Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
dwwright

Default Wood stove pipe 6" or 8"

I acquired some sections of double wall stainless chimney this week totalling 9 1/2' for $125 off of craigs list. It's 8" in diameter and the connection on the stove is 6". I'm planning to run single wall from the stove to the chimney connection and I'll need to use a 90 degree elbow coming out the back of the stove.

My question is: Should run mostly 8" single wall and put the reducer at the bottom or mostly 6" single wall and put the reducer just off the chimney pipe at the top?

My first thought was to just use 6", but since there will be an area for buildup in the reducer, it may be better to put it closer to the heat source to burn off any build-up. Using 8" may also give off a little more heat with the extra few inches of metal since I'll have a ceiling fan mounted close by to circulate heat off the flue.

Thoughts or suggestions?
Old 12-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
csp

Default Re: Wood stove pipe 6" or 8"

Convert to 8" as close to the stove as possible.
csp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
trbomax

transitioning a woodstove chiminy to a bigger size is a bad idea. It will severly affect the draft , resulting in puff backs and creosote build up. The only way transitions are reccomended is to reduce the size,because this would actually increase the draft. If you do this,please check the draft on your unit with a water colume meter before useing it.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
burleymike

This question would be best answered on Hearth.com. From what I understand from all the pros is it is ok to up size a chimney one size larger but you never want to down size. Connecting an 8" stove to a 6" chimney would be bad but it is ok to connect a 6" stove to an 8" chimney.

As long as you don't have a smoldering fire 27/7 and you have dry wood you should not have too bad a problem with creosote especially if the pipe is insulated. How old is the stove? If it is a newer EPA certified stove it will burn pretty darn clean and hot.
burleymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
trbomax

WTF ?? I got it backwards??
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #6
dwwright

I spoke with a pro tonight actually. He said that I'd be better off keeping it 6" from the stove all the way to the 8" chimney pipe. According to him, the larger the pipe, the cooler it would be causing build-up. So keeping it 6" would be hotter keeping the creosote from building up as easily.

The stove is an older circulator, same as the wonderwood models.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
IDASHO

A smaller pipe will always get up to temp faster, thus start drafting properly faster.

Very few stoves put out enough BTU to actually need a 8" pipe. Even my large wood stove has trouble overheating the 8" chimney.

It is a bit of a pain to regulate with a small fire though, and can be a real pain getting one started sometimes.

Sticking with 6" is a good bet. I really wish mine was 6".

Either way, I strongly suggest getting a burn thermometer for the stove pipe. Very useful tool to maintain a fire hot enough to avoid creosote buildup.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 PM   #8
dwwright

Will do on the thermometer. Would have gone with 6" chimney, but $125 for 9 1/2' was a steal, otherwise would have easily been $500. The previous owner only had it installed for about 2 years and used a pellet stove with it. He had it removed when they re-roofed the house.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
Red Green

If you can get a non-adjustable 90. They seem to last a lot longer than the ones that can be adjusted.

"Unlike love respect can't be bought" H. Simpson
Red Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
dwwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Green View Post
If you can get a non-adjustable 90. They seem to last a lot longer than the ones that can be adjusted.
Cool, Thanks!
Old 12-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #11
burleymike

You should be ok with that 8" pipe since it is insulated it will not have as much of a problem with creosote. It is the uninsulated stove pipe that has the worst creosote problems.

The stove you have is EPA exempt which means it will burn clean but not as clean as a certified stove. Exempt stoves have a fixed amount of air so they can't smolder unless you modify them. I once had an exempt stove and the insulated chimney never had much build up, however you could not damper the stove down so it burned fast and hot.
burleymike is offline   Reply With Quote