Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-12-2007, 08:22 AM   #1
Piper

Default review of 4 4-post lifts from Performance car show

Hi Everyone

I attended the Performance World Car show in Toronto this past weekend with the sole purpose of seeing in person 4 post lifts. I plan on purchasing one of these lifts within a year. Before I go any further, just fyi, I don't work for any lift company, group or anything like that. I value my money just as much as you do. I'm certainly not selling anything but am giving you my personal observations and info from the lift manufacturers/distributors.

There were 4 lifts for people to see. The Revolution by Rotary, the pro park 7, the restomod stacker from the Lift Superstore and the pro park 7 by Forward. (of interest is the same name lift by different companies tm infringement??).

The Revolution is made in USA, with made in USA steel, is rated at 7000lbs. The other 3 lifts are all made "overseas" and when I pushed for where oversea, was told China. The Restomod stacker does use a US made hydraulic/electrical pump. Both pro-park 7's and the restomod stacker have a hydraulic line which goes from the pump to the ram via an unprotected hose which attaches to the runway side about 2 feet from the post. This seems like a very unprotected design at most and a trip/catch hazard at the least. The Rotary lift has the hose protected and it travels underneath the runway. None of the lifts require air to operate the locks. The 2 propark lifts have angle iron sections which are welded to each of the 4 posts. Welded within the angle iron are steel blocks, approximately 3/4" by 1" which act to catch the runway lock at the lift rises. The Restomod stacker has a similar design but doesn't use angle iron instead using a U iron, giving a larger weld surface. These locks engage like when you extend and extension ladder. The Revolution lift uses a single piece of stamped steel which has a series of square holes through it's length. This steel section is enclosed with each post. As the runways rise, the lock clicks into each of the square holes. This is one continuous piece of steel, no welds. Each lift uses a hydraulic ram, the revolution one is serviceable according to the rotary rep, the other reps "didn't know" about service but felt it didn't need service as it was such a good product. All lifts are powder coated, the Revolution offers 4 colour choices. Each lift comes with a castor option, jack trays, oil spill tray, 110v or 220v option. The both propark 7 reps told me to anchor each post with 1 lag bolt into the ground "just to be on the safe side". The revolution lift rep said not to. As shipped without jack trays, castors, the Revolution is 2011lbs, the propark 7 is 1620lbs, the propark 7 by Forward is 1588lbs, the restomod stacker is 1650lbs. The cost for the Revolution is $4747, the restomod stacker is $2975, the Forward propark 7 is $2395 (and comes with free castor kit, 3 drip trays and 1 jack tray) the other propark 7 is $2495. All prices are Canadian. Of interest is the comment from the Forward Propark rep regarding ALI and ETL certification. He told me that they certify their "industrial lifts" but not their "home lifts" as the industrial lifts need it, but the home ones are fine without. (Apparently gravity applies differently at my home which I didn't know.) The revolution lift is ALI ETL certified. The other 2 lifts aren't certified and didn't want to discuss this fact.

There are lots of other smaller points such as lift height, length, width which if you're interested I'd happily share. PM me and I'll try to answer any questions. Of a sad note is that Bendpak wasn't at the show. As another ALI, ETL lift I would really have liked to see it.

If you are in the market for a lift I'd really suggest you seek them out. The internet is a great source but you can't see welds on a screen. For my money I'm going with the Revolution. Sure it's the most expensive but I know it's for good reasons. Heck, do one brake job yourself as compared to having the dealership do it and you've covered the difference in the cost of the Revolution lift.

Anyway, FWIW, my 2 cents.

Piper
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:50 AM   #2
wilbilt
Banned

Default Re: review of 4 4-post lifts from Performance car show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper
(Apparently gravity applies differently at my home which I didn't know.) The revolution lift is ALI ETL certified. The other 2 lifts aren't certified and didn't want to discuss this fact.
The truth is that gravity works differently in China. If it's not certified, I'm not getting under it, period.
wilbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-12-2007, 09:06 AM   #3
OldCarGuy

I'm with Wilbilt on this one!

My "Class Act" Car Hauler's===> Structural Failure

OldCarGuy's New Toy Shop Complex
OldCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:11 AM   #4
MAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbilt
The truth is that gravity works differently in China. If it's not certified, I'm not getting under it, period.
This is because China is on the other side of the globe compared to us. These lifts were manufactured upside down and the natural tendency is for the lift to want to fall up. Certification is really not necessary; just make sure you bolt 'em down extra well.

Wow, all of that high school physics is coming back to me.
MAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
Junkman

Not all of the Bend Pak lifts are certified. You need to go to the ALI Website and check to see if the model that you are interested in is listed as being certified. With Bend Pak, all that I can guess is that some models are not as popular, and the don't want to spend the money to have it certified. I have no idea of cost of certification, but it must be expensive. Thanks for the reviews.

Men wake up as good-looking as they went to bed.
Women somehow deteriorate during the night.

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:25 AM   #6
Beegs

Look at the weight specs, Revolution is heaviest, hmmmm.... I wonder if that means they use more and heavier steel?? LOL Plus I like the design of having the locks go into a "cut" hole. The "welded lug" scare me a bit. I can picture the overseas guy early Monday morning, hungover from too much saki over the weekend, trying to weld up those lugs. Penetration? Maybe, maybe not.

More weight with the Rotary name means quality and being able to obtain parts in 10 years from now if you should need them.

Someone here a while back offered very good Revolution pricing, I'll see if I can find the post.

If I hadn't spent sooo much money on my shop I would have one by now, hoping to order one in the next couple of months.
Beegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:15 AM   #7
cc_rider

Thanks for the reviews, that's awesome!

More ammunition for sticking with Rotary. 'US Made' would nearly have sealed the deal anyway, but knowing about those little details is very reassuring. I'd rather wait until I can afford the real thing instead of settling for a lesser item. Besides, I intend to have it the rest of my life. Well, if I got one of those 'imported' models, I just might!

Thanks again for the great info!

c.
cc_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:03 PM   #8
W-Cummins
Too much stuff

Quote:

I'm now converted I see the light!!!

Yep me too.... I guess I'm going to have to take the cutting torch to my dam piece of crap rotary lift. I'm going to have to decommission it before it falls on my head. How in the hell could thouse SOB rotary people build some thing so unsafe. I think the goverment should demand that they recall it and GIVE me a lift with that safey certification sticker on the side of it...

I just must be dam luckey to still be alive....

William....

1998 Dodge 3500 12 Valve TST 10, 3K GSK, ddp stage IV injectors, SB con-Fe
1987 Chevy 3500 24 valve Cummins, Nv4500, DD#2 injectors, Edge Comp
1955 Ford F100
1941 Chevy Panel
W-Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:16 PM   #9
wilbilt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-Cummins
I'm now converted I see the light!!!

Yep me too.... I guess I'm going to have to take the cutting torch to my dam piece of crap rotary lift. I'm going to have to decommission it before it falls on my head. How in the hell could thouse SOB rotary people build some thing so unsafe. I think the goverment should demand that they recall it and GIVE me a lift with that safey certification sticker on the side of it...

I just must be dam luckey to still be alive....

William....
No attempts at religious conversion....just my opinion. I am kind of particular when something weighing a few tons is suspended over my head. As in all things in life, do what works for you.
wilbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:45 PM   #10
mikeyr

Lifts Unlimited lifts have failed on one car, its in the pics from Backyard Buddy...think I will sell mine ? NOPE...certification is just a way for a manufacturer to get a few more dollars, nothing else. The lifts unlimited lift that failed was a design flaw that would not have been caught by certification since several of the "certified" lifts had to also fix their lifts afterwards for the same flaw...

Get the lift you are comfortable with and be happy...
mikeyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:58 PM   #11
Junkman

What was the flaw and how did they fix it? What other companies had the same flaw on there lifts prior to this lifts failure?

Men wake up as good-looking as they went to bed.
Women somehow deteriorate during the night.

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:07 AM   #12
W-Cummins
Too much stuff

Quote:
No attempts at religious conversion....just my opinion. I am kind of particular when something weighing a few tons is suspended over my head. As in all things in life, do what works for you.
You do know that all the certification crap is a recent deal, and if you have been working under a lift for very long they all used to be non certified! My non certified rotary seems to be just fine. How did they manage to make one before the certification testing that wouldn't fall down?? :-) Oh yeah that's right they tested it in house.

William...
W-Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #13
Shreck

I am new here, I was refered to your site.

I am looking for a stacker, but scared to buy a Chinese lift, I have read about the Revolution lift. The first time I saw one was on extreme house make over. I was very impressed.

However there is another American made lift, I am wondering if anyone here has feed back on the Dasilva lift.

http://www.liftmycar.com/models.htm

I also believe there is a Canadian company in Alberta that will ship to Toronto.
Shreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:23 PM   #14
usa#1

I've had a Revolution for several years. Even though I have one, I have to say it is well build. I got the 220v model and went with two jack trays and the wheel kit. I looked at 4 or 5 other brands before going with the Rotary. (It took me several months to decide on the one I wanted. I had each manufacturer I was interested in locate an owner near me and arrange for me to go see an actual unit that had been shipped to a customer.) The Rotary just seemed to be the one I thought I would be most comfortable being under with a car on it. I also noticed the advertised weight of the Rotary was significantly more than the other brands I looked at, although I had no way to verify if it actually weighed more than the other units.
usa#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:35 PM   #15
Nealcrenshaw

I'm curious as to why go with a four post lift over a two post. I've been looking at the lifts over at www.gregsmithequipment.com.
With the two post seems like you'll be able to save on room,but you have to adjust the arms frequently,and the four post you lose space with probably less runway adjustment.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:41 PM   #16
Shocker

I drove down to Portland, OR a few months ago and looked at this:

http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/...k8standard.htm

Direct Lift Pro Park 8. It is a certified lift. Very nice. Has the one piece slot bar in the uprights. $1895.

I am saving up for it and hope to have it by summertime.
Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:46 AM   #17
krooser

I know money is tight with a lot of guys but does it make sense to buy a cheap lift when you LIFE may be at risk? Sure, it will never happen to you but what if you're one of "the other guys"...

Buying expensive cars and putting them on cheap lifts is backwards to me....
krooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #18
SteveU

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooser View Post
I know money is tight with a lot of guys but does it make sense to buy a cheap lift when you LIFE may be at risk? Sure, it will never happen to you but what if you're one of "the other guys"...

Buying expensive cars and putting them on cheap lifts is backwards to me....

Especially considering how many years you will have them. Buy a new car & it will last maybe 10-15 yrs while a good lift will last a lifetime.
SteveU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #19
Danglerb

Good old FUD, fog uncertainty and doubt, works great when you have no facts.

A four post lift allows you to drive on and off without fussing with anything. Very popular for those that want to park 3 cars in a two car garage.

Most lifts do last a very long time, and don't have much that typically wears, but ALL lifts should be carefully and completely inspected from time to time.
Danglerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:05 AM   #20
Shocker

Ok guys. I have read so many posts about the quality of lifts and that your life is in danger if you buy a lift that isn't this or that.

Does anyone have any statistics on this? Have you guys been reading about all the crushed guys and lost fingers/arms/legs from these cheaper lifts?

Do these various lifts fail all the time?

Personally, I see the point. It is a risk I suppose. It only takes one. But I sure would like to see some data on all this.

I have been doing some searching on the web for incidents and I found one post on Corvette Forum with pics showing a failed 4 poster (Autolifter). That was in 2006, but that is all I could find in some basic searching.

The Direct Lift I looked at seemed very well built. It does have the certification. Does that make is a dangerous lift if it is made in China? It weighs in at 1720lbs.

Not trying to be a dick, but spending more money on something doesn't assure quality and safety.

If you have some incidents of failures of any kind, post them. Lets hear about those incidents and not random "your life is in danger" and such.
Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote