Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
Suprman

Default how to get police report amended? insurance company woes

I had a Truck stolen and the officer didn't list anything inside of the car, just that the car was stolen. well the insurance company is telling me i need everything that was stolen on the police report. this has been a nightmare. anyone know the best way about getting the report amended to include the list of items that was stolen?

also what is the best way to compile all my tools and items that were in the truck when it was stolen so the insurance company will take it. am i responsible for figuring out what the worth of the items are or are they? how specific do i have to be in describing everything? thanks
Suprman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
Chatam/Garage

Default Re: how to get police report amended? insurance company woes

I won't get into your last paragraph but will on the first. You should be able to get back with the initial reporting Officer, explain to him/her that you would like to have a supplemental report attached/added with the original. Even something as simple as a line item list hand written on some note pad paper provided by you should do the trick, i.e., Panasonic stereo, serial number if you have it, fair cost to replace the item, things like that, and then onto the next item & so forth. If the Officer is unwilling to do this (highly unlikely) then go to his supervisor, which I doubt will be required. I hope this bit of info proves helpful; I was in LE myself for over a decade too.
Chatam/Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-13-2010, 05:22 PM   #3
caper150

Exactly, get ahold of the officer and tell him what the ins co wants and ask if he could do a supplemental to the original report to add the items inside.
caper150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
ddawg16

This is another example of where it helps to list what part of the country you live in. The process will vary from state to state.

With us, if you say that you had a bunch of stuff in there but it will take some time to compile the list/get S/N's...we hand you a suplimental loss report...you list the items...take to the station and it becomes a part of the report.

Real important part here....unless there is some note on the report of additional items in the truck....you may have issues even if you amend the report later...a VERY common thing that happens is that after the fact someone thinks..."Hey, I'll just pad that list a bit and let the insurance company buy me some additional tools". Yea, I know your going to say your not the type to do something like that....but just about anyone when given the oppertunity to get something for free....will jump at it...human nature....and the insurance companies know about human nature....especially the greed part.

One other thing....marking tools....unless there is some destingushing mark on them....good chance you won't get them back....toss 20 SO 1/2 wrenches in a pile and try to pick out yours? Even I'm bad....I don't have most of my tools marked and only some of the S/N's recorded.

"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

In Progress...2-Story Addition link
2-Story Garage Complete My Garage Build Link
Home for.....
84 CJ7 - With a 'few' modifications.. My Jeep Build Link
And my wife's art Studio...
and 3 kids with more energy than we have...
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
Thedroid

I had my house hit last year, and they came out and made the report and gave me a fax number that way I could get more specific. Even aftersupplying my list theytold me I could ammend it anytime if I discovered something else missing. I turned in the same list to insurance, and I did provide list prices on everything. They asked me to provide an estimated purchase date for everything so they could depreciate it according to their formula. No other questions asked.
Thedroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
weadjust

Here is personal property inventory form. Leave the last two columns blank.

http://www.claimspages.com/documents/download/2210F.pdf
weadjust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:57 PM   #7
Suprman

Thanks everyone, been working on this the last couple hours and man did i keep alot of crap in my truck.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:04 PM   #8
Suprman

One quick Question.

I had the keys to my mustangs in the truck. do i just call around for estimates on getting the cars rekeyed? they are in storage, but can't move them or anything since i don't have keys for them.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:06 PM   #9
spongerich

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper150 View Post
Exactly, get ahold of the officer and tell him what the ins co wants and ask if he could do a supplemental to the original report to add the items inside.
It's probably not a bad idea to bring some coffee. (And of course, a donut)

See my eBay listings here.
spongerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
NJHandyGuy

Send a message via AIM to NJHandyGuy

Yes anytime you have keys missing do this but if the theif finds something with home addy and the cars there they can look for it
www.Libertytowing.webs.com
NJHandyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:34 PM   #11
Suprman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHandyGuy View Post
Yes anytime you have keys missing do this but if the theif finds something with home addy and the cars there they can look for it
luckily i moved from that apartment soon after and put the cars in storage. had to yank them onto my trailer just like you would do!
Old 12-13-2010, 11:22 PM   #12
Skyline

Suprman;

Sucks to have a vehicle stolen. Just curious, are you filing a claim for the contents of your truck to your auto policy or your homeowner's policy?
Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:32 PM   #13
Suprman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
Suprman;

Sucks to have a vehicle stolen. Just curious, are you filing a claim for the contents of your truck to your auto policy or your homeowner's policy?
i thought it would be covered under auto, but i have the same company for both and after they didn't cover it when i got my check for auto, i had to make a claim with the homeowners policy.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #14
Skyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprman View Post
i thought it would be covered t riderunder auto, but i have the same company for both and after they didn't cover it when i got my check for auto, i had to make a claim with the homeowners policy.
That's what I figured. Hopefully you have an off-premesis theft endorsement on your homeowner's policy. Another issue is whether you have replacement cost on 'contents'. Otherwise expect Actual Cash Value, which is replacement cost less depreciation.

I wonder if anyone else can chime in about how insurers try to depreciate tools; especially those with lifetime guarantees. Seems to me these are items that can last virtually forever, so an arguement could be made that they should not be depreciated at all. Maybe they'll just pay based on used value; you could, for example, replace them on eBay for 45% of new.
Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #15
Crank1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongerich View Post
It's probably not a bad idea to bring some coffee. (And of course, a donut)
HAHAHA, Hilarious!!!
Crank1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #16
JerryTX

Ditto on the supplemental report if you realize anything else is missing.

What I do is keep a spreadsheet and photos of all my tools. Spreadsheet contains type of tool, brand, where I bought it, how much I paid, and a number for which receipt its on. So I mark each receipt with a number and then log that number in the spreadsheet. I also scan the receipt into the computer so I have a copy that is easy to get to as well as a paper copy in a file.

If you have some items that are expensive/hard to replace you might think about putting a special insurance policy on them. I have one on my wife's jewelry collection. Typically all they want is some type of proof of value and a description of the item.
JerryTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #17
Thedroid

When mine were stolen most handtools were depreciated at 5 or 10% per year, don't remember exactly. Power tools and electronics i believe were 20% per year. If I bought the exact same item and provided the reciept, they would pay the difference. I thought it was a very fair policy, and had no complaints.
Thedroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #18
Suprman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedroid View Post
When mine were stolen most handtools were depreciated at 5 or 10% per year, don't remember exactly. Power tools and electronics i believe were 20% per year. If I bought the exact same item and provided the reciept, they would pay the difference. I thought it was a very fair policy, and had no complaints.
I talked to insurance and they also told me if i buy the exact item, they will pay the difference.

guess i could buy everything on my list and then return things after i get my difference check, but i just want to be made whole again.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #19
Lkdelta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post

..."Hey, I'll just pad that list a bit and let the insurance company buy me some additional tools". Yea, I know your going to say your not the type to do something like that....but just about anyone when given the oppertunity to get something for free....will jump at it...human nature....and the insurance companies know about human nature....especially the greed part.
From the looks of my insurance premiums, the insurance company definitely knows about human nature and greed...the company seems to be the greedy one though