Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
plinker

Default Napa rebuilt motors (short block)

Sorry, wrong fourom. please move

I'm looking at possibily buying from Napa a Ford 2.9L short block for my '89 Ranger. Does anyone know how good those short blocks from Napa are?

experiance's?

For hand tool warranty info, see link
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=38749

Last edited by plinker; 12-02-2010 at 07:54 PM.
plinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
peterbilr98

Default Re: Napa rebuilt motors (short block)

im sure they get them from the same rebilder as the rest of the parts houses in your area or region whats the warranty.
peterbilr98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-02-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
I can fix anything

why a shortblock?
I can fix anything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
Infidel

Ask Napa who their supplier is, and look over the warranty very very carefully. You may need to have it "professionally installed" to even be covered under warranty.
Infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
ngk22r

Last time I checked with my Napa distributor they use ATK
ngk22r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
cantthinkof1

ATK is the main supplier for NAPA. Some stores go through Marshall for rebuild engines as well.
cantthinkof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #7
plinker

Reason for a short block is I want to use some thicker casting aftermarket heads. 2.9L's are known for trouble in that area.

Napa is where I get the best service (+ discount where I work), I'll do some quizing when I see my rep. next. I was curious if anyone had gotten a engine from them.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:55 PM   #8
Stick

Napa engines seem to be hit or miss, though our Napa rep can order us Jasper remans (longblock) which are great engines.
Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:38 AM   #9
Even 11

ATK supplies them for Napa (Napa), O'Reilly (Powertorque/Vege), Autozone (?), Advance (ATK), and several others. Unfortunately ATK is about the last major engine rebuilder left. Global, Recon, Hi-tech, Bonded, Everdrive, and several others have gone belly up in the last few years. ATK bought a couple of those companies. Not to say ATK is a bad company, I have sold several and even have one in my fathers pickup. Shop around for the best price and availability, they really are all the same engine.

I would go for the longblock too since the shortblock warranty will be 90 days or something like that. The longblock would have at least 36 mo/36k or better, including the heads.

Don't forget to do at least 1 break in oil change too!

-Dane

Last edited by Even 11; 12-03-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Even 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:31 AM   #10
JASTECH

I use to use reman. TRW engines, that was way back when me and Rick S. use to hang out in Bob Mendenhall's garage and figure out tricks to improve our 1/4 mile runs. I remember Bonded and ATK though, lol

Thanks, JASTECH
JASTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:36 AM   #11
TN2Lane

Check with Grooms - http://www.groomsengines.com
TN2Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:45 AM   #12
warpedredneck

i had enough bad engines from napa that i dont even price from them anymore, i use jasper or the local machine shop and assemble my own now
warpedredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:05 AM   #13
slipknot
Banned

why not buy a block at junk yard (not a junk yard more like a major motor,tranny salvage yard) get a rebuild kit, new head better cam and go from there?

it's gonna cost me 900 for a master rebuild kit bearings etc,performance head *fully assembled* with a 261crawler cam,all pumps,new valve cover,

175 for a block with crank and all *100-200 to have it machined *

larbor maybe another 600 give or take

and some pointers and teaching

Last edited by slipknot; 12-03-2010 at 05:12 AM.
slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:30 AM   #14
kc-steve

Sorry Plinker, I sincerely hate to be anal retentive but "motors" are electrically-driven in nature. "Engines" derive their power from combustion of some sort. So, just to help you NOT sound like a typical woman, or any other person not familiar with auto mechanics, please use the correct term "engine" when referring to current automobile's motive power. . . . Just giving ya hard time.

Steve

PS: All angered women should realize that I am the culprit here, not "Plinker." So send your hate-mail to me.

Feedback

Last edited by kc-steve; 12-03-2010 at 07:07 AM.
kc-steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:04 AM   #15
4x4gearhead

why actually put the 2.9 back in? youll just have to do head gaskets on it :P go with a 4.0!
Old 12-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #16
WastedAgain440

I have no experience with napa rebuilt engines but I will say if you haven't bought the heads yet check out world products 2.9l head. I just did head gaskets in my 2.9l last year and the world products heads where dirt cheap like $45 per side, and there the thicker castings and everything. They still might be on clearance. Those heads with 4.0l radiator, ya shouldn't have a head gasket problem in awhile.Just my .02 cents
WastedAgain440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:04 PM   #17
plinker

Quote:
Sorry Plinker, I sincerely hate to be anal retentive but "motors" are electrically-driven in nature. "Engines" derive their power from combustion of some sort. So, just to help you NOT sound like a typical woman, or any other person not familiar with auto mechanics, please use the correct term "engine" when referring to current automobile's motive power. . . . Just giving ya hard time.
Yeah but dont they call it "motor oil"

I had looked at Worlds website & didnt see them, last I heard the were discontinued. The King heads are the best available now from what I understand. Already have the 4.0L radiator

Back story;
I bought the truck 2 years ago & didnt have time/money to mess with it untill this spring/summer. It sat for a few years before I got (I'm guessing at least 2-3).

The transmission need work, so I'm rebuilding that I had the engine mostly apart and replaced intake gaskets & injectors decided to change the oil pump & pan gasket after I had it running again and saw some green droplets.

Long story short head gaskets were shot (likely from sitting) and I also found some pitting in a couple of cylinders. So after some thinking I decided to either get the engine rebuilt or buy one already rebuilt. Then the whole drivetrain is new/rebuilt. Might be impractical restoring an '89 vehicle (it's getting body work & paint too.) but it's valuable experiance and kinda fun (except for spending money).

Old 12-03-2010, 11:16 PM   #18
wafrederick

Do not get it!First the warranty sucks,you have to take it one of their certain places for warranty work.Another thing is the reman auto parts reman engines use cheap parts such as pistons made in China,bearings made in Israel.Tons of transfering of parts too,the timing cover and oil pan included.Get a Jasper instead,best hassle free warranty out there and use high quality parts doing upgrades too.Jasper has a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty and you can take to any Jasper dealer for warranty work.Jasper remans already have the oil pan,oil pump and timing cover installed.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:50 AM   #19
WastedAgain440

Right on yeah it was a couple years ago I rebuilt my 2.9 and the world heads where discontinued then, but they where selling off the remaining stock. Nothing wrong with rebuilding a old truck like that, at least your not making payments on it. Mines a 1987,only thing if I ever have to do the heads again it's getting a 4.0 the 2.9 can be a dog at times even with a 5 speed.
WastedAgain440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #20
wafrederick

Rebuilding an engine can be more expensive than a reman.Consider the machine work,parts and sometimes bad news: a crack in the cylinder head,block or a bad cylinder including a bad crankshaft out of specs.Where I work at,talk the customer into a Jasper reman since they are still going to own the vehicle still and say yes.One machine shop in my area did close down due to prices of reman engines.I have had one experiance with one Napa reman engine which a customer supplied.Nothing but a real PITA,was a 302 for a 1991 Lincoln town car.Had to transfer the oilpan,timing cover including the intake and exhaust manifolds,valve covers and sensors from the old engine to the Napa short block.Had to install the oil pump too which came with the engine.One problem with getting an engine rebuilt is finding someone that stands behind their work,there are some that will not and you don't want that.I done tons with Jasper remans,much better since the oil pan and timing cover are already installed.Once in a while,I have run a tap through some of the threads on a Jasper since paint gets in the threads.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote