in my fellow Americans work and product.

All I am saying is that we should all try to support OUR country and OUR neighbors by buying goods made here. It will be more work and it will cost you more but you will at least know you did what you could to help.

Now before feelings get hurt and people think that I am calling them traitors for shopping at Walmart or Harbor Freight, let me add one more comment. I do not fault you if you cannot afford the USA brand product. You may just be starting out in life and that may be all the money you have to spend. After all we have to do the best with what we have. All I am saying is that if you can and if the product is at least as good, and then buy American.

Also do your best to avoid stores like Harbor Freight and Walmart. I am not saying there is anything wrong with the people that work there, you will just have a VERY hard time finding something made in the USA at either store.

This constant outsourcing of jobs to China, Taiwan, and other nations will NOT stop until companies realize that they cannot sell these goods to the American public. If you donít think there is a problem then look around you, Craftsman is selling out to China, Harley Davidson is moving overseas, Vice-Grips sold out to China, BendPak sold out to China, the list goes on and on. And if you bought one of these products after they moved production off shore, and you could have made a choice to buy an alternative product made in the USA, then you are also part of the problem as well.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
PaulR

Default Re: I will not shop at Harbor Freight or Walmart ANYMORE!

I'm only a newb here for the past 5 months but I'm getting really hard into this made in the USA stuff too. My mind is also getting hell-bent on it. I spent 3 hours this morning looking for a snow shovel that was made in the usa. That said, I was at Wal-Mart last week and got some Motorcraft Filters and a Plastic Stanley Tool box that was stamped "Made in the USA".

Wal-Mart does have some stuff made here, you just have to dig for it. Bring your Wal-Mart bingo card, that makes it more fun.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Thirsty

On the flip side of that coin ,many budget minded Americans wouldnt be able to afford many tools,etc if it werent for cheap Chinese labor.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
shoot summ

I get your point, but by boycotting Wal-Mart you are snubbing the largest employer in America....
Old 11-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #5
Auzivision

The fact is we live in a market driven world. Supply versus demand drives free markets. People can attempt to artificially affect these curves by trying to ‘buy American’ but it won’t work. Economies are driven by value add. Unfortunately, the value add of the typical jobs of yester year, doesn’t equal the pay.

Innovation is what ‘might’ get use back on track, but hoping for industrial jobs to come back isn’t going to happen. Our society needs to adapt to reality and reality is we aren’t as dominate as we used to be on the world stage.

The guy from South Africa gave a pretty good unbiased analysis on this Sunday mornings news. It wasn’t his words exactly, but he basically stated the USA is becoming complacent with fat, dumb, and lazy.

He really made me think. With our current trends and less than stellar performance when measured agains other rising nations, our lead is not what it used to be and if we don't shift to this change, someday we might not be number one anymore. We are falling behind on education and innovation.

How are we supposed to compete with China? I don't know, but I sure hope we figure it out soon. I'm glad I won't be around in 100 years to find out either.

Last edited by Auzivision; 11-29-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
ddawg16

Well....makes it pretty obvious your in the union....

"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

In Progress...2-Story Addition link
2-Story Garage Complete My Garage Build Link
Home for.....
84 CJ7 - With a 'few' modifications.. My Jeep Build Link
And my wife's art Studio...
and 3 kids with more energy than we have...
Old 11-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #7
woody 73

You have good intentions but alas this electronic message that I am using to talk to you,is made in china. They tell me that in time all things will come back full circle;Today it's China,tomorrow India then maybe one day back to the USA.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
Thirsty

I am happy we dont have the manufacturing we used to have. Standing in front of a punch press 8 hrs a day for minimum wage is a depressing and mind numbing existence.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
burnitwithfire

Welcome to the world of capitalism.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:29 PM   #10
gte718p

Meh, we have had this discussion before. Good on you Don Quixote. I'm off to be part of the problem.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #11
c_mccann

Funny thing, the fortune cookies at my local chinese restaraunt are made locally..
Wal Mart and Harbor Freight don't own their own mfg. entities for the tools they carry like Sears, so by boycotting them, you are taking further money from america- ie: the workers that work at those stores. I empathize with you for wanting to keep your dollars in America and keep american jobs alive, but a retailer employs US citizens weather or not they mfg. the products they sell. The best approach is to target the US made tools the reatilers sell and only buy those tools from the retailers.
Sad, too- I like Craftsman wrenches, I'll just have to make sure my US made ones don't break..
Old 11-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #12
jmh21586

At least Christian is taking responsibility for it and not just blaming the manufacturers for sending jobs overseas. It's the consumer that constantly and consistantly demands cheaper priced goods that pushes manufacturing overseas. Likewise if the American consumer refused to buy foreign made products companys would be forced to comply with consumer demands.

Consumer demands drive what companys do. Period.

Also on that same note you cannot blame the retailer. Retailers get put in the same boat by the consumer. Blaming Wal Mart is not the answer. They simply are the best at supplying consumer demands.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #13
PSYKO_Inc

Let's not forget that Walmart and Harbor Freight are both American companies and both employ a huge number of Americans. There is more to an economy than manufacturing.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:35 PM   #14
Tatsuya

Soooooooooooooo are tools and cars the only things you're gonna go out of your way for to buy American?

Thought so...
Old 11-29-2010, 02:38 PM   #15
Christian79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirsty View Post
On the flip side of that coin ,many budget minded Americans wouldnt be able to afford many tools,etc if it werent for cheap Chinese labor.
"Off shore" or "Over Seas" products have been available for a long time for those that need them. Remember how everything cheap was made in Taiwan or Hong Kong. But things have gone to far when a majority of items "seem" to be made in China.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #16
Christian79

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
I get your point, but by boycotting Wal-Mart you are snubbing the largest employer in America....
That is true BUT Walmart, back in the Sam Walton days, used to sell made in USA products with pride and in quantity.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #17
ripsnortMN

Everyone wants to make $25 an hour, but nobody wants to buy products from companies that pay $25 an hour.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:43 PM   #18
Christian79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Well....makes it pretty obvious your in the union....
LOL actually I am an electrical engineer at a power company. No union here, just trying to think of my nation before myself whenever I can. BTW unions are also part of the problem. You should not get $25 - $30 an hour to press out body panels. That is a big reason why companies leave!
Old 11-29-2010, 02:43 PM   #19
jmh21586

And when it comes to Craftsman I've been disapointed on a number of occasions for a number of reasons.

1. I bought a meachanics set that came with three ratchets. 1/4" 3/8" 1/2"
The 3/8" and 1/2" were junk out of the box. Neither would hold a socket and the 1/2" would slip under the slightest pressure. But I had many other ratchets and kept forgeting to bring them in under warranty. Finally I did and when I went to the counter I figured they'd go to the rack and give me new ratchets of the exact same kind. Instead they opened a drawer under the cash register and pulled out beat up recondidtioned ratchets. I didn't say anything. Just walked out furious.

2. They are now selling their goods in places like K-Mart of all places. Call me crazy but K-Mart doesn't scream quality to me. ESPECIALLY when it comes to hand tools.
But the more I see of Craftsman the more I realize that IT DOES belong at places like K-Mart.

I recently had to leave work and run to the nearest store which happened to be Home Depot to get a 1/2" ratchet and some sockets. Husky brand. Made in China. Later on put them next to my Craftsman ratchets and the husky looked better fit and finished wise hands down.
But I believe with Husky you have to have the receit in order to get the tool replaced under warranty. Who in the hell keeps the receit for a ratchet and how would you ever keep track of all the receits?? So basicly in my mind there is no warranty.

Kinda like the whole CFL lightbulb deal. Yeah they have great warranties if you're some how able to keep the receits and proof of purchases for every lightbulb ya got.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:44 PM   #20
Christian79

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody 73 View Post
You have good intentions but alas this electronic message that I am using to talk to you,is made in china.
Thats true but it does not have to be that way.
Closed Thread