Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
ServiceWithIntegrity
Banned

Default Quitting a job in a bad way/leaving on bad terms....

Has anyone on this forum ever quit a job in a bad way where you burned bridges? Just curious.
ServiceWithIntegrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
Nealcrenshaw

Default Re: Quitting a job in a bad way/leaving on bad terms....

All right,Tell us what you did
Old 12-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
ServiceWithIntegrity
Banned

I wanted to quit today, but kept it cool.
ServiceWithIntegrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
Red Green

Real close. I was back from lunch 2 minutes early and the forklift driver left their truck in my work area. 10 minutes after the lunch break was over she wasn't back yet. So I moved the truck. I had the permit to be able to drive the thing took the test through the company. She showed up ten minutes later and proceded to yell at me that "I wasn't autroized to drive the forklift" and that "I shouldn't have moved it." I told her that "if she hadn't taken a 50 minute lunch instead of 30 it wouldn't have been a problem". The supervisor took us both outside I said "I don't need this aggravation and I can quit right now". The supervisor looked right at her and said "John (That was me) we don't want YOU to quit. Keep up the good work."

"Unlike love respect can't be bought" H. Simpson
Red Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
Test Tech

I did one time. My advice is to not burn a bridge in haste, think it through a bit and consider if there could be further consequences to your career/reputation. Working in automotive tesing around Detroit, it is kind of a small world and your reputation can defintely proceed you. In my instance a few years ago, I quit without notice after finding a new job. I did so with the thought that the employer was making such a bad reputation for themselves that if anyone knew that I had quit without notice, they would understand. Ten years later as I've talked to other people in the business, I have been proven right, that former employer of mine has a bad reputation.
Test Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
metal1313

twice, one owes me money that i'll never see. he owes alot of people alot of money. another time when i was younger, 16, i was working as a bus boy in a country club, my boss was a coke head prick. he mess up something for a party and took it out on me. i had enough of just ignoring him, and said something back. and that 45y/o a-hole took a swing at me. i clocked him in the face a few times before the chefs threw me in the freezer. the cops showed up and after listening to both of us looked at the video and arrested that schmuck for assulting a minor. i did get fired for making a scene as i was leaving
metal1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
Robert L

I have to say I have done so more than a few times thanks to my inability to deal with fools and a bad temper.
Some I regretted but not all. Some I have really enjoyed leaving them in a jam.
Another thing that disturbs me is why do you have to give two weeks notice?
Does your employer say to you-John, we are going to fire you in two weeks so that way u will leave on good terms-
or do they lay u off some notice? I always try to have a job lined up before I say "later". I can't work where I am not happy, its very depressing.

But that's just me.

In reality boys, the days of you working hard and being loyal to your employer and the employer taking care of you is long gone!!

Now a days you get replaced for some kid outta college to pay them half of what you make to do the same job, or find some reason to fire you after 25 years so that they don't have to give you benefits.
Robert L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #8
Red Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert L View Post
I have to say I have done so more than a few times thanks to my inability to deal with fools and a bad temper.
Some I regretted but not all. Some I have really enjoyed leaving them in a jam.
Another thing that disturbs me is why do you have to give two weeks notice?
Does your employer say to you-John, we are going to fire you in two weeks so that way u will leave on good terms-
or do they lay u off some notice? I always try to have a job lined up before I say "later". I can't work where I am not happy, its very depressing.

But that's just me.

In reality boys, the days of you working hard and being loyal to your employer and the employer taking care of you is long gone!!

Now a days you get replaced for some kid outta college to pay them half of what you make to do the same job, or find some reason to fire you after 25 years so that they don't have to give you benefits.
There are a very very few family owned businesses take care of their employees. They are rare as hens teeth anymore but I know a few that gave employees notice when they were going to have to lay them off.

"Unlike love respect can't be bought" H. Simpson
Red Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:56 PM   #9
red69ss

I was laid off last year, told me 30 minutes before the end of shift. That was cool I seen it coming as work was slow. It was a temporary lay off so I keep waiting on them to call me back. After waiting 7 months I decided I was going to get my tools, I didn't call ahead I just showed up, and found out why they had not called me back. The boss man's son was there running my old job. It took a lot of restraint not to blast the boss, as I had talked to him on the phone a couple times and he told me things had just not picked back up yet.
It may feel good to blast your idiot employer, but it probaly will come back to bite you later. I've had a couple of interviews in the last couple of weeks and this came up in both int., they wanted to know my reasons for changing jobs in the past and if they could contact my former employers, also if I had any conflicts with old supervisors.

On a different subject I hate all the new pyscho analitycal bullcrap they ask you during a job interview these days, what a bunch of crap.
1968 chevy C10 rustbucket project (making one out of five)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Einstein
red69ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:12 AM   #10
copterdoctor

I was laid off a week ago today... we had about a week and a half notice....

I punched a boss one time..... but that was because he made a pass at my girl at the party.... he was druuuunk.... apologized later, and gave me a raise a few weeks later.... punched him again when he made a second pass at her.... sober... he was fired the next day, I was promoted into his position. lol... it's a loong story... but that's pretty much the jist of it....
Old 12-08-2010, 12:28 AM   #11
Toolhorder

I've left MANY jobs on bad terms.

I left my post at Burger King back on New's Year's Eve 96. Worst job ever.
Besides the many things wrong with working there,
Low pay
1 uniform (used and smelled even clean like Ketchup/mustard/grease)
Manager former military (you got time to lean, you got time to clean!)
If sales slowed you went home, sorry!
No benefits

Anyway after a month or so it came to a head when I didn't want to work New year's eve anyway and had to because the other people got out of it and the manager was beating me up all night about EVERYTHING. I had just met my girlfriend, had my own place and she was waiting for me at the apt. Finally told the manager I'd had enough and walked out. Loved the, "what are I suppose to do without someone to make the food?" lol

That girlfriend is my wife now so I guess it was worth it!
Toolhorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:08 AM   #12
ihredo4

You bet I have. Very proud of the fact also. Told them all that you don't give me two weeks notice that you will let me go so why should I do the same. Further more I said you can't do anything but say yes I worked for you and when. It may have cost me other jobs but who gives a shit about that kind of company. I DON'T HAVE to buy or use THEIR product.

Also, trying to finish a couple sets of Williams Superrenchs
ihredo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:16 AM   #13
tatra

Post Re: Quitting a job in a bad way/leaving on bad terms....

i have and no regrets................
tatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:23 AM   #14
ZRX61

I quit one job (30+ years ago) by lifting the boss out of his seat by the throat & put his head through a solid wood door... I think he got the hint.

He was such a twat that the other employees paid my fine...

Didn't bother asking for references....

Tool Afflictionardo

I'd rather have an "airplane guy" work on my keyboard than have a "keyboard guy" work on my airplane.
ZRX61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:29 AM   #15
ZRX61

Quote:
Originally Posted by red69ss View Post
On a different subject I hate all the new pyscho analitycal bullcrap they ask you during a job interview these days, what a bunch of crap.

What are your strengths?

I can leap tall buildings with a single bound!

Really!!? and your weaknesses?

Whores.

NEXT!

What are your strengths?

Unbelievable restraint in the face of stupid questions...

Tool Afflictionardo

I'd rather have an "airplane guy" work on my keyboard than have a "keyboard guy" work on my airplane.
ZRX61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:45 AM   #16
WVU Tuba Dale

Send a message via AIM to WVU Tuba Dale

I have. Now I have a job I love, and I make great money.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:29 AM   #17
Hlidskjalf

Red Green, no offense but it seems like a bitch move to threaten your boss to quit over some dumb co-worker.

I have never quit on bad terms, but I have had employees quit on me in bad terms.

A couple guys I had hired for 2-3 years both left within six months. One quit after he came in 2 hrs late and I gave his work to another tech. The other found a job that payed double and left with no notice.

Guy with the dream job ended up working for a couple weeks, then went out on his ass. Other guy is on my route downtown and I see his car parked at his house everyday.

The funny part is they both found work with with a subcontractor I use. I no longer use his services. Knowing those two are working on my job gives me an uneasy feeling, especially since I don't trust them. If they left on good terms I would have no problem. They were here because we were busy, I never though they were cut out for what we do anyway.

Just my experience...
Hlidskjalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:54 AM   #18
UncleJoe

30 years ago I was a department manager at a company with about 100 employees. My wife worked there also. We went on vacation and the day we returned our desks had been cleaned out and personal items were placed in a box. We had no warning. My mentor explained that an upper management take over fight had taken place and I was the victim of that. We were the only people "let go"

My wife really wanted to tell everyone off but I remember my father telling me to never burn a bridge so we left with class and dignity.

I quickly landed a job in the same industry but in another city. As luck would have it I excelled in my job and was promoted many times. About 5 years later I was attending a national trade show and I ran into a board member from my old place of employment. He asked if we could meet for drinks. He apologized for how we were treated back then and told me how impressed they were at how I handled the situation. He had followed my career and was impressed with the progress I had made. To make a long story short by the end of the day he offered me the position of President of the old company that had fired me.

Since I was in a good position in my job at that time I had the delicious pleasure of turning him down. I will never burn a bridge it just does not pay.
UncleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:43 AM   #19
djjsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJoe View Post
I will never burn a bridge it just does not pay.
Good advice UncleJoe.

I spent over 30 years in management and always checked references and work history when hiring a new employee. Another piece of advice, if you're applying for a new job and get to the interview process, keep any discussion about your previous employers as positive as you can. If you have a bad attitude or a chip on your shoulder, you probably won't get hired.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:03 AM   #20
NJHandyGuy

Send a message via AIM to NJHandyGuy

Only once and boy did it feel good. i wqas working maintenance at a retirement village ans my boss was this short little bald fatman with a napoleonic complex. if was a temporary summer job anyway and the last week i was there was a week before i knew i was gonna get laid off anyway. This assbag had a way of talking down to everyone about everything and me and a couple of the other guys were getting tired of it. i was working trash detail in the kitchen after lunch when he was being beligerent with this girl that worked there "Can't you idiots do anything right" and all she was doing was crying (I MEAN BAWLING) and appologizing. He was antagonizing her callinghe rw whore and a bitch and i got fed up. i told him "why don't you resist the urge to be an abusive dick and leave her(the fuck) alone". he looks up and goes "fuck you pick weeds or something moron" "that did it i walked up to him told him to "pick on some one his own size oh wait there are no midgets in jersey" that set him off into a tirade of the third power "fuck you fuck your mom you worthless pos" and "this is why i hate the fostercare work program" then he pushed me i barely moved but i picked him up and put him in the trash can "fuck you that's where you belong jerkoff i quit". me the girl and about 5 other youth follwed me off the property, he left the next day i got offered my position back but turned it down and i still got a positive reference from the director of hr. i seen napoleon (real name Michael Simmons) about 4 monthes ago in the electronic dept at wal-mart. i swear i saw him shaking
www.Libertytowing.webs.com

Last edited by NJHandyGuy; 12-08-2010 at 08:09 AM.
NJHandyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote