Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Lighting & Electrical

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
John in OH

Default What Tool for Crimping Ground Wires?

Recently I wanted to make a modification to a 120v switch and outlet box in my attached 2-car garage built in 2006.

Upon removing the box cover, I noted that the four bare ground wires were nicely crimped together via a copper "sleeve" with one of the ground wires left extra long for connection to the existing outlet switch body. The copper crimp connector/sleeve is about 3/8" long and about 1/4" in OD (prior to crimping). All four of the bare ground wires passed completely through the sleeve and the sleeve was uniformly crimped ALONG ITS ENTIRE LENGTH thus tightly securing all four ground wires. This long, full length, crimp has obviously been done by a special tool in one crimping action. Very nicely done!! Wish I had taken a photo!

I want to use this same technique on my future electrical work but I need information ... #1 - what is the correct name for this type of sleeve connector? #2 - what tool is used to make this uniform crimp along the entire length of the sleeve? #3 - where can I buy these connectors and this cool tool?
John in OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
nate379
Banned

Default Re: What Tool for Crimping Ground Wires?

I'm just wondering, what issue is there with just using a standard wire nut?
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-12-2010, 07:20 PM   #3
Falcon67

Sounds nice. Normally, you just group all the coppers and twist them up with lineman's pliers, then maybe apply a wire nut.

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread
Falcon67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
John in OH

Nate & Falcon,

As far as I know nothing is wrong with the wire nut technique ... that's the way I've always done it in the past. But this crimped sleeve is such a cool technique to connect ground wires, I want to know how it is done and maybe use this method in the future. You know, it's just the cool factor!!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
mrb

ideal makes them. their website isnt that great - download the catalog and you will find the sleeves and the tools listed for use with them.
mrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
John in OH

mrb .... do you know what this particular crimping tool or technique is called?? It isn't done by the typical crimping tool used for connecting spade or lug connectors.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
mrb

theyre just called crimp sleeves. Ideal 410 is a p/n for the steel ones. Download the catalog and find them in there. In the crimp sleeve product description they list the crimp tools that can be used with them.

(there are many things that will crimp these, but to maintain UL listing integrity crimp connectors and terminals should only be crimped with the tools listed by the crimp connector manufacturer)

lots of linesman pliers also have a crimp die in them for crimping sleeves.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
ecotec

they are called buchanans.
ecotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
ecotec

use these- http://www.service.kleintools.com/To...CUT-HLSCUTCNCR
ecotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
mrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecotec View Post
theyre called crimp sleeves. buchannan (now part of ideal) is one manufacturer of them (as well as wire nuts, terminal strips, and some other stuff). I guess its one of those manufacturer or brand name becomes the generic term for a product such as NM-B = romex, FMC = greenfield, PVC coated GRC = robroy, etc
Old 12-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #11
Djstorm100

http://www.galesburgelectric.com/fil...rge/d_8249.jpg

THis is what I use to crimp lugs on to bigger wires.
Djstorm100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #12
Grogan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecotec View Post
We also just refer to them, generically perhaps, as buchanans. IMO, they're the only way to fly, especially when the device box contains multiple device straps, thus requiring more than one ground pigtail. They take up a lot less room in the box than a wire nut, and a lot less room to store. They come in several sizes, and insulating caps can also be purchased for them.

Ideal's Buchanan 4-way crimp tool here:

http://www.telephonesystems.info/cat...&utm_term=C-24

Last edited by Grogan14; 12-12-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Grogan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #13
Norcal

http://www.tequipment.net/IdealC24.asp Really one of the few tools that are listed for splice caps...
Norcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #14
Greatbear

The next best thing is a wire nut called "Greenie" sold by Ideal. It's a normal-looking wire nut, but green in color and there's a hole in the top ofit . You assemble your wires, leaving one of them long, slide the nut down the wire to the rest of them and twist. Makes for a neat job, with one less wire needed in the batch for a pigtail.

There are other versions that have an attached stranded wire pigtail about 7 inches long with a forked lug connector on the other end.
Greatbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:17 AM   #15
MrMark

You want this http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

or its lesser cousins.

The crimp sleeves are nice to repair ground wires that some jack ass cut too short and they are ideal for multiple pigtail situations as a poster above noted.

They do have a downside, though. They are tough to take apart. Also be very careful to make sure that you use a listed combination of wires.
MrMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:39 AM   #16
mrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark View Post
You want this http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

or its lesser cousins.

The crimp sleeves are nice to repair ground wires that some jack ass cut too short and they are ideal for multiple pigtail situations as a poster above noted.

They do have a downside, though. They are tough to take apart. Also be very careful to make sure that you use a listed combination of wires.
thats not the right tool for 'electrical' crimp sleeves. one should be using the crimper speecified by the sleeve manufacturer. For example C24 with buchannan sleeves, or one of the 4 or 5 tools listed with the Ideal 400 series sleeves.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:45 AM   #17
MrMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb View Post
thats not the right tool for 'electrical' crimp sleeves. one should be using the crimper speecified by the sleeve manufacturer. For example C24 with buchannan sleeves, or one of the 4 or 5 tools listed with the Ideal 400 series sleeves.
are you sure about that? Why does it look exactly like the Klein version, the Thomas and Betts version and the crimp die on the Klein lineman pliers?

I use Ideal 410 sleeves with it. Are you telling me that is not right? You better have some good evidence. No Harbor Freight stories.

Last edited by MrMark; 12-13-2010 at 01:47 AM.
MrMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:51 AM   #18
Grogan14

Quote:
are you sure about that?
Incorrect for what the OP was talking about.
Grogan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:51 AM   #19
ishiboo

Quote:
are you sure about that? Why does it look exactly like the Klein version, the Thomas and Betts version and the crimp die on the Klein lineman pliers?

I use Ideal 410 sleeves with it. Are you telling me that is not right? You better have some good evidence. No Harbor Freight stories.
That crimper crimps the basic red/blue/yellow crimp connectors, which take one conductor each. Not the multiple-conductor crimps.

Could it crimp one? Maybe, so could a lineman's pliers, a vise or a hammer

Crimping anything requires very specific parameters to make a GOOD, long-lasting crimp, so typically one die is not successful at crimping more than one connector. Personally, for the red/blue/yellow conductors, I'd much prefer a ratcheting crimper anyway.
ishiboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #20
padronanniversary

For a correct crimp on a specific device, a proper crimp tool is required. This essential in high current applications because you start getting a resistive junction that deteriorates in the crimp itself if not properly crimped. I deal in DC currents all day long and we see so many failures of the crimp joint because people tend to use a junk crimper (hand in China) vs a automated die crimp with the proper die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishiboo View Post
That crimper crimps the basic red/blue/yellow crimp connectors, which take one conductor each. Not the multiple-conductor crimps.

Could it crimp one? Maybe, so could a lineman's pliers, a vise or a hammer

Crimping anything requires very specific parameters to make a GOOD, long-lasting crimp, so typically one die is not successful at crimping more than one connector. Personally, for the red/blue/yellow conductors, I'd much prefer a ratcheting crimper anyway.
padronanniversary is offline   Reply With Quote