Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2007, 10:44 PM   #1
TorqueWrench

Default Corded power tool storage ideas?

So how do some of you guys store your corded (and cordless) power tools. I have mine just thrown in one of my cabinets. Angle grinders, bufffer, drills, heat gun...etc. Post some pics if you got them.
Thanks.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:11 PM   #2
Down Under Bloke

Default Re: Corded power tool storage ideas?

Sorry no pics; but old filing cabinets are a good cheap storage option for power tools
Down Under Bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-05-2007, 11:23 PM   #3
boiler7904

Each power / cordless tool gets stored on a shelf in its case along with any accessories that will fit in the case.

If a tool doesn't come in a case, I find a metal or plastic toolbox that fits the tool and its gear.

It helps me avoid a tangled mess of cords and lets me find all of the parts, pieces, wrenches, etc. when I go to use the tool.
boiler7904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:58 AM   #4
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler7904
Each power / cordless tool gets stored on a shelf in its case along with any accessories that will fit in the case.

If a tool doesn't come in a case, I find a metal or plastic toolbox that fits the tool and its gear.

It helps me avoid a tangled mess of cords and lets me find all of the parts, pieces, wrenches, etc. when I go to use the tool.
I do sort of the same thing.... or I put case-less tools in those tool bags that you get with cordless sets...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran View Post
Why bother? Natural selection will take care of them. If it doesn't, a 12-gauge can take care of the unnatural selection...
eschoendorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:18 AM   #5
wilbilt
Banned

I built a "poor man's Lista" out of an old computer rack. It was already on casters. I turned it sideways, and attached a vertical 1x2 strip in each corner using the prepunched rack mounting holes.

I screwed some ebay-procured drawer slides to the 1x2s and built some drawers from scrap plywood and OSB. The upper drawers are deep enough to fit drills, jigsaws, a reciprocating saw in it's case, etc.

The bottom drawer holds a circular saw, router in it's case and other things that don't fit in the top drawers.

It's not pretty, but it works, and cost me about $10 because I already had most of it lying around.
wilbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:18 AM   #6
klswvu

I have a few old steel school lockers with shelves from top to bottom. Each slot is the right size for a power tool.
klswvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:00 AM   #7
wilbilt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by klswvu
I have a few old steel school lockers with shelves from top to bottom. Each slot is the right size for a power tool.
I work for a school district, and keep trying to get "dibs" on old lockers as they are replaced. Unfortunately, somebody always beats me to it. They are a hot commodity, lol
wilbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:03 AM   #8
Charles (in GA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klswvu
The old gym clothes wire basket shelves? I have four of them, shelves are spaced somewhat closer than a normal metal shelves. They had tabs on the shelves to lock the wire baskets to, I removed them, bolted pairs of them back to back, mounted them on angle iron frames with casters. One is tools, power tools, cased tap and die sets, battery chargers, funnels, etc. The other pair is for aerosol cans and small parts such as tywraps, light bulbs, etc.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:52 AM   #9
1320stang

It seems that the nicer corded tools used to have a wire bail attached near where the power cord went into the tool, though circular saws are the exception. I tend to wrap the cord around the tool after giving a loop near where the cord enters the tool. Not many cords to deal with. When I replace a cord, I've been making them short, long enough to tie a 'knot' with the extension, but that's about it. I kinda like how some of the electric weed whackers and bush trimmers have no cord, but the extension just plugs into the tool. The drawback is the large housing end and plastic spear that sticks out to help retain the cord.

1963 Fairlane 2 door post
1965 Mustang Coupe
1973 F-100 longbed
1991 Festiva "Thing 1", red
1991 Festiva "Thing 2", blue
1992 Festiva "Blackie", black (duh)
1993 Festiva "Feisty", white
2000 Explorer 4 door, "Kevin"
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix
2003 Explorer SportTrac
2005 Honda Accord
2008 Mercury Mountaineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
PS: I'm a girl..
1320stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:11 PM   #10
russlaferrera

I use toolboxes, that fit that item and all the needed parts/supplies ie: 4 1/2 grinder has extra disks, flap disks , changing wheel wrenches.

I also have toolboxes for electrical stuff such as wire nuts, plugs, switches, tape and elect. tools. It makes it easy to do any elect work as everything that is needed is there.
russlaferrera is offline   Reply With Quote