Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
nopper

Default Opinion Poll: Hot Dawg or Mr Heater??

I've done a lot of reading here and I still cant decide. My concerns are as follows.

1) What is the running noise level of each? I would like something fairly quiet.

2) I know Modine is better equipment but is it worth the extra couple hundred bucks? I dont want to be cheap after all the work it took to run a 1" gas line to my detached garage 100' away.

3) I've pretty much figured on a 75K unit for 700' sq ft, 9' avg ceiling height of uninsulated space. I'm going to beef up the insulation. Is 75K overkill?

Your opinion might help me make a better decision.
nopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
joey d

Default Re: Opinion Poll: Hot Dawg or Mr Heater??

I got a 45K beakon and after looking at other brands at other peoples houses all the heaters seem like they come from the same place. Just like the furnace in the house, these companies buy all the parts and assemble the final product. 75k sounds too big, I got a 24x30 with 9' celings and my unit seems too cycle a little too much and garage never 'feels warm' even at 70*. I think u can get away with 3/4 pipe, or maybee even 1/2
joey d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
regguy1

Either one would be fine, I have the Mr Heater 45K in a 26' x 30' and it heats it just fine. R13 in ceiling and walls. 75K is to large...do the insulation, larger heater won't compensate for no / poor insulation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0962 800K.jpg (144.0 KB, 107 views)
regguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:02 AM   #4
cowboyjosh

i like Modine or Reznor, both are top shelf equipment and are worth their premium price.
cowboyjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
fireman

My 75K Mr. Heater is approx. 6 years old and I've never had a problem with it. As far as noise goes, it is VERY quiet. I can be right next to it and talk on the phone with no problem. I'd but another in a heartbeat. We have Reznor's in all of our fire stations and it seems that there is always 1 or 2 that need repair, and they are MUCH louder than my Mr. Heater. There are older units though so maybe that has something to do with it.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
Relie

I have a Mr. Heater 45,000 heating my 24x40 and it's plenty warm. I don't run it all the time, only because I don't have an on-going project right now. Heats up fast and is warm enough to work in shirt sleves. Wall and ceiling are both insulated.

Dave
Relie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #7
KStrom

I just installed a 75k Modine HotDawg in my 720 sq. ft. shop with 9 ft. ceilings.

It is bigger than it needs to be but my neighbor works in the heat/ac business and got me a 75k unit on sale.

I have newly sheetrocked and insulated walls and ceiling.
I keep it at 45 when I'm not out there working on my motorcycles and it heats it up to working temps in a hurry.

I think a 45 would do it or 60 if you live in cold climates.

KStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
flatheadguy

Mr. Heater 75K natural gas. Bought from Northern Tool. Installed December 20, 2010. My new shop is 30x36x10 pole building. Roof insulation is R30 and the walls are R19. 10x9 overhead doors are insulated. So far, one ceiling fan. Installation of the heater was easy. Outside temp in the 15-25 degree range. Set thermostat to 60 and the heater works beautifully. Very quiet. I could not be more pleased.
flatheadguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:23 AM   #9
69cuda

I just installed a 45k LP Mr heater, it seems to be working great, I havent insulated my celing yet, still trying to figure that out, walls are insulated though. I got it running on Christmas eve and seems perfect so far. I bought from TSC they seem to be the only ones that put them on sale, if I recall it was 30% off. Not loud at all, got it hooked to 2 100lb propane tanks, I will see how long they last. Good luck
69cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #10
SMLDONZI

I've got 2 75k Hot Dawgs just installed in a 1500 sq. foot space with 10 ft ceilings. I was affraid this was overkill but now using the space during a NE Ohio winter, I think its perfect. They run sparingly (well insulated building) but heat the place up in a hurry. Not too loud at all considering the size fan in them.

I had a 45k Hot Dawg in my last garage and it performed flawlessly for about 10-12 years. Just needed some kind of relay recently--roughly $200, but still going strong. There was little question when it came time to heat my new building.
SMLDONZI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #11
Steevo

I don't have a db meter to measure the noise level, but my Mr Heater 75k is very quiet. I was surprised at how quiet it was when I first fired it up.

Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:43 PM   #12
mikester

Ive got a Modine with the sealed combustion chamber that pulls the fresh air from outside. They said it was better for dust and and spraying paint. Works well so far but it does use a lot of propane.
mikester is offline   Reply With Quote