Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-04-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
WastedAgain440

Default Entry level mechanic jobs

Can anybody give me some pointers on getting a entry level auto tech job? I can't seem to get my foot in any door, I have experience as a tire/battery installer and graduated from tech high school,although I studied hvac. Recently got layed off again as a screenprinter and I would like to start a career instead of another dead end job. I know of a couple people who got entry level jobs years ago and had no tools or any experience besides high school auto shop.For what it's worth, I can turn a wrench. I've been working on cars since I was 10 as a hobby and I fix all my friends cars when they break...

My question, is it worth even trying in this economy? Do shops even consider taking in someone with no schooling?

Forgot to add I have my own tools already.

Thanks
WastedAgain440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
I can fix anything

Default Re: Entry level mechanic jobs

I need someone one of my guys moved off. The jobs are out there. Go to an independent shop, tell them you have a little experience and learn fast. Then be prepared to work hard and get some crap jobs. You will make some cash but you will not get rich right away. Be honest and sincere with the prespective employer. Good luck.
I can fix anything is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-05-2010, 12:01 AM   #3
RLRRLRLL

Send a message via MSN to RLRRLRLL Send a message via Yahoo to RLRRLRLL

I think anymore they are interested if you can use a DVOM, and know how to diagnose. Thats what my teacher is telling us anyways haha. But its true, if you can use the shit out of our DVOM, and know how to use a lab scope and a scan tool, you are ahead of the game...i think. haha. I will be in the same boat soon, this summer i will hopefully start a job in a shop.
RLRRLRLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
RbrtAWhyt

You sound like you are fairly young. Consider doing a couple of years in the military. If you want to be a mechanic the opportunity is there to get all the schooling you need. From light cars/trucks to whatever the largest piece of mechanical equipment the military has. Many doors get opened with military service on your resume...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran
You can only get the clap so many times before it turns into applause...

Hit me up on Facebook.
RbrtAWhyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:47 AM   #5
yellowbox

try small shops , be prepared to be turned down alot , keep trying
you will work for less than 10.00 but will learn alot
you need 2 yrs exp to be able to take a.s.e. tests you will need those
Old 12-05-2010, 01:08 AM   #6
MattT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbrtAWhyt View Post
Consider doing a couple of years in the military. If you want to be a mechanic the opportunity is there to get all the schooling you need.
Not necessarily the best if the guy wants to make good money. I've worked with a couple .mil guys who were trained to be parts changers but couldn't diagnose jack. And they had more than a couple years in too. Also worked with a Sgt who really knew his stuff but he had his award for 20 years of undetected crime
MattT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:18 AM   #7
WastedAgain440

Default thanks

Thanks for the advice fellas. Appreciate it. I'm 28, thought of joining the military but that's about as far as I got... I guess I'll try a few places in the surrounding towns on monday and see what happens. The diagnostic tools are pretty much the only tools I don't have, would I need those right away?
WastedAgain440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:47 AM   #8
Doc

A close friend of mine just had her 19 year old son get a job at Car Max about 2 months ago. He has no high school tech classes but 1 year of tech college. Thats it, no other automotive experience. He works on an asembly line at Car Max teaching him different stations. One day he is doing cleaning detail, next day he is checking brake pads, next day he may be doing r/r of tires so the cars can be sold. They provide the basic tools of the job and give him uniforms. IMHO, I think this is great as it gives him multiple skill sets. For CarMax, It gives them someone who can be put anywhere on there asembly line to do a job, regardless of who does or does not show up to work that day.
As for the pay, I have no idea.

Good Luck on finding your job, Key to is dont get upset or quit, just keep looking.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
wornoutoldman

As far as the ASE tests go. I believe your last 10 years of working on cars will satisfy the requirement. It's all in how it's worded. If you need an employer to vouch for that experience you are self employed. Problem solved. Get the study books (Mitchell makes good ones) and take the tests any you pass (and you will pass some maybe all) will be all you need for most shops to hire you. In the absence of ASEs (and to start working right away) show up in person and ask to speak to the Service manager (dealerships) or Owner (Independant shops) and explain your situation. Talk about your experience and that you have your own (basic) tools. Ask for a trial period of 1-4 weeks with no obligation to the perspective employer. Knock on enough doors you will get a job. Tech jobs are available for people who want to work. It's the "I can only work 9-5 and no weekends" clock puncher types that always seem to fail in the auto repair trades. Oh and Good Luck! (you won't need it. Just sayin.)

"Mama raised ugly kids not stupid ones".

Wanna keep track of all your vehicles maintenance? Click here!

Still Seeking Snap-on 12pt standard length combination wrench. Underlined Script Only:

*OEX8 1/4 that's OEX8 not OEX80 and underlined script only.......

Have MINT later version I could trade plus cash.
wornoutoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #10
bgott

Go work in a wrecking yard for a while. It'll give you experience of how stuff is put together without the stress of having it work when you are done. You'll get fired if you break too much stuff but it beats breaking stuff on a customer's car.
bgott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #11
blackice

take whatever you can afford to for a bit. I worked for the worst boss in the world, at the crappyest shop around (didn't even have hoists), for 7-something an hour. Once I had my first year of my apprenticeship and a term at trade school done, doors started opening up, and I moved to a much better shop, then a dealership once I was licenced.

The other option is to take a diffrent job for now, to pay the bills, and hook up with a reputable race team at a local track. it doesn't pay anything, but its alot of fun, but it looks good on a resume and you will learn a lot too. Just do your homework before deciding on a team. You will also make alot of friends in the trade too, so that might help with the job hunt.

Night courses are great, but when I am hiring a new apprentice or tech, I want experence of some sort to back up the book smarts.
blackice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #12
crewchief888

you could check out a truck or heavy eq shop doing oil changes and tires.

thats how i got started 25+ years ago.

may open another door

good luck

Old 12-05-2010, 09:30 AM   #13
PorscheTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLRRLRLL View Post
I think anymore they are interested if you can use a DVOM, and know how to diagnose. Thats what my teacher is telling us anyways haha. But its true, if you can use the shit out of our DVOM, and know how to use a lab scope and a scan tool, you are ahead of the game...i think. haha. I will be in the same boat soon, this summer i will hopefully start a job in a shop.
Yea that's great to know and a must but you won't be using that shit in the field every day like they make it out to be. It's pretty random and you'll have more "normal" stuff 10 fold. Scan tools are stupid easy to use, knowing what they're telling you and diagnosing is another. Focus on that. Lab scopes are good also but I can't tell you the last time I've had to use one.
PorscheTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #14
Lotek

First off, may I suggest any other line of work, it's really hard to make a living as a tech right now. With that being said, try finding a dealership with a quicklube setup, hourly, low pay, bottom of the totem pole, but a foot in the door, then offer to help the techs out when you aren't busy, there is a lot of online training that is available, talk the mgr into giving you access. It looks good on your record. ASEs help, the mfgs are starting to require them.

Another example of when God turns to Darwin and says "I thought you were going to fix this s@#t".

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. "

"I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! Ah, it's great to be male!" -Calvin
Lotek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #15
CarCrafter

What you are looking for is an opportunity. The current economy is a determining factor, but only so far. You have to give them a good reason WHY they should give YOU a chance as opposed to someone else who is already more capable and/ or have more tools. Sometimes, if you come across the right business, they might very well just decide that you are a perfect fit and are willing to "grow" you into their kind of technician. The business of course will be mindful of their return on investment. I'm certainly not going to bring you on, train you, equip you with tools and knowledge, just so someone else down the road can steal you away. So I guess you really have to ask yourself, why YOU and why not SOMEBODY ELSE? If you are presentable, punctual, reliable, willing to learn, have a positive attitude, possess the intelligence, just to name a few, you might have a good place to start. How do you find these places? Go out and pound the pavement and ask. Be persistent, and don't hesitate to ask them for advice even if THEY can't hire you at this time. Some shop owners are always taking applications. Go down to the office supply store and purchase your own and fill them out at home. That way, you won't have to rush through it while filling it out on their counter. Practice interviewing skills on your own time, and be prepared to sell yourself more than the next guy. Entry level guys come and go and most all are expendable. What you have to do is make it so they bring you back in to interview or hire you right then and there, as opposed to just throwing your application in the trash the moment you turn around. That is what I would do if I were you. I also pretty much just described to you what I would be looking for if you were to walk into my doors uninvited.

Trouble is.
Half of the people think it is a wonderful place to live,
while the other half think it is a wonderful place to pillage.
CarCrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #16
Heavy Metal Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbrtAWhyt View Post
You sound like you are fairly young. Consider doing a couple of years in the military. If you want to be a mechanic the opportunity is there to get all the schooling you need. From light cars/trucks to whatever the largest piece of mechanical equipment the military has. Many doors get opened with military service on your resume...
What he said.....

I didn't actually learn much about wrenching at all during my 5 years stint as a 62B. All the basic mechaincal skills where already there, and they didn't even allow us to do much serious technical stuff . But having that experience on the resume made it snap to find a job when I got out.....a few companies I have dealt with hire exclusively from military job adds - never advertise localy at all 'cause they know there are always guys coming out of the service with a least a good starting base of knowledge even if thier MOS/AFSC was something different than the position they trying to fill.
Heavy Metal Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #17
hillbilly1

My son just graduated with a automotive technology degree, and is having a tough time getting a job in that field, he went to work at a pawn shop that repaired the cars they sold, pulling parts off of junkers out back to use on cars, no lift, just gravel drive and paying minimum wage. He has been looking for anything to get him in the door at dealerships or independents, changing oil, rotating tires, anything. But nobody is hiring, so he is still doing the McDonalds thing to pay the bills.
hillbilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #18
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

not many dealers are hiring now , always been tough in the Christmas season ...in the USA other than michigan , no license required to be an auto mechanic
SpiderGearsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #19
dolfans

I work at a tire store (stock). For the past 2-3 yrs they have had a ad on the esc page for a mechanic and sales.But they don't pay well. Also have seen a ad for a mechnic for a dealership with like 6 yrs exp with GM. They are there just keep looking goodluck
dolfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #20
srmofo

I got started at sears changing tires and batteries. Slowly moved up their ladder over 3 years. Then found a job at a large local independent shop with 28 locations. 7 years later, Im the lead tech at my shop and do most of the diagnostic work. You wont start out diag-ing cars, so dont waste your money on anything more than a decent dvom and a test light. Save your money for basic tools first, and Im not talking about wrenches,sockets,screwdrivers, or pliers

Most likely they will feel you out by giving you increasingly bigger and more difficult jobs. Theres more to wrenching than just hanging parts. You need to be able to accurately determine what that shimmy, clunk, squeal is the first time.

A few ASE certs never hurts to get your foot in the door. Show enthusiasm, and know how to learn.
srmofo is offline   Reply With Quote