Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-10-2010, 12:58 AM   #1
joeswamp

Default Good portable electric tire inflator

So is it possible to buy one of these that isn't a piece of crap? The Craftsman one I bought two years ago (and used maybe once every few weeks) ended its short life tonight.

At some point I'm going to buy a real compressor and plumb it out but it's probably not gonna happen until spring. In the meantime I'd like to get another inflator -- a 120V one that plugs into the wall.

Is it too much to ask of one of these devices to last more than a year or two? Does anyone make a good one?
joeswamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:43 AM   #2
dankicksass

Default Re: Good portable electric tire inflator

Those things cost as much as a cheap compressor anyway, you can always resell it when you get a decent one. Mrholeshot had instructions on how to get a 6gal compressor from Advance for $60 in the hot deal thread, I believe.
dankicksass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-10-2010, 01:48 AM   #3
usmc_noma

Check craigslist. There should be several small portable compressors in your range or maybe even a larger one for just a little more.
usmc_noma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #4
joeswamp

To clarify, what I'm looking for is something _really_ small to just carry around and inflate car tires, bike tires, etc. What I had before was this:

This thing is a piece of garbage. I looked into it and it appears as if Viair is the only company that makes quality versions of these things. Unfortunately they only make 12V models that hook up to a car battery... Is there such a thing as a small 120V to 12V converter? I suppose I could use a battery charger but I'm not sure if they're designed to take motor loads.

Just annoying that nobody makes a decent 120V tire inflator...
joeswamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
Interex

I've got an old Black & Decker 120v inflator that must be from the mid-90's. It's black with a big heat sink on it. It still works great and never given me any problems. I recently stepped on the air chuck and broke it so it's out of commission at the moment. Here's a pic:

You might want to give their new model a try:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...NCDYMMCR5SJEJX

Looks like it does 120v and 12v.

Last edited by Interex; 12-10-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Interex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
Bruce Lancaster

For the scroungers...1970's-80's-? Cadillacs have a small electric compressor, usually in engine compartment left front, for some sort of air shock leveling device. These seem well made and adapt by simply adding long wire with cigarette lighter plug and pushing a rubber hose with clamp and chuck onto the place where an odd special connector ran the air to the shocks. They work well and are reasonably fast at blowing up tires.

Plomb is the new Snap On.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
brimorga

I think the new black and decker you showed qualifies as a piece of crap. I've read a lot of reviews for that at Amazon and Lowe's and they were not good.

Apparently it has a fuse that blows out easily, but is not made to be replaced. Once that happens, it is toast, unless you are handy with the soldering iron.
brimorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
Interex

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimorga View Post
I think the new black and decker you showed qualifies as a piece of crap. I've read a lot of reviews for that at Amazon and Lowe's and they were not good.

Apparently it has a fuse that blows out easily, but is not made to be replaced. Once that happens, it is toast, unless you are handy with the soldering iron.
That sucks! Another 'don't make them like they used to'.
Interex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
tatra

i buy 12v ones , have a three kicking around, two cheap ones and one good one from costco and use a booster pack.............portability and no need for extension cords..............
tatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #10
brimorga

I don't know what kind of budget you are looking for but Campbell Hausfeld has a number of different options. Below is the most high end one. On homedepot.com and amazon they sell a number of different 120V options.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I've been looking for something decent for a while at a good price. Ultimately I just gave up and bought the 12V Lowe's black friday deal and stacked with a $10 off coupon.
brimorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #11
usmc_noma

I bought one from HF and used it a couple times since I bought it a month ago. No complaints so far but again it's had limited use. It does inflate tires faster than my other small 12v did from Advance Auto. Item 96068
Old 12-10-2010, 12:38 PM   #12
Joe B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_noma View Post
I bought one from HF and used it a couple times since I bought it a month ago. No complaints so far but again it's had limited use. It does inflate tires faster than my other small 12v did from Advance Auto. Item 96068
I would just buy two of these and have a backup.
Joe B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #13
KenS

Quote:
Got same unit pictured from Pep Boys on sale for $25 and it has been a solid, and relatively fast, performer. One warning: The gauge is not exceptionally accurate. I always check the pressure with a dedicated tire gauge after filling.
KenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #14
xroad

Quote:
I returned one last year. It works well but the hose connector to the pump leaks when you wiggle the hose and the connector on the hose. It should not leak right?

It is $25 at HF right now. I have yet to find another one as low price and as small. I am tempted to go and buy it again. Maybe my leaky one was just an unlucky one off the assembly line.

I am generally OK with the $10 crappy one but they get heat up pretty fast. Instruction said not to run it contiuousely for 12 minutes. That is not enough time to do 3 cars (15 tires) in one session.
xroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #15
usmc_noma

I don't trust of those small compressors with a gauge on it. All the one's I've had have been close to 10 psi off what my handheld gauge says. The HF unit is probably the closest I've had. It's approximately 4-6psi off.

If you have a 20% off HF coupon you can get it for $20. When I got mine I think I bought it for $20 after the coupon. A little more than I wanted to spend but I've been pleased with it. I'm actually contemplating buying one for my 2nd and work vehicles.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:18 PM   #16
mrholeshot

The Truck Air 300 is a really good unit. I used to keep one in my 4X4 for pumping the tires back up when coming off a trail. I did put alligator clips and an extension on mine so I could hook right to the battery. I've had mine over 10 years and used it a good bit. I loan it out to my sons a good bit when they go 4 wheeling. Tough ass little unit
Old 12-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #17
lipadj46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrholeshot View Post
The Truck Air 300 is a really good unit. I used to keep one in my 4X4 for pumping the tires back up when coming off a trail. I did put alligator clips and an extension on mine so I could hook right to the battery. I've had mine over 10 years and used it a good bit. I loan it out to my sons a good bit when they go 4 wheeling. Tough ass little unit
+1, for $50 the truck air unit is nice to have around
lipadj46 is offline   Reply With Quote